Mother's fears over cat poisonings

First published in News

A mother has put out a warning to pet owners after her cat died from eating anti-freeze.

Heather Piantino said her family including her 13-year-old daughter Rosie were devastated to learn that their four-year-old cat Tabby would have to be put down on Thursday after eating anti-freeze.

Mrs Piantino, from Penstone Park in Lancing, said she had heard that up to a dozen more cats and dogs could have been poisoned and said she was concerned that it might be someone deliberately targeting animals.

She said she took the cat first to Northdale Vets in Crabtree Lane and then to the pet hospital in Victoria Road, Worthing, but unfortunately veterinary staff were unable to save the cat.

Mrs Piantino said: “The vets told me cats and dogs absolutely love anti-freeze because it is so sweet.

“I thought at first it might be an accident but maybe somebody is putting out anti-freeze deliberately.

“I am not sure why but there are some sick people out there and I have read about it happening elsewhere in the country.

“I have two other cats I am really worried about because I can’t keep them in the house.”

Comments (3)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:34pm Sat 7 Jun 14

angrymonkey says...

people round that area should try and find this sad sick person and dish out what they should get for putting family pets through pain .
people round that area should try and find this sad sick person and dish out what they should get for putting family pets through pain . angrymonkey
  • Score: 2

11:05am Sun 8 Jun 14

power_ranger says...

Your vet doesn't know what they are talking about. Cat's don't posses taste buds to detect sweet flavours.
Your vet doesn't know what they are talking about. Cat's don't posses taste buds to detect sweet flavours. power_ranger
  • Score: 1

6:57pm Sun 8 Jun 14

Kate234 says...

Cat owners should just keep their cats in their gardens and the same with dog owners. If they don't jump into other peoples gardens then hopefully they should be safe. There are a lot of sickos out there and sadly cats jumping into peoples gardens, leaving faeces, digging up their plants and killing the birds can annoy some people. Most people just put up with it but they only need to come across one sadistic individual to get into trouble.
Cat owners should just keep their cats in their gardens and the same with dog owners. If they don't jump into other peoples gardens then hopefully they should be safe. There are a lot of sickos out there and sadly cats jumping into peoples gardens, leaving faeces, digging up their plants and killing the birds can annoy some people. Most people just put up with it but they only need to come across one sadistic individual to get into trouble. Kate234
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree