The ArgusFire crews called to freak fire started by a mirror (From The Argus)

Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.

Fire crews called to freak fire started by a mirror

The Argus: Fire crews called to freak fire started by a mirror Fire crews called to freak fire started by a mirror

Firefighters have issued a warning after the glare of the sun reflected from a mirror and set fire to curtains.

Crews from East Grinstead and Crawley were called to the terraced house in East Street in Turners Hill at 11.25 this morning after a make-up mirror on a bedroom table reflected sunlight onto the curtains which smouldered and then caught light.

Fortunately, the property was fitted with a working smoke detector and although the occupier was out at the time a neighbour heard the detector activating and raised the alarm.

On arrival fire crews wearing breathing apparatus entered the house and quickly put the fire out using a hose reel and carbon dioxide extinguisher, preventing the fire from spreading to the rest of the property.

Keith Lanaway, crew commander from East Grinstead Fire Station, said: "This may sound like a freak incident, but it isn't the first time our fire service has attended a fire starting in this way.

“Our advice is, wherever possible; make sure mirrors and glass ornaments are not positioned in strong sunlight or on windowsills."

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree