The ArgusMarine Parade partially closed for Brighton Pride Village Party (From The Argus)

Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.

Marine Parade partially closed for Brighton Pride Village Party

The Argus: Marine Parade partially closed for Brighton Pride Village Party Marine Parade partially closed for Brighton Pride Village Party

THE FIRST ticketed Pride street party has been given the go-ahead, with its route confirmed along one of Brighton’s busiest roads.

Brighton Pride organisers will close an area around St James’s Street in the city and charge revellers £5 to enter.

Organisers insist change is due to security concerns rather than a money-making move, as Pride Village Party wristbands go on sale at the start of next month.

Last year more than 30,000 revellers were estimated to have flocked to St James’s Street and fears were raised that an uncontrolled influx of people could lead to a crushing incident.

As well as closing off St James’s Street up to the junction with Upper Rock Gardens, the seafront Marine Parade between the Aquarium roundabout and the New Steine will be closed on the evening of August 2 and for a large part of the next day. The village party will have 29 participating bars and cafes, with entertainment set to run between 8pm and midnight on Saturday.

On Sunday celebrations will kick off from 2pm and will feature various entertainment zones with cabaret and disco performers and DJs until 8pm.

Roads will be closed from 4pm on Saturday to 3am on Sunday and then 2pm to 10pm on Sunday.

No glass will be allowed into the secure site, which will be marshalled by security staff and police officers.

The go-ahead for the changes was given following a public consultation which included a heated debate at Dorset Gardens Methodist Church.

Brighton Pride director Paul Kemp said he was working with the council, police, local businesses and residents to make the Pride Village Party “a safe and sustainable event” with a fundraising purpose.

He said: “We are really excited to have permission to extend the traditional boundaries of the party to Marine Parade, and we hope the city will join with us in making this a successful trial and creating a real community celebration that will be a fitting finale to for Pride weekend.

“It’s important that the support from business towards the fundraising effort should be recognised by the community so will be publishing the fund-raising raised through the ring fenced £1 from Village party wristbands and Pride tickets sold in venues.”

Two-day £5 wristbands will be available online at brighton-pride.org or from local outlets and supporting venues from the beginning of July. Residents and people working within the zone will receive free access wristbands.

More information will be sent to those affected by letter and will be posted on a residents’ information page on the Pride website.

Comments (3)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:24pm Thu 19 Jun 14

Bob_The_Ferret says...

It's controversial enough that the streets will be closed and people charged to use them, but closing the A259 on what is one of the busiest summer weekends of the year is a diabolical liberty. Only the greens could have approved that.

You can guarantee that Edward street will still be in a complete mess then as well, which will only add to the chaos on the roads.
It's controversial enough that the streets will be closed and people charged to use them, but closing the A259 on what is one of the busiest summer weekends of the year is a diabolical liberty. Only the greens could have approved that. You can guarantee that Edward street will still be in a complete mess then as well, which will only add to the chaos on the roads. Bob_The_Ferret
  • Score: 0

8:04am Fri 20 Jun 14

Kate234 says...

This is a disgrace. There is no way a key residential and tourist area should be closed and charged for. These are public streets and not the Theatre Royal or the Dome.
This is a disgrace. There is no way a key residential and tourist area should be closed and charged for. These are public streets and not the Theatre Royal or the Dome. Kate234
  • Score: 0

11:28am Fri 20 Jun 14

Take it Personally says...

£5 !?? -well, that's the end of that then. I will just watch the parade.
Since charging in the park, it's not as fun anymore and the fiasco to just get into the park isn't worth it. I imagine the same will be for the street party.
I'm sure something spontaneous and free will start up in response and will no doubt be more fun.
£5 !?? -well, that's the end of that then. I will just watch the parade. Since charging in the park, it's not as fun anymore and the fiasco to just get into the park isn't worth it. I imagine the same will be for the street party. I'm sure something spontaneous and free will start up in response and will no doubt be more fun. Take it Personally
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree