A FAMILY clearing out a dead relative’s garage received a shock when they came across a suspicious looking device.

Sussex Police were called to the property in The Gardens, Southwick, after relatives raised the alarm.

The garage, based at the bottom of the garden, contained a small homemade device made up of two old light bulbs and some wiring.

It also contained some liquid which later turned out to be cooking oil.

The bomb disposal squad was called to the scene and decided that although the device was potentially flammable, it was not explosive.

They dismantled it as a precaution. Sussex Police said there were no evacuations and there had been no danger to people nearby during the incident, which happened at about 12.30pm on Thursday.

A police spokesman said: “It is believed that it might have been made some years ago by the deceased relative for reasons unknown, but there is no evidence of any criminal intent.”