Firefighters were called to an early morning clean-up after gallons of used cooking oil spilled out on to the road.
Crews arrived at West Street in Brighton at about 3.30am today to find an oil slick several metres wide.
An East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “There were big 25 litre drums that had been stacked up outside a building and at least three had been knocked over accidentally, “There were already people there when we arrived who had started to try to clear it up and stop it spreading.
“We spent about an hour there scrubbing the road and clearing away the mess to make it safe.”
- Killer Michael Lane accused of stalking 13 other women as well as Shana Grice
- Cyclist riding on the pavement who caused accident given a ticking off by police
- Meet the man who went from a couch potato to ripped body builder in six months
- Former US presidential candidate set for talk in Brighton
- Man wanted by police in connection to rape investigation is arrested