Hate crime has risen by almost a third across the county in 12 months

Wayne Jones

Wayne Jones

First published in News by

HATE crime has risen by almost a third across the county in 12 months.

One thousand and nine hate crimes targeting race, religion, disability and sexual orientation were reported in Sussex from April 2013 to March 2014 – compared to just 786 in the 12 months before.

However, instead of issuing concern at the findings, police chiefs have welcomed the news.

Chief Superintendent Wayne Jones, force lead for hate crime, said: “It is not often that you hear a senior police officer applauding the fact that crime has gone up, but I am pleased as it demonstrates growing trust and confidence in victims to report what is a most personal of crimes.

“However, we are not complacent. Although we see these figures as positive, we acknowledge we have much more to do to achieve a level of reporting that mirrors the full picture of hate-based harm experienced by many people across Sussex every day.”

Crimes against disability and religion shot up by around 50%, with 80 and 71 reports compared to 48 and 35 in the previous 12-month period.

Elsewhere there were 731 hate crimes targeting race, 144 against sexual orientation and 24 against transgender people.

In the previous 12 months there were just 564, 119 and 20 respectively.

The force also recorded 299 hate incidents, which is behaviour that does not constitute a criminal offence but is motivated by prejudice or hostility.

They included 37 focused on disability, 182 against race, 30 against religion, 51 against sexual orientation and 16 focusing on transgender people.

Sergeant Peter Allan, force hate crime sergeant, said more work had to be done: “We acknowledge that not everyone is comfortable reporting hate crimes to the police for a variety of reasons.

“We are working hard to increase trust and confidence of victims and to make it easier to report it directly to us.

“During the coming year we plan to continue our work with partner agencies who already take reports of hate crime to establish a network of Hate Incident Reporting Centres and Hate Crime Ambassadors in communities.”

He added: We are also developing an updated version of our online reporting form.”

Anyone who has been a victim of hate crime or has witnessed a hate crime should call police on 101 or 999 if it is an emergency. Crimes can also be reported online at www.sussex.police.uk.

Comments (22)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:27am Fri 30 May 14

leftysmellbags says...

Does this include the Cornish???
Does this include the Cornish??? leftysmellbags
  • Score: 0

8:59am Fri 30 May 14

clubrob6 says...

Most people wont bother reporting such crimes as very little can be done by the police especially after the cuts.Official crime figures are dow but in reality they are not its just that we have fewer police on duty to record any.Local police stations have closed down and as I found out the police on line reporting just gets ignored.Last weekend a bank holiday weekend demonstrated the police have been cut too much when they admitted they did not have the manpower to stop an illegal rave.Although serious for the victim I don't think the police have the time or the man power to investigate hate crime.
Most people wont bother reporting such crimes as very little can be done by the police especially after the cuts.Official crime figures are dow but in reality they are not its just that we have fewer police on duty to record any.Local police stations have closed down and as I found out the police on line reporting just gets ignored.Last weekend a bank holiday weekend demonstrated the police have been cut too much when they admitted they did not have the manpower to stop an illegal rave.Although serious for the victim I don't think the police have the time or the man power to investigate hate crime. clubrob6
  • Score: 1

9:19am Fri 30 May 14

hubby says...

Just because I disagree with someones religious beliefs,sexual orientation or the way they live........doesn't mean I HATE them!!!!!
Today it seems that nobody is allowed an opinion unless it conforms to that of the wishy washy PC brigade.
My school had a debating society.
Today the debate would last about two minutes as everybody would have to agree with each other or be vilified.
Just because I disagree with someones religious beliefs,sexual orientation or the way they live........doesn't mean I HATE them!!!!! Today it seems that nobody is allowed an opinion unless it conforms to that of the wishy washy PC brigade. My school had a debating society. Today the debate would last about two minutes as everybody would have to agree with each other or be vilified. hubby
  • Score: 2

10:17am Fri 30 May 14

FC says...

I wonder if you could chart this rise in hate crime with the rise in "support" for UKIP...?
I wonder if you could chart this rise in hate crime with the rise in "support" for UKIP...? FC
  • Score: 0

10:19am Fri 30 May 14

spa301 says...

FC wrote:
I wonder if you could chart this rise in hate crime with the rise in "support" for UKIP...?
No I doubt you could.
[quote][p][bold]FC[/bold] wrote: I wonder if you could chart this rise in hate crime with the rise in "support" for UKIP...?[/p][/quote]No I doubt you could. spa301
  • Score: 0

10:26am Fri 30 May 14

redwing says...

“It is not often that you hear a senior police officer applauding the fact that crime has gone up, but I am pleased as it demonstrates growing trust and confidence in victims to report what is a most personal of crimes."
Pure speculation. He can't know this. It could just as easily be that the actual number of crimes has risen. Indeed the way that the government and the media and UKIP are encouraging the blaming of groups like the jobless, disabled, homeless and ethnic minorities for the state of the economy and more, that seems rather likely.
“It is not often that you hear a senior police officer applauding the fact that crime has gone up, but I am pleased as it demonstrates growing trust and confidence in victims to report what is a most personal of crimes." Pure speculation. He can't know this. It could just as easily be that the actual number of crimes has risen. Indeed the way that the government and the media and UKIP are encouraging the blaming of groups like the jobless, disabled, homeless and ethnic minorities for the state of the economy and more, that seems rather likely. redwing
  • Score: 5

10:52am Fri 30 May 14

ZeeGee, ffs says...

Let's not forget that a 'hate crime' is something as pathetic as saying you don't like homosexuality or complaining that a wheelchair user had misused the pavement or saying that some bloke in a dress looks a freak.

People get offended at the slightest thing.

It just shows, though, that some people aren't afraid to speak their mind, and I applaud them.

To those who report, I suggest you grow a spine and get on with your day.
Let's not forget that a 'hate crime' is something as pathetic as saying you don't like homosexuality or complaining that a wheelchair user had misused the pavement or saying that some bloke in a dress looks a freak. People get offended at the slightest thing. It just shows, though, that some people aren't afraid to speak their mind, and I applaud them. To those who report, I suggest you grow a spine and get on with your day. ZeeGee, ffs
  • Score: 2

2:22pm Fri 30 May 14

Gribbet says...

FC wrote:
I wonder if you could chart this rise in hate crime with the rise in "support" for UKIP...?
Yeah, definitely a correlation there.

The two trends couldn't possibly be related though because UKIP and their voters keep shouting about how un-racist they are all the time. They're totally not racist in fact, they just don't want either foreigners or Lenny Henry living next door to them.
[quote][p][bold]FC[/bold] wrote: I wonder if you could chart this rise in hate crime with the rise in "support" for UKIP...?[/p][/quote]Yeah, definitely a correlation there. The two trends couldn't possibly be related though because UKIP and their voters keep shouting about how un-racist they are all the time. They're totally not racist in fact, they just don't want either foreigners or Lenny Henry living next door to them. Gribbet
  • Score: -2

2:54pm Fri 30 May 14

her professional says...

Funny how the most abusive posts on here always come from people who start off by saying "you can't even say xxxxxx nowadays without the lefty/green/PC brigade coming down on you". Little bit of contradiction there.
Funny how the most abusive posts on here always come from people who start off by saying "you can't even say xxxxxx nowadays without the lefty/green/PC brigade coming down on you". Little bit of contradiction there. her professional
  • Score: -1

2:56pm Fri 30 May 14

divers69 says...

her professional wrote:
hubby wrote:
I wouldn't want Lenny Henry living next door to me,but that is because he is an unfunny,pompous pr1ck.Nothing to do with the colour of his skin.
And two pompous pr@cks living next door to each other would be just too much.
love it !
[quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hubby[/bold] wrote: I wouldn't want Lenny Henry living next door to me,but that is because he is an unfunny,pompous pr1ck.Nothing to do with the colour of his skin.[/p][/quote]And two pompous pr@cks living next door to each other would be just too much.[/p][/quote]love it ! divers69
  • Score: 2

3:42pm Fri 30 May 14

PorkyChopper says...

her professional wrote:
Funny how the most abusive posts on here always come from people who start off by saying "you can't even say xxxxxx nowadays without the lefty/green/PC brigade coming down on you". Little bit of contradiction there.
No. Usually it goes like this. e.g. "I think that we should have a proper debate in this country about immigration". to be replied with "Oh, I see. So you want to round up all foreigners and send them to be gassed in concentration camps? You are a Facist and a Nartsy. Did you know that Britain has had at least 10 million immigrants every year from Jamaica and Lebanon since 237 AD? Did you know that if you can trace your ancestry back hundreds of years in this country, it means that you are German, but if you fall from the underside of a lorry at Dover you are immediately classified as British? Thought not."
[quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: Funny how the most abusive posts on here always come from people who start off by saying "you can't even say xxxxxx nowadays without the lefty/green/PC brigade coming down on you". Little bit of contradiction there.[/p][/quote]No. Usually it goes like this. e.g. "I think that we should have a proper debate in this country about immigration". to be replied with "Oh, I see. So you want to round up all foreigners and send them to be gassed in concentration camps? You are a Facist and a Nartsy. Did you know that Britain has had at least 10 million immigrants every year from Jamaica and Lebanon since 237 AD? Did you know that if you can trace your ancestry back hundreds of years in this country, it means that you are German, but if you fall from the underside of a lorry at Dover you are immediately classified as British? Thought not." PorkyChopper
  • Score: 1

4:17pm Fri 30 May 14

Gribbet says...

PorkyChopper wrote:
her professional wrote:
Funny how the most abusive posts on here always come from people who start off by saying "you can't even say xxxxxx nowadays without the lefty/green/PC brigade coming down on you". Little bit of contradiction there.
No. Usually it goes like this. e.g. "I think that we should have a proper debate in this country about immigration". to be replied with "Oh, I see. So you want to round up all foreigners and send them to be gassed in concentration camps? You are a Facist and a Nartsy. Did you know that Britain has had at least 10 million immigrants every year from Jamaica and Lebanon since 237 AD? Did you know that if you can trace your ancestry back hundreds of years in this country, it means that you are German, but if you fall from the underside of a lorry at Dover you are immediately classified as British? Thought not."
And peppered with sentences starting like this: "I'm not racist or xenophobic, but..."
[quote][p][bold]PorkyChopper[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: Funny how the most abusive posts on here always come from people who start off by saying "you can't even say xxxxxx nowadays without the lefty/green/PC brigade coming down on you". Little bit of contradiction there.[/p][/quote]No. Usually it goes like this. e.g. "I think that we should have a proper debate in this country about immigration". to be replied with "Oh, I see. So you want to round up all foreigners and send them to be gassed in concentration camps? You are a Facist and a Nartsy. Did you know that Britain has had at least 10 million immigrants every year from Jamaica and Lebanon since 237 AD? Did you know that if you can trace your ancestry back hundreds of years in this country, it means that you are German, but if you fall from the underside of a lorry at Dover you are immediately classified as British? Thought not."[/p][/quote]And peppered with sentences starting like this: "I'm not racist or xenophobic, but..." Gribbet
  • Score: 1

5:56pm Fri 30 May 14

her professional says...

PorkyChopper wrote:
her professional wrote:
Funny how the most abusive posts on here always come from people who start off by saying "you can't even say xxxxxx nowadays without the lefty/green/PC brigade coming down on you". Little bit of contradiction there.
No. Usually it goes like this. e.g. "I think that we should have a proper debate in this country about immigration". to be replied with "Oh, I see. So you want to round up all foreigners and send them to be gassed in concentration camps? You are a Facist and a Nartsy. Did you know that Britain has had at least 10 million immigrants every year from Jamaica and Lebanon since 237 AD? Did you know that if you can trace your ancestry back hundreds of years in this country, it means that you are German, but if you fall from the underside of a lorry at Dover you are immediately classified as British? Thought not."
Thanks for proving my point
[quote][p][bold]PorkyChopper[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: Funny how the most abusive posts on here always come from people who start off by saying "you can't even say xxxxxx nowadays without the lefty/green/PC brigade coming down on you". Little bit of contradiction there.[/p][/quote]No. Usually it goes like this. e.g. "I think that we should have a proper debate in this country about immigration". to be replied with "Oh, I see. So you want to round up all foreigners and send them to be gassed in concentration camps? You are a Facist and a Nartsy. Did you know that Britain has had at least 10 million immigrants every year from Jamaica and Lebanon since 237 AD? Did you know that if you can trace your ancestry back hundreds of years in this country, it means that you are German, but if you fall from the underside of a lorry at Dover you are immediately classified as British? Thought not."[/p][/quote]Thanks for proving my point her professional
  • Score: 0

7:39pm Fri 30 May 14

PorkyChopper says...

her professional wrote:
PorkyChopper wrote:
her professional wrote:
Funny how the most abusive posts on here always come from people who start off by saying "you can't even say xxxxxx nowadays without the lefty/green/PC brigade coming down on you". Little bit of contradiction there.
No. Usually it goes like this. e.g. "I think that we should have a proper debate in this country about immigration". to be replied with "Oh, I see. So you want to round up all foreigners and send them to be gassed in concentration camps? You are a Facist and a Nartsy. Did you know that Britain has had at least 10 million immigrants every year from Jamaica and Lebanon since 237 AD? Did you know that if you can trace your ancestry back hundreds of years in this country, it means that you are German, but if you fall from the underside of a lorry at Dover you are immediately classified as British? Thought not."
Thanks for proving my point
It's rude to point.
[quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]PorkyChopper[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: Funny how the most abusive posts on here always come from people who start off by saying "you can't even say xxxxxx nowadays without the lefty/green/PC brigade coming down on you". Little bit of contradiction there.[/p][/quote]No. Usually it goes like this. e.g. "I think that we should have a proper debate in this country about immigration". to be replied with "Oh, I see. So you want to round up all foreigners and send them to be gassed in concentration camps? You are a Facist and a Nartsy. Did you know that Britain has had at least 10 million immigrants every year from Jamaica and Lebanon since 237 AD? Did you know that if you can trace your ancestry back hundreds of years in this country, it means that you are German, but if you fall from the underside of a lorry at Dover you are immediately classified as British? Thought not."[/p][/quote]Thanks for proving my point[/p][/quote]It's rude to point. PorkyChopper
  • Score: 1

7:47pm Fri 30 May 14

PorkyChopper says...

I think the point that's been proved is that it is futile "debating" in the comments section of a local paper.
I think the point that's been proved is that it is futile "debating" in the comments section of a local paper. PorkyChopper
  • Score: 4

7:55pm Fri 30 May 14

PorkyChopper says...

Gribbet wrote:
FC wrote:
I wonder if you could chart this rise in hate crime with the rise in "support" for UKIP...?
Yeah, definitely a correlation there.

The two trends couldn't possibly be related though because UKIP and their voters keep shouting about how un-racist they are all the time. They're totally not racist in fact, they just don't want either foreigners or Lenny Henry living next door to them.
Anyone who voted Labour or Tory in the last 10 years has no right to claim the moral high ground over someone who voted UKIP. UKIP haven't been responsible for murdering hundreds of thousands of people in the Middle East, invading sovereign nations based on a pack of lies, or harbouring paedophiles in their ranks and going to great lengths to cover it up. Well done, you gave your vote to a bunch of child molesting war criminals Hang your heads in shame. You should be disgusted with yourselves.
[quote][p][bold]Gribbet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]FC[/bold] wrote: I wonder if you could chart this rise in hate crime with the rise in "support" for UKIP...?[/p][/quote]Yeah, definitely a correlation there. The two trends couldn't possibly be related though because UKIP and their voters keep shouting about how un-racist they are all the time. They're totally not racist in fact, they just don't want either foreigners or Lenny Henry living next door to them.[/p][/quote]Anyone who voted Labour or Tory in the last 10 years has no right to claim the moral high ground over someone who voted UKIP. UKIP haven't been responsible for murdering hundreds of thousands of people in the Middle East, invading sovereign nations based on a pack of lies, or harbouring paedophiles in their ranks and going to great lengths to cover it up. Well done, you gave your vote to a bunch of child molesting war criminals Hang your heads in shame. You should be disgusted with yourselves. PorkyChopper
  • Score: 0

10:45pm Fri 30 May 14

hubby says...

divers69 wrote:
her professional wrote:
hubby wrote:
I wouldn't want Lenny Henry living next door to me,but that is because he is an unfunny,pompous pr1ck.Nothing to do with the colour of his skin.
And two pompous pr@cks living next door to each other would be just too much.
love it !
I'm more of a pompous knut!
[quote][p][bold]divers69[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hubby[/bold] wrote: I wouldn't want Lenny Henry living next door to me,but that is because he is an unfunny,pompous pr1ck.Nothing to do with the colour of his skin.[/p][/quote]And two pompous pr@cks living next door to each other would be just too much.[/p][/quote]love it ![/p][/quote]I'm more of a pompous knut! hubby
  • Score: 0

2:49am Sat 31 May 14

Gribbet says...

PorkyChopper wrote:
I think the point that's been proved is that it is futile "debating" in the comments section of a local paper.
I think everyone already knows this, but it's nice that you finally twigged.
[quote][p][bold]PorkyChopper[/bold] wrote: I think the point that's been proved is that it is futile "debating" in the comments section of a local paper.[/p][/quote]I think everyone already knows this, but it's nice that you finally twigged. Gribbet
  • Score: 0

2:57am Sat 31 May 14

Gribbet says...

PorkyChopper wrote:
Gribbet wrote:
FC wrote:
I wonder if you could chart this rise in hate crime with the rise in "support" for UKIP...?
Yeah, definitely a correlation there.

The two trends couldn't possibly be related though because UKIP and their voters keep shouting about how un-racist they are all the time. They're totally not racist in fact, they just don't want either foreigners or Lenny Henry living next door to them.
Anyone who voted Labour or Tory in the last 10 years has no right to claim the moral high ground over someone who voted UKIP. UKIP haven't been responsible for murdering hundreds of thousands of people in the Middle East, invading sovereign nations based on a pack of lies, or harbouring paedophiles in their ranks and going to great lengths to cover it up. Well done, you gave your vote to a bunch of child molesting war criminals Hang your heads in shame. You should be disgusted with yourselves.
I agree with you there, but I would go further and say you should also hang your head in shame if you thought that voting UKIP was the cleverest way to protest against these things. Even the guy who founded UKIP hates what they've turned into.
[quote][p][bold]PorkyChopper[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gribbet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]FC[/bold] wrote: I wonder if you could chart this rise in hate crime with the rise in "support" for UKIP...?[/p][/quote]Yeah, definitely a correlation there. The two trends couldn't possibly be related though because UKIP and their voters keep shouting about how un-racist they are all the time. They're totally not racist in fact, they just don't want either foreigners or Lenny Henry living next door to them.[/p][/quote]Anyone who voted Labour or Tory in the last 10 years has no right to claim the moral high ground over someone who voted UKIP. UKIP haven't been responsible for murdering hundreds of thousands of people in the Middle East, invading sovereign nations based on a pack of lies, or harbouring paedophiles in their ranks and going to great lengths to cover it up. Well done, you gave your vote to a bunch of child molesting war criminals Hang your heads in shame. You should be disgusted with yourselves.[/p][/quote]I agree with you there, but I would go further and say you should also hang your head in shame if you thought that voting UKIP was the cleverest way to protest against these things. Even the guy who founded UKIP hates what they've turned into. Gribbet
  • Score: 1

7:39am Sat 31 May 14

hubby says...

UKIP is a cross between the NF and the Monster Raving Loonies.
UKIP is a cross between the NF and the Monster Raving Loonies. hubby
  • Score: 1

8:10pm Sat 31 May 14

Mr chock says...

hubby wrote:
UKIP is a cross between the NF and the Monster Raving Loonies.
no i do not think your right there hubby.. thats not fair to say the Monster Raving loonies have had any impact on Ukip ..
but this article is about the "hate crime " ..
Elsewhere there were 731 hate crimes targeting race, 144 against sexual orientation and 24 against transgender people.

In the previous 12 months there were just 564, 119 and 20 respectively.
its not a massive rise is it so it looks to me like the issues of "ohh you gay " or " ohh you black idiot" or "ohh you funnny dressing man "are being accepted more and more i did not put the quot about HAY you DEAD idiot get out of the road ...". because i did not think it would be heard this artical has been read by only 196 people wow great readership argus
[quote][p][bold]hubby[/bold] wrote: UKIP is a cross between the NF and the Monster Raving Loonies.[/p][/quote]no i do not think your right there hubby.. thats not fair to say the Monster Raving loonies have had any impact on Ukip .. but this article is about the "hate crime " .. Elsewhere there were 731 hate crimes targeting race, 144 against sexual orientation and 24 against transgender people. In the previous 12 months there were just 564, 119 and 20 respectively. its not a massive rise is it so it looks to me like the issues of "ohh you gay " or " ohh you black idiot" or "ohh you funnny dressing man "are being accepted more and more i did not put the quot about HAY you DEAD idiot get out of the road ...". because i did not think it would be heard this artical has been read by only 196 people wow great readership argus Mr chock
  • Score: 0

3:15am Sun 1 Jun 14

ZeeGee, ffs says...

hubby wrote:
I wouldn't want Lenny Henry living next door to me,but that is because he is an unfunny,pompous pr1ck.Nothing to do with the colour of his skin.
He's also a racist pr*ck, but very few people have pointed that out.

He wants white people to be denied jobs in his industry because of their skin colour.

As the guy said, he is free to move to a black country any time he wants.
[quote][p][bold]hubby[/bold] wrote: I wouldn't want Lenny Henry living next door to me,but that is because he is an unfunny,pompous pr1ck.Nothing to do with the colour of his skin.[/p][/quote]He's also a racist pr*ck, but very few people have pointed that out. He wants white people to be denied jobs in his industry because of their skin colour. As the guy said, he is free to move to a black country any time he wants. ZeeGee, ffs
  • Score: -3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree