Lancing Prep School classroom filled with smoke in unusual fire

Fire started by crystal ball

Fire started by crystal ball

First published in News
Last updated
by , Reporter

Firefighters were called to extinguish a fire which was started by a crystal ball.

The crew from Hove Community Fire Station were called to Lancing Preparatory School in The Droveway, Hove, at about 7pm to deal with a classroom that had been filled with smoke. 

The fire had started by sunlight shining through a crystal ball which was near a scarf and the heat generated began to burn the scarf. 

The firefighters were able to deal with the blaze by fanning out the smoke, and although unusual, an officer who attended the incident told The Argus is was not the first time he had been called out to a scene like this. 

He said: "It's really unusual, and although it's the first time I've ever been called out to a fire caused by a crystal ball, I did go to a fire a few years back which was started similarly. 

"There was a little old lady working on a crossword and she was severely visually impaired. 

"I can't remember if it was a thick pair of reading glasses or a magnifying glass, but the sunlight came in through a balcony, through the glasses or magnifying glass and set her crossword alight."

The incident could have been a lot worse according if proposed cuts to the fire service were to go ahead, according to the officer. 

He said: "In the current climate we're in and the cuts we're facing, this was a lucky one really.

"We were alerted to this by a fire alarm panel - and this is one of the things that looks set to be cut if the proposed changes go ahead. 

"It was fortunate we were there and were able to attend, otherwise the situation could have been a lot worse for Lancing Prep School.

"It highlights the importance of these things and it would have been a different situation if the cuts had been put in place."

There were no reported injuries.

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:27am Sat 24 May 14

Roger Francais says...

Bet no one predicted that eh kids? (ahem)
Bet no one predicted that eh kids? (ahem) Roger Francais
  • Score: 8

10:06am Sat 24 May 14

clubrob6 says...

OHH dear think a fortune teller has just been made redundant.
OHH dear think a fortune teller has just been made redundant. clubrob6
  • Score: 2

10:09am Sat 24 May 14

pwlr1966 says...

What kind of stuff are they teaching, is this hog worts in disguise ?
What kind of stuff are they teaching, is this hog worts in disguise ? pwlr1966
  • Score: 3

10:31am Sat 24 May 14

jillyb1 says...

Wow , didn't foresee that !
Wow , didn't foresee that ! jillyb1
  • Score: 3

10:44am Sat 24 May 14

redwing says...

The last kids who need to see if their futures are financially secure too.
The last kids who need to see if their futures are financially secure too. redwing
  • Score: 2

11:50am Sat 24 May 14

Flydave123 says...

I see a tall dark handsome man wearing a uniform... and breathing apparatus?
I see a tall dark handsome man wearing a uniform... and breathing apparatus? Flydave123
  • Score: 7

1:02pm Sat 24 May 14

ZeeGee, ffs says...

Who is the misery who is giving 'thumbs down' to a series of jocular comments?
Who is the misery who is giving 'thumbs down' to a series of jocular comments? ZeeGee, ffs
  • Score: -9

2:38pm Sat 24 May 14

Mr chock says...

am i right in thinking then the fire broke out at about 7 pm not during school time and the alarms went off to inform the inhouse caretaker and they called the fire service and nobody was present to actually use the in school fire extinguishers . the real story is who left the crystal ball in the building a similar fire happened just recently and burnt an entire wing of a school
http://www.theargus.
co.uk/news/1909391.A
rson_attacks_cost_sc
hools_millions/
schools are full of flammable materials maybe its time to re think the loss of many caretakers jobs .
am i right in thinking then the fire broke out at about 7 pm not during school time and the alarms went off to inform the inhouse caretaker and they called the fire service and nobody was present to actually use the in school fire extinguishers . the real story is who left the crystal ball in the building a similar fire happened just recently and burnt an entire wing of a school http://www.theargus. co.uk/news/1909391.A rson_attacks_cost_sc hools_millions/ schools are full of flammable materials maybe its time to re think the loss of many caretakers jobs . Mr chock
  • Score: -5

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree