A man was taken into police custody after driving onto playing fields close to where teenagers were playing.
The driver managed to snake his car past bollards and onto the playing fields of Manor Road Primary School in Burgess Hill at 6pm last night.
Eye witnesses said the car hit a lamppost before ending up on the grass.
Onlookers also reported that the driver had to be helped from the car by officers before being led away into a police car.
Brandon Hanan writing on Burges Hill Uncovered Facebook page said: “He came down the road really quickly, smashed into the curb, messed his front wheels up, swerved through the bollards but hit the back end and slowly came to a holt, he just sat in the car.
“The police came and they had to pull him from the car because he wouldn't leave .
“Very lucky no one was hurt.”
A Sussex Police spokesman confirmed that a car had come off the road and into the park but that no one had been injured in the incident.
See the latest crime figures in your area with our street-level crime map
- GCSE results coverage across Brighton, Hove and Sussex
- Brighton university student among men killed at Camber Sands
- Police and Crime Commissioner investigated over possible breach of electoral rules
- Former Cricketers pub manager Paul Nash killed in motorbike crash
- UPDATED: Camber Sands deaths - victims named