Firefighters were called to an early morning clean-up after gallons of used cooking oil spilled out on to the road.
Crews arrived at West Street in Brighton at about 3.30am today to find an oil slick several metres wide.
An East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “There were big 25 litre drums that had been stacked up outside a building and at least three had been knocked over accidentally, “There were already people there when we arrived who had started to try to clear it up and stop it spreading.
“We spent about an hour there scrubbing the road and clearing away the mess to make it safe.”
- Police hunt for shoplifter with handgun after supermarket raid
- Residents plea to tackle high levels of drug dealing on three Brighton streets
- Council to run up £36k legal bill fighting i360 information case
- Danny Mac's shock at staying top of Strictly leaderboard for fourth week as he goes into semi-final
- Crunch month for future of park considered one of Brighton's jewels