Cats poisoned by anti-freeze

Cats poisoned by anti-freeze

Cats poisoned by anti-freeze

First published in News by , Reporter

BELOVED family pets have been killed in a spate of anti-freeze poisonings.

Eight cats have been admitted to Fitzalan House Veterinary Surgery in Fitzalan Road, Littlehampton, since December after ingesting the liquid.

The felines have all been from the same part of town, around Talbot Road, Maxwell Road and Eastham Road.

The latest moggie victim was put down on Monday after it was taken to the practice suffering poisoning.

Lisa Daniels, a vet at the practice, said: “We have had eight cases of antifreeze poisonings in the last six months.

“I really hope it is not a malicious thing but some owners have lost a couple of cats. It is such a shame.”

The practice does not know if the poisonings were deliberate.

A statement on the practice’s Facebook page said: “We are urging everyone in this area that may have anti-freeze in the garage or shed to make sure that it is not leaking and keep it away from pets.

“Anti-freeze has a sweet smell and taste making it attractive to cats and it causes acute renal failure within a matter of hours.

“Initial signs are depression and lethargy. Your cat may appear groggy or drunk.

“If you buy anti-freeze it is best to buy one that contains propylene glycol rather than ethylene glycol.

“Do not forget cats tend to travel so we urge anyone near to the area to check their garage or shed.”

When a cat ingests anti-freeze they can be saved if they are taken to a vet quickly enough. Vets can administer vodka which destroys the toxins.

If not, the crystals will develop in the cat’s urine. They will then suffer kidney failure, collapse and die.

Poisoning cats can be a criminal offence under the Animal Welfare Act . Maximum penalty is six months in jail and a £20,000 fine.

A Sussex Police spokesman said the force has had no formal reports of poisonings.

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:13pm Fri 27 Jun 14

KarenT says...

How awful. DON'T let your cats roam. There are so many dangers out there.
How awful. DON'T let your cats roam. There are so many dangers out there. KarenT
  • Score: 0

4:41pm Fri 27 Jun 14

Goldenwight says...

"When a cat ingests anti-freeze they can be saved if they are taken to a vet quickly enough. Vets can administer vodka which destroys the toxins."

I haven't got a cat, but could I have some Vodka if I turned up at the vets? (And yes, I know the reason is that it blocks alcohol dehydrogenase so that the ethylene glycol is excreted rather than metabolised- I'm just being silly.)

The fact that this has occurred over a period of months makes me suspect that it is deliberate- probably by someone who hates cats going into their garden. If I ever catch up with them they will be administered 500ml (the LD50 is 250ml) of ethylene glycol and strapped down for 2 days until THEY suffer fatal kidney damage.
"When a cat ingests anti-freeze they can be saved if they are taken to a vet quickly enough. Vets can administer vodka which destroys the toxins." I haven't got a cat, but could I have some Vodka if I turned up at the vets? (And yes, I know the reason is that it blocks alcohol dehydrogenase so that the ethylene glycol is excreted rather than metabolised- I'm just being silly.) The fact that this has occurred over a period of months makes me suspect that it is deliberate- probably by someone who hates cats going into their garden. If I ever catch up with them they will be administered 500ml (the LD50 is 250ml) of ethylene glycol and strapped down for 2 days until THEY suffer fatal kidney damage. Goldenwight
  • Score: 6

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree