Shocking footage of three men jumping onto railway line just minutes before a train

Shocking footage of three men jumping onto railway line just minutes before a train

Shocking footage of three men jumping onto railway line just minutes before a train

Shocking footage of three men jumping onto railway line just minutes before a train

Shocking footage of three men jumping onto railway line just minutes before a train

Shocking footage of three men jumping onto railway line just minutes before a train

First published in News
Last updated
by

Three men put their lives on the line when they walked on railway tracks just moments before a train arrived.

The three reckless train passengers crossed the tracks at a station and stood just inches away from the live rail and hundreds of potentially life-taking voltage.

Police have called the dangerous actions at Worthing Railway Station inexcusable because the station has a working subway the men could have easily have used.

British Transport Police have now released images of three men they want to speak to today as part of an appeal for help from the public to track down the three trespassers who put their lives at risk on Sunday May 18 at just after 11pm.

PC Peter Cooke, of British Transport Police Brighton, said: “Just after 11pm three men arrived at the main entrance to the station.

“They loitered outside for several minutes, drinking and smoking, before heading onto the platform via the side gate.

“At 11.22pm one of the men climbed down from the platform onto the train tracks, and walked up and down the tracks for several minutes, standing inches from the live rail.

“He was joined by the other two men, who then walked across the tracks, and climbed up onto the opposite platform two just minutes before a Brighton-bound train arrived.”

Officers at Brighton station on the night searched trains arriving from Worthing but were unable to find any trace of the men.

PC Cooke added: “These men put themselves in incredible danger by walking on the tracks.

“Passing trains are not the only hazard they faced, as this route uses electrified rails to power trains, which can kill instantly.

“At Worthing station there is a perfectly usable passenger subway that serves all platforms, so there really is no excuse for this type of behaviour.

“It was late at night and the station would have been fairly quiet, but I believe there may be witnesses who have not yet come forward to police.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact British Transport Police on 0800 40 50 40, or text 61016, quoting reference SSUB/B2 of 12/06/2014.

Information can also be passed anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

 

See the latest crime figures in your area with our street-level crime map

Comments (22)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:00pm Wed 18 Jun 14

Withdean-er says...

That's shocking!
That's shocking! Withdean-er
  • Score: 0

1:03pm Wed 18 Jun 14

FatherTed11 says...

A shame they survived.
A shame they survived. FatherTed11
  • Score: 2

1:10pm Wed 18 Jun 14

ZeeGee..ffs says...

It could have been a lot more shocking.....
It could have been a lot more shocking..... ZeeGee..ffs
  • Score: 3

1:11pm Wed 18 Jun 14

Number Six says...

FatherTed11 wrote:
A shame they survived.
Except for the train driver who has to live with their stupidity
[quote][p][bold]FatherTed11[/bold] wrote: A shame they survived.[/p][/quote]Except for the train driver who has to live with their stupidity Number Six
  • Score: 32

1:16pm Wed 18 Jun 14

ZeeGee..ffs says...

Number Six wrote:
FatherTed11 wrote:
A shame they survived.
Except for the train driver who has to live with their stupidity
A good point, but if they'd hit the 'live' rail, no-one else would have been involved.
[quote][p][bold]Number Six[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]FatherTed11[/bold] wrote: A shame they survived.[/p][/quote]Except for the train driver who has to live with their stupidity[/p][/quote]A good point, but if they'd hit the 'live' rail, no-one else would have been involved. ZeeGee..ffs
  • Score: -6

1:34pm Wed 18 Jun 14

Tedious Pedant says...

ZeeGee..ffs wrote:
Number Six wrote:
FatherTed11 wrote:
A shame they survived.
Except for the train driver who has to live with their stupidity
A good point, but if they'd hit the 'live' rail, no-one else would have been involved.
Apart from the people that would have to clear up the mess and passengers who would be inconvenienced.
[quote][p][bold]ZeeGee..ffs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Number Six[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]FatherTed11[/bold] wrote: A shame they survived.[/p][/quote]Except for the train driver who has to live with their stupidity[/p][/quote]A good point, but if they'd hit the 'live' rail, no-one else would have been involved.[/p][/quote]Apart from the people that would have to clear up the mess and passengers who would be inconvenienced. Tedious Pedant
  • Score: 16

6:00pm Wed 18 Jun 14

Old Ladys Gin says...

One of their Tee-shirts is printed with 'Just do it'....some sort of osmosis must have seeped that in to his brain.
One of their Tee-shirts is printed with 'Just do it'....some sort of osmosis must have seeped that in to his brain. Old Ladys Gin
  • Score: 1

6:26pm Wed 18 Jun 14

binbag says...

Natural selection?
Natural selection? binbag
  • Score: 7

6:31pm Wed 18 Jun 14

NathanAdler says...

I think the biggest crime here is their fashion sense!

By the quality of their clothes, I assume they are refugees or new immigrants.
I think the biggest crime here is their fashion sense! By the quality of their clothes, I assume they are refugees or new immigrants. NathanAdler
  • Score: 5

6:40pm Wed 18 Jun 14

hoveguyactually says...

Old Ladys Gin wrote:
One of their Tee-shirts is printed with 'Just do it'....some sort of osmosis must have seeped that in to his brain.
Brain? What brain? Surely that is the one body part he is totally missing.
[quote][p][bold]Old Ladys Gin[/bold] wrote: One of their Tee-shirts is printed with 'Just do it'....some sort of osmosis must have seeped that in to his brain.[/p][/quote]Brain? What brain? Surely that is the one body part he is totally missing. hoveguyactually
  • Score: 7

7:57pm Wed 18 Jun 14

Hove Actually says...

"Donal Sharkey, 32, a company director, said: “I’d be fine with travellers moving back on to Hangleton Bottom as long as enough bins were put out. They don’t make that much mess anyway"

APART from the fact the argos has chosen to quote an Irishman on a traveler question, He lives NO WHERE near Hangleton Bottom in a street you would find it had to park a car in let alone a caravan.

Do I really need to say that once again Kitpratt has proven he is totally out of touch with Brighton & Hove
"Donal Sharkey, 32, a company director, said: “I’d be fine with travellers moving back on to Hangleton Bottom as long as enough bins were put out. They don’t make that much mess anyway" APART from the fact the argos has chosen to quote an Irishman on a traveler question, He lives NO WHERE near Hangleton Bottom in a street you would find it had to park a car in let alone a caravan. Do I really need to say that once again Kitpratt has proven he is totally out of touch with Brighton & Hove Hove Actually
  • Score: 11

8:12pm Wed 18 Jun 14

Lady Smith says...

Hove Actually wrote:
"Donal Sharkey, 32, a company director, said: “I’d be fine with travellers moving back on to Hangleton Bottom as long as enough bins were put out. They don’t make that much mess anyway"

APART from the fact the argos has chosen to quote an Irishman on a traveler question, He lives NO WHERE near Hangleton Bottom in a street you would find it had to park a car in let alone a caravan.

Do I really need to say that once again Kitpratt has proven he is totally out of touch with Brighton & Hove
Erm...don't look now, but I think you're commenting on the wrong story...
[quote][p][bold]Hove Actually[/bold] wrote: "Donal Sharkey, 32, a company director, said: “I’d be fine with travellers moving back on to Hangleton Bottom as long as enough bins were put out. They don’t make that much mess anyway" APART from the fact the argos has chosen to quote an Irishman on a traveler question, He lives NO WHERE near Hangleton Bottom in a street you would find it had to park a car in let alone a caravan. Do I really need to say that once again Kitpratt has proven he is totally out of touch with Brighton & Hove[/p][/quote]Erm...don't look now, but I think you're commenting on the wrong story... Lady Smith
  • Score: -10

8:13pm Wed 18 Jun 14

Lady Smith says...

Meanwhile, back at the station story...no doubt, if one or more of these morons had been killed on the track, 'tributes' - including floral tributes - would have been paid to their 'high spirits' and 'sense of fun' by their equally moronic friends and relatives.
Meanwhile, back at the station story...no doubt, if one or more of these morons had been killed on the track, 'tributes' - including floral tributes - would have been paid to their 'high spirits' and 'sense of fun' by their equally moronic friends and relatives. Lady Smith
  • Score: -1

8:16pm Wed 18 Jun 14

Sussex jim says...

Hove Actually wrote:
"Donal Sharkey, 32, a company director, said: “I’d be fine with travellers moving back on to Hangleton Bottom as long as enough bins were put out. They don’t make that much mess anyway"

APART from the fact the argos has chosen to quote an Irishman on a traveler question, He lives NO WHERE near Hangleton Bottom in a street you would find it had to park a car in let alone a caravan.

Do I really need to say that once again Kitpratt has proven he is totally out of touch with Brighton & Hove
What's that got to do with men walking on the railway?
[quote][p][bold]Hove Actually[/bold] wrote: "Donal Sharkey, 32, a company director, said: “I’d be fine with travellers moving back on to Hangleton Bottom as long as enough bins were put out. They don’t make that much mess anyway" APART from the fact the argos has chosen to quote an Irishman on a traveler question, He lives NO WHERE near Hangleton Bottom in a street you would find it had to park a car in let alone a caravan. Do I really need to say that once again Kitpratt has proven he is totally out of touch with Brighton & Hove[/p][/quote]What's that got to do with men walking on the railway? Sussex jim
  • Score: -8

11:55pm Wed 18 Jun 14

stevo!! says...

Tedious Pedant wrote:
ZeeGee..ffs wrote:
Number Six wrote:
FatherTed11 wrote:
A shame they survived.
Except for the train driver who has to live with their stupidity
A good point, but if they'd hit the 'live' rail, no-one else would have been involved.
Apart from the people that would have to clear up the mess and passengers who would be inconvenienced.
Yes, but they wouldn't be involved with the actual death, would they?
[quote][p][bold]Tedious Pedant[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ZeeGee..ffs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Number Six[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]FatherTed11[/bold] wrote: A shame they survived.[/p][/quote]Except for the train driver who has to live with their stupidity[/p][/quote]A good point, but if they'd hit the 'live' rail, no-one else would have been involved.[/p][/quote]Apart from the people that would have to clear up the mess and passengers who would be inconvenienced.[/p][/quote]Yes, but they wouldn't be involved with the actual death, would they? stevo!!
  • Score: -5

6:51am Thu 19 Jun 14

Hove Actually says...

Lady Smith wrote:
Hove Actually wrote:
"Donal Sharkey, 32, a company director, said: “I’d be fine with travellers moving back on to Hangleton Bottom as long as enough bins were put out. They don’t make that much mess anyway"

APART from the fact the argos has chosen to quote an Irishman on a traveler question, He lives NO WHERE near Hangleton Bottom in a street you would find it had to park a car in let alone a caravan.

Do I really need to say that once again Kitpratt has proven he is totally out of touch with Brighton & Hove
Erm...don't look now, but I think you're commenting on the wrong story...
Yes I know but as the Argos refuses to allow comments on this type of story, although is is quite happy to quote as fact dubious points, the only recourse is hi-jacking others to enlighten them and balance out the spin
[quote][p][bold]Lady Smith[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hove Actually[/bold] wrote: "Donal Sharkey, 32, a company director, said: “I’d be fine with travellers moving back on to Hangleton Bottom as long as enough bins were put out. They don’t make that much mess anyway" APART from the fact the argos has chosen to quote an Irishman on a traveler question, He lives NO WHERE near Hangleton Bottom in a street you would find it had to park a car in let alone a caravan. Do I really need to say that once again Kitpratt has proven he is totally out of touch with Brighton & Hove[/p][/quote]Erm...don't look now, but I think you're commenting on the wrong story...[/p][/quote]Yes I know but as the Argos refuses to allow comments on this type of story, although is is quite happy to quote as fact dubious points, the only recourse is hi-jacking others to enlighten them and balance out the spin Hove Actually
  • Score: 4

6:58am Thu 19 Jun 14

james4618 says...

Does the "Journalist" who wrote this story actually speak English as their first language, and have they ever heard of proof reading? "stood just inches away from the live rail and hundreds of potentially life-taking voltage" What sort of sentence is that? Terrible writing! “He was joined by the other two men, who then walked across the tracks, and climbed up onto the opposite platform two just minutes before a Brighton-bound train arrived.” Two "Just” minutes? Why? Were the minutes fair minded, impartial and un-biased??? Get a grip Argus and employ someone who can actually write a sentence.
Does the "Journalist" who wrote this story actually speak English as their first language, and have they ever heard of proof reading? "stood just inches away from the live rail and hundreds of potentially life-taking voltage" What sort of sentence is that? Terrible writing! “He was joined by the other two men, who then walked across the tracks, and climbed up onto the opposite platform two just minutes before a Brighton-bound train arrived.” Two "Just” minutes? Why? Were the minutes fair minded, impartial and un-biased??? Get a grip Argus and employ someone who can actually write a sentence. james4618
  • Score: 17

9:41am Thu 19 Jun 14

King Joke says...

The nonsense about voltage just shows the pathetic level of scientific literacy in the general populace.

I think 'platform two' should have been capitalised as 'Platform Two', with which the sentence would have made sense.

To be fair though, this is a local rag. You wouldn't expect anyone with more than two GCSEs to work at the Argus would you?
The nonsense about voltage just shows the pathetic level of scientific literacy in the general populace. I think 'platform two' should have been capitalised as 'Platform Two', with which the sentence would have made sense. To be fair though, this is a local rag. You wouldn't expect anyone with more than two GCSEs to work at the Argus would you? King Joke
  • Score: 3

2:32pm Thu 19 Jun 14

Ohnotagain ! says...

Hove Actually wrote:
Lady Smith wrote:
Hove Actually wrote:
"Donal Sharkey, 32, a company director, said: “I’d be fine with travellers moving back on to Hangleton Bottom as long as enough bins were put out. They don’t make that much mess anyway"

APART from the fact the argos has chosen to quote an Irishman on a traveler question, He lives NO WHERE near Hangleton Bottom in a street you would find it had to park a car in let alone a caravan.

Do I really need to say that once again Kitpratt has proven he is totally out of touch with Brighton & Hove
Erm...don't look now, but I think you're commenting on the wrong story...
Yes I know but as the Argos refuses to allow comments on this type of story, although is is quite happy to quote as fact dubious points, the only recourse is hi-jacking others to enlighten them and balance out the spin
I have been waiting for this

If the Argus continue to print traveller stories without us being able to leave comments then this will happen.

Travellers out

Kitcrap out

THE GREENS OUT

NOW.
[quote][p][bold]Hove Actually[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lady Smith[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hove Actually[/bold] wrote: "Donal Sharkey, 32, a company director, said: “I’d be fine with travellers moving back on to Hangleton Bottom as long as enough bins were put out. They don’t make that much mess anyway" APART from the fact the argos has chosen to quote an Irishman on a traveler question, He lives NO WHERE near Hangleton Bottom in a street you would find it had to park a car in let alone a caravan. Do I really need to say that once again Kitpratt has proven he is totally out of touch with Brighton & Hove[/p][/quote]Erm...don't look now, but I think you're commenting on the wrong story...[/p][/quote]Yes I know but as the Argos refuses to allow comments on this type of story, although is is quite happy to quote as fact dubious points, the only recourse is hi-jacking others to enlighten them and balance out the spin[/p][/quote]I have been waiting for this If the Argus continue to print traveller stories without us being able to leave comments then this will happen. Travellers out Kitcrap out THE GREENS OUT NOW. Ohnotagain !
  • Score: 1

3:09pm Thu 19 Jun 14

King Joke says...

Hove Actually wrote:
"Donal Sharkey, 32, a company director, said: “I’d be fine with travellers moving back on to Hangleton Bottom as long as enough bins were put out. They don’t make that much mess anyway"

APART from the fact the argos has chosen to quote an Irishman on a traveler question, He lives NO WHERE near Hangleton Bottom in a street you would find it had to park a car in let alone a caravan.

Do I really need to say that once again Kitpratt has proven he is totally out of touch with Brighton & Hove
An Irishman? With an opinion? How shocking!
[quote][p][bold]Hove Actually[/bold] wrote: "Donal Sharkey, 32, a company director, said: “I’d be fine with travellers moving back on to Hangleton Bottom as long as enough bins were put out. They don’t make that much mess anyway" APART from the fact the argos has chosen to quote an Irishman on a traveler question, He lives NO WHERE near Hangleton Bottom in a street you would find it had to park a car in let alone a caravan. Do I really need to say that once again Kitpratt has proven he is totally out of touch with Brighton & Hove[/p][/quote]An Irishman? With an opinion? How shocking! King Joke
  • Score: -1

8:28pm Fri 20 Jun 14

hubby says...

Could we not put some travellers onto some railway lines?
Could we not put some travellers onto some railway lines? hubby
  • Score: 1

10:13pm Sat 21 Jun 14

King Joke says...

Ah yes, the selective killing of ethnic minorities. Always the mark of a successful society I find.

Who next after the travellers Hubby? I'm all ears.
Ah yes, the selective killing of ethnic minorities. Always the mark of a successful society I find. Who next after the travellers Hubby? I'm all ears. King Joke
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree