Brighton's main political parties are finding common ground to help clean Brighton Beach.
Brighton and Hove’s Labour party, Conservatives and Liberal Democrats will join the Green Party in supporting the Big Beach Clean-up on May 27.
All political parties agree that the beach is one of the city’s biggest assets and are backing the event, part of the new City Makers initiative.
Warren Morgan, the Brighton Labour leader, said: “The beach is the city’s biggest attraction and we need to look after it.
“I will be joining The Argus Big Beach Clean-up again this year along with a big team of Labour councillors, candidates and members who believe in getting the basics right and who want to keep our beach clean.”
Geoffrey Theobald, leader of the Brighton and Hove Conservative Group, said: “I’m delighted to be supporting the Argus’ Big Beach Clean-up again this year. Last year’s Clean-up was a huge success, with residents and businesses turning out in numbers.
“It just goes to show the huge sense of pride there is in our city and underlines how important it is that our shop window is kept clean and attractive.”
Last year, Big Beach Clean-up volunteers did their bit by collecting almost half a tonne of rubbish, enough to half fill a Cityclean vehicle.
More than ten tonnes of rubbish can be found on Brighton’s seafront after
a busy weekend so we can all do our bit to help the council clean-up.
The event will run from 8.30am to 10.30am, with volunteers meet- ing at The Palace Pier. All volunteers are welcome.
The Big Beach Clean-up will be part of The City Makers initiative led by The Argus, inviting readers to come up with other projects for volunteers to help with.
For more information and if you wish to help at the Clean-up call 01273 544516 or simply turn up on the day.
- Flash-floods wreak havoc in and around Brighton
- AT LAST! How to stop nuisance PPI calls with one text message
- Last chance to see exhibition of work by master forger
- 10 funny ways of dealing with cold callers
- Students left in tears after being forced to abandon exams due to bomb hoax