Firefighters were called to an early morning clean-up after gallons of used cooking oil spilled out on to the road.
Crews arrived at West Street in Brighton at about 3.30am today to find an oil slick several metres wide.
An East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “There were big 25 litre drums that had been stacked up outside a building and at least three had been knocked over accidentally, “There were already people there when we arrived who had started to try to clear it up and stop it spreading.
“We spent about an hour there scrubbing the road and clearing away the mess to make it safe.”
- Residents angry over late-night violence and drug dealing at popular student night
- Top Tory makes pizza at Hove restaurant chain where apprenticeship pledge is announced
- Woman calls 999 and asks for firefighters after she discovers "large spider" in her house
- Father cheats death as roof caves in around him
- UPDATED: Delays of up to 20 minutes on train services between Brighton and Haywards Heath