Brighton and Hove bus travellers are on the up

Bus travellers are on the up

Bus travellers are on the up

First published in News

THE number of passengers catching the bus is on the up in Brighton and Hove.

Passengers made more than 46 million single bus passenger trips in 2013-14 – a rise of 3.6 per cent. The number of bus trips has doubled in 20 years.

Punctuality improved with 89.4 per cent of buses running on time in 2013-14.

Councillor Ian Davey, lead member for transport at Brighton and Hove City Council, said: “We have fantastic bus services and the fact that more people use them shows that it is a reliable way to travel.”

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:22pm Tue 10 Jun 14

her professional says...

46 million trips, making a massive contribution to the economic and social activity of the City, fully justifying bus priority measures. It would also be interesting to add on the journeys around town made on Sussex Bus, Compass, Big Lemon and Stagecoach. And thanks to EU legislation, exhaust emissions are getting cleaner. Whilst anything "diesel" remains of concern, the newer hybrid vehicles are helping. Still lots to do, but better than millions of extra journeys by car.
46 million trips, making a massive contribution to the economic and social activity of the City, fully justifying bus priority measures. It would also be interesting to add on the journeys around town made on Sussex Bus, Compass, Big Lemon and Stagecoach. And thanks to EU legislation, exhaust emissions are getting cleaner. Whilst anything "diesel" remains of concern, the newer hybrid vehicles are helping. Still lots to do, but better than millions of extra journeys by car. her professional
  • Score: -2

4:45pm Tue 10 Jun 14

wexler53 says...

I wonder how much of this is explained by so called free travel for older people?
I wonder how much of this is explained by so called free travel for older people? wexler53
  • Score: 13

4:49pm Tue 10 Jun 14

Man of steel says...

As the population of Brighton and Hove is apparently about 250k then the figues given mean that over half of the travel by bus every day of the year, how can milking the figures justify bus piority measures? As far as I am concerned, they mean that we spend more time in Eastbourne or Worthing.
As the population of Brighton and Hove is apparently about 250k then the figues given mean that over half of the travel by bus every day of the year, how can milking the figures justify bus piority measures? As far as I am concerned, they mean that we spend more time in Eastbourne or Worthing. Man of steel
  • Score: 1

4:50pm Tue 10 Jun 14

her professional says...

wexler53 wrote:
I wonder how much of this is explained by so called free travel for older people?
Some of it without doubt, but older people getting out and about and socialising has it's own positive spin off in that they are healthier mentally and physically and therefore less likely to be calling on the NHS and other related services, so it's still good news.
[quote][p][bold]wexler53[/bold] wrote: I wonder how much of this is explained by so called free travel for older people?[/p][/quote]Some of it without doubt, but older people getting out and about and socialising has it's own positive spin off in that they are healthier mentally and physically and therefore less likely to be calling on the NHS and other related services, so it's still good news. her professional
  • Score: 8

4:53pm Tue 10 Jun 14

Man of steel says...

On a slightly different subject, still motoring though, did anybody know that the Brighton and Hove Council have recently been barred by DVLA from asking for driver details, as they had been misusing the information gained?
On a slightly different subject, still motoring though, did anybody know that the Brighton and Hove Council have recently been barred by DVLA from asking for driver details, as they had been misusing the information gained? Man of steel
  • Score: 9

4:57pm Tue 10 Jun 14

BURIRAM says...

her professional wrote:
wexler53 wrote:
I wonder how much of this is explained by so called free travel for older people?
Some of it without doubt, but older people getting out and about and socialising has it's own positive spin off in that they are healthier mentally and physically and therefore less likely to be calling on the NHS and other related services, so it's still good news.
They are not healthier physically because where they would have walked a couple of stops they are catching the bus
[quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wexler53[/bold] wrote: I wonder how much of this is explained by so called free travel for older people?[/p][/quote]Some of it without doubt, but older people getting out and about and socialising has it's own positive spin off in that they are healthier mentally and physically and therefore less likely to be calling on the NHS and other related services, so it's still good news.[/p][/quote]They are not healthier physically because where they would have walked a couple of stops they are catching the bus BURIRAM
  • Score: 2

5:59pm Tue 10 Jun 14

HJarrs says...

This cannot possibly be true. As we are frequently told by the moanerati, the city is ruined, nobody comes here anymore.

What's more fonts of knowledge like to tell us how astronomically expensive, uncomfortable and inconvenient the buses are.

Seems normal people are just not listening.
This cannot possibly be true. As we are frequently told by the moanerati, the city is ruined, nobody comes here anymore. What's more fonts of knowledge like to tell us how astronomically expensive, uncomfortable and inconvenient the buses are. Seems normal people are just not listening. HJarrs
  • Score: -5

6:59pm Tue 10 Jun 14

Maxwell's Ghost says...

The data has not been presented as a ratio of the population and population increases so therefore as stand alone figures are rather pointless.
The data has not been presented as a ratio of the population and population increases so therefore as stand alone figures are rather pointless. Maxwell's Ghost
  • Score: 4

7:31pm Tue 10 Jun 14

her professional says...

Maxwell's Ghost wrote:
The data has not been presented as a ratio of the population and population increases so therefore as stand alone figures are rather pointless.
Wonder if you'd have said that if passenger numbers were falling.
[quote][p][bold]Maxwell's Ghost[/bold] wrote: The data has not been presented as a ratio of the population and population increases so therefore as stand alone figures are rather pointless.[/p][/quote]Wonder if you'd have said that if passenger numbers were falling. her professional
  • Score: -4

8:27pm Tue 10 Jun 14

pachallis says...

'Councillor Ian Davey, lead member for transport at Brighton and Hove City Council, said: “We have fantastic bus services and the fact that more people use them shows that it is a reliable way to travel.” '

Not necessarily - it might be that the Greens have made congestion so bad with their anti-car policy that people have been forced to use the buses?

I know the Greens spout the claim that 40% of household do not have cars; which equates to 60% do have cars. But I wonder if the Greens would ask the 40% if they ever travel by car or would prefer to have a car if they could?
'Councillor Ian Davey, lead member for transport at Brighton and Hove City Council, said: “We have fantastic bus services and the fact that more people use them shows that it is a reliable way to travel.” ' Not necessarily - it might be that the Greens have made congestion so bad with their anti-car policy that people have been forced to use the buses? I know the Greens spout the claim that 40% of household do not have cars; which equates to 60% do have cars. But I wonder if the Greens would ask the 40% if they ever travel by car or would prefer to have a car if they could? pachallis
  • Score: 3

8:39pm Tue 10 Jun 14

HJarrs says...

her professional wrote:
Maxwell's Ghost wrote:
The data has not been presented as a ratio of the population and population increases so therefore as stand alone figures are rather pointless.
Wonder if you'd have said that if passenger numbers were falling.
You know the answer to that!
[quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Maxwell's Ghost[/bold] wrote: The data has not been presented as a ratio of the population and population increases so therefore as stand alone figures are rather pointless.[/p][/quote]Wonder if you'd have said that if passenger numbers were falling.[/p][/quote]You know the answer to that! HJarrs
  • Score: -6

8:49pm Tue 10 Jun 14

HJarrs says...

pachallis wrote:
'Councillor Ian Davey, lead member for transport at Brighton and Hove City Council, said: “We have fantastic bus services and the fact that more people use them shows that it is a reliable way to travel.” '

Not necessarily - it might be that the Greens have made congestion so bad with their anti-car policy that people have been forced to use the buses?

I know the Greens spout the claim that 40% of household do not have cars; which equates to 60% do have cars. But I wonder if the Greens would ask the 40% if they ever travel by car or would prefer to have a car if they could?
Er...is encouraging yet more people into cars and travelling short distances is some sort of congestion solution now is it?
[quote][p][bold]pachallis[/bold] wrote: 'Councillor Ian Davey, lead member for transport at Brighton and Hove City Council, said: “We have fantastic bus services and the fact that more people use them shows that it is a reliable way to travel.” ' Not necessarily - it might be that the Greens have made congestion so bad with their anti-car policy that people have been forced to use the buses? I know the Greens spout the claim that 40% of household do not have cars; which equates to 60% do have cars. But I wonder if the Greens would ask the 40% if they ever travel by car or would prefer to have a car if they could?[/p][/quote]Er...is encouraging yet more people into cars and travelling short distances is some sort of congestion solution now is it? HJarrs
  • Score: -4

11:24pm Tue 10 Jun 14

ghost bus driver says...

Man of steel wrote:
On a slightly different subject, still motoring though, did anybody know that the Brighton and Hove Council have recently been barred by DVLA from asking for driver details, as they had been misusing the information gained?
Yes I heard that too. Lifetime ban apparently. Serves them right.
[quote][p][bold]Man of steel[/bold] wrote: On a slightly different subject, still motoring though, did anybody know that the Brighton and Hove Council have recently been barred by DVLA from asking for driver details, as they had been misusing the information gained?[/p][/quote]Yes I heard that too. Lifetime ban apparently. Serves them right. ghost bus driver
  • Score: 5

7:04am Wed 11 Jun 14

twosugars says...

ghost bus driver wrote:
Man of steel wrote:
On a slightly different subject, still motoring though, did anybody know that the Brighton and Hove Council have recently been barred by DVLA from asking for driver details, as they had been misusing the information gained?
Yes I heard that too. Lifetime ban apparently. Serves them right.
So how are they going to enforce the new extended 20mph zones? The police have pretty much said it is not a priority, and gatso's are not home office approved for speeds less than 30. If the council cannot get driver details, how do they know where/who to send the fine to? Same with parking tickets.
[quote][p][bold]ghost bus driver[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Man of steel[/bold] wrote: On a slightly different subject, still motoring though, did anybody know that the Brighton and Hove Council have recently been barred by DVLA from asking for driver details, as they had been misusing the information gained?[/p][/quote]Yes I heard that too. Lifetime ban apparently. Serves them right.[/p][/quote]So how are they going to enforce the new extended 20mph zones? The police have pretty much said it is not a priority, and gatso's are not home office approved for speeds less than 30. If the council cannot get driver details, how do they know where/who to send the fine to? Same with parking tickets. twosugars
  • Score: 1

7:05am Wed 11 Jun 14

pachallis says...

HJarrs wrote:
pachallis wrote:
'Councillor Ian Davey, lead member for transport at Brighton and Hove City Council, said: “We have fantastic bus services and the fact that more people use them shows that it is a reliable way to travel.” '

Not necessarily - it might be that the Greens have made congestion so bad with their anti-car policy that people have been forced to use the buses?

I know the Greens spout the claim that 40% of household do not have cars; which equates to 60% do have cars. But I wonder if the Greens would ask the 40% if they ever travel by car or would prefer to have a car if they could?
Er...is encouraging yet more people into cars and travelling short distances is some sort of congestion solution now is it?
Dear official Green party spokesman,

RTFP - Dozey Davey said the increased use was due to the RELIABILITY.

You really are useless - I wonder when will the Greens finally realise you are a net liability and stop funding your services?
[quote][p][bold]HJarrs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pachallis[/bold] wrote: 'Councillor Ian Davey, lead member for transport at Brighton and Hove City Council, said: “We have fantastic bus services and the fact that more people use them shows that it is a reliable way to travel.” ' Not necessarily - it might be that the Greens have made congestion so bad with their anti-car policy that people have been forced to use the buses? I know the Greens spout the claim that 40% of household do not have cars; which equates to 60% do have cars. But I wonder if the Greens would ask the 40% if they ever travel by car or would prefer to have a car if they could?[/p][/quote]Er...is encouraging yet more people into cars and travelling short distances is some sort of congestion solution now is it?[/p][/quote]Dear official Green party spokesman, RTFP - Dozey Davey said the increased use was due to the RELIABILITY. You really are useless - I wonder when will the Greens finally realise you are a net liability and stop funding your services? pachallis
  • Score: 6

7:12am Wed 11 Jun 14

Maxwell's Ghost says...

Even an A level maths student would know that presenting data without full context would be a grade fail.
3.6 per cent of what? 100 passengers a day? In 20 years how has the population of the city grown and what is the trending data for bus use?
There are 30,000 more students in the city in the past ten years so what was the increase in that decade?
Presenting a basic percentage increase without any supporting data is just silly for any story. If we have a 50 per cent increase in population, the trend could be a drop in bus use.
Plain silly and Mr Davey worked in IT so should know better than trying to treat the public like idiots. I bet the bus managers don't present data like that to the board.
Even an A level maths student would know that presenting data without full context would be a grade fail. 3.6 per cent of what? 100 passengers a day? In 20 years how has the population of the city grown and what is the trending data for bus use? There are 30,000 more students in the city in the past ten years so what was the increase in that decade? Presenting a basic percentage increase without any supporting data is just silly for any story. If we have a 50 per cent increase in population, the trend could be a drop in bus use. Plain silly and Mr Davey worked in IT so should know better than trying to treat the public like idiots. I bet the bus managers don't present data like that to the board. Maxwell's Ghost
  • Score: 4

7:42am Wed 11 Jun 14

jimmythe1 says...

all this means is that the bus company is making more money. people often find there is no real altenative to using the bus service in brighton as parking is expensive and congestion is diabolical. personaly I agree that last year we had a good bus service, but a management change and joining b and h buses with metro may soon change that....lets wait and see this years figures.
all this means is that the bus company is making more money. people often find there is no real altenative to using the bus service in brighton as parking is expensive and congestion is diabolical. personaly I agree that last year we had a good bus service, but a management change and joining b and h buses with metro may soon change that....lets wait and see this years figures. jimmythe1
  • Score: 2

8:11am Wed 11 Jun 14

Sussex jim says...

pachallis wrote:
'Councillor Ian Davey, lead member for transport at Brighton and Hove City Council, said: “We have fantastic bus services and the fact that more people use them shows that it is a reliable way to travel.” '

Not necessarily - it might be that the Greens have made congestion so bad with their anti-car policy that people have been forced to use the buses?

I know the Greens spout the claim that 40% of household do not have cars; which equates to 60% do have cars. But I wonder if the Greens would ask the 40% if they ever travel by car or would prefer to have a car if they could?
No normal person is going to choose a bus if they have the use of a car; theirs or a lift with someone else.
[quote][p][bold]pachallis[/bold] wrote: 'Councillor Ian Davey, lead member for transport at Brighton and Hove City Council, said: “We have fantastic bus services and the fact that more people use them shows that it is a reliable way to travel.” ' Not necessarily - it might be that the Greens have made congestion so bad with their anti-car policy that people have been forced to use the buses? I know the Greens spout the claim that 40% of household do not have cars; which equates to 60% do have cars. But I wonder if the Greens would ask the 40% if they ever travel by car or would prefer to have a car if they could?[/p][/quote]No normal person is going to choose a bus if they have the use of a car; theirs or a lift with someone else. Sussex jim
  • Score: 3

8:22am Wed 11 Jun 14

Roger Francais says...

Great news!

But I think Brighton could do with some healthy competition.

Your options are only really Brighton & Hove or "Bungling" Tom Druit and his Big Disapointment (Lemon)

The likes of Stagecoach or Compas Travel offer only straight through or peripheral services that just nibble the fringes.
Great news! But I think Brighton could do with some healthy competition. Your options are only really Brighton & Hove or "Bungling" Tom Druit and his Big Disapointment (Lemon) The likes of Stagecoach or Compas Travel offer only straight through or peripheral services that just nibble the fringes. Roger Francais
  • Score: -1

8:40am Wed 11 Jun 14

pachallis says...

twosugars wrote:
ghost bus driver wrote:
Man of steel wrote:
On a slightly different subject, still motoring though, did anybody know that the Brighton and Hove Council have recently been barred by DVLA from asking for driver details, as they had been misusing the information gained?
Yes I heard that too. Lifetime ban apparently. Serves them right.
So how are they going to enforce the new extended 20mph zones? The police have pretty much said it is not a priority, and gatso's are not home office approved for speeds less than 30. If the council cannot get driver details, how do they know where/who to send the fine to? Same with parking tickets.
@twosugars - the 20mph zones were never designed to be enforced - the council only wanted to get AVERAGE speed limits down to 24mph which confirms that they only wanted to encourage lower speeds and that the 20mph speed limit signs are NOT a limit.

This is a copy of an email I received from the council transport department in 2012 when they first introduced the trial in Portslade:

"Any changes in speed limits require some time to settle in and to take effect, so the situation that you describe is not unexpected so soon after the limit has been changed. You will also be aware that the new limit covers quite an extensive area and this should help with conditioning drivers to the new limit. The speed of vehicles will be checked periodically and the data compared with that obtained prior to the implementation of the new limit so that the effect of changing the limit can be properly evaluated. If it becomes apparent that the limit change has not had the desired effect the Council will consider what other measures might be appropriate to try to address the situation. The police position is that 20mph speed limits should be self-enforcing and they will not routinely undertake directed enforcement activity. The barometer for this is that the average vehicle speed should be below 24mph."

Discuss....
[quote][p][bold]twosugars[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ghost bus driver[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Man of steel[/bold] wrote: On a slightly different subject, still motoring though, did anybody know that the Brighton and Hove Council have recently been barred by DVLA from asking for driver details, as they had been misusing the information gained?[/p][/quote]Yes I heard that too. Lifetime ban apparently. Serves them right.[/p][/quote]So how are they going to enforce the new extended 20mph zones? The police have pretty much said it is not a priority, and gatso's are not home office approved for speeds less than 30. If the council cannot get driver details, how do they know where/who to send the fine to? Same with parking tickets.[/p][/quote]@twosugars - the 20mph zones were never designed to be enforced - the council only wanted to get AVERAGE speed limits down to 24mph which confirms that they only wanted to encourage lower speeds and that the 20mph speed limit signs are NOT a limit. This is a copy of an email I received from the council transport department in 2012 when they first introduced the trial in Portslade: "Any changes in speed limits require some time to settle in and to take effect, so the situation that you describe is not unexpected so soon after the limit has been changed. You will also be aware that the new limit covers quite an extensive area and this should help with conditioning drivers to the new limit. The speed of vehicles will be checked periodically and the data compared with that obtained prior to the implementation of the new limit so that the effect of changing the limit can be properly evaluated. If it becomes apparent that the limit change has not had the desired effect the Council will consider what other measures might be appropriate to try to address the situation. The police position is that 20mph speed limits should be self-enforcing and they will not routinely undertake directed enforcement activity. The barometer for this is that the average vehicle speed should be below 24mph." Discuss.... pachallis
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree