The life of a mathematical genius is to be marked in a new musical piece by a celebrated pop duo.
The Pet Shop Boys are to use their new orchestral work about St Leonards-raised computer pioneer Alan Turing to call for “tens of thousands of men” imprisoned or fined for committing homosexual acts to be pardoned according to national newspaper reports.
Turing, who was raised and educated in St Leonards, was prosecuted for gross indecency in 1952 and underwent chemical castration rather than go to prison.
He died two years later from cyanide poisoning but was granted a posthumous pardon by the Queen on Christmas Eve last year.
A Man From The Future will be premiered at the Royal Albert hall during the Proms season on July 23.
- Fresh family appeal to help solve Sussex Police's biggest murder investigation for 15 years
- Investigation launched into historic seafront baths fire
- Firefighters help woman to break into own home to take her medication
- Planes are a no party popper place - Gatwick bosses warn
- Council spent £72k on investigation into their town clerk