The ArgusGreen councillors want 5.9% council tax rise next year (From The Argus)

Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.

Green councillors want 5.9% council tax rise next year

The Argus: Green councillors want 5.9% council tax rise next year Green councillors want 5.9% council tax rise next year

Green councillors say only a 5.9% council tax rise next spring will allow the council to meet a £25 million “funding shortfall” brought about by Government cuts.

In the last hour, the Brighton and Hove City Council Green leaders are proposing that next year’s budget should see a rise of 5.9% in council tax rates.

Such a rise is above the Government’s 1.99% threshold and would have to be agreed by a council referendum.

The Green party proposed a 4.75% for this year’s budget but opposition councillors rejected the proposal and a 1.99% compromise was eventually reached.

Council leader Jason Kitcat said that a 5.9% increase would be the equivalent to £1.48 extra per week for a band D household and that a council tax reduction scheme would remain in place to support the 17,000 households with the lowest incomes.

Coun Kitcat said that combined Government cuts of £18 million and growing pressure on services means the council faces a budget shortfall of up to £25 million in 2015/16 which he said was forcing councils across the country into a situation where essential services can no longer be protected.

He said: “This coming year we face the biggest cuts to the council budget so far in this Government’s relentless austerity programme.

"Council budgets have unfairly borne the brunt of the government’s cuts.

"Still we are committed to delivering essential public services for our citizen. However to do this we do need to raise council tax to ensure those services can keep going as demand continues to grow while budgets shrink.”

For more reaction on this see tomorrow's Argus.

Comments (54)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:48pm Thu 3 Jul 14

cynic_the says...

Well, this one's gonna go off....
Well, this one's gonna go off.... cynic_the
  • Score: 24

2:49pm Thu 3 Jul 14

wexler53 says...

"Still we are committed to delivering essential public services for our citizens...

Which includes a tax payer financed free for all for the caravan visitors and acres of useless road schemes...

My goodness, it really is time these zealots went back to the planet zog or wherever it was they came from...
"Still we are committed to delivering essential public services for our citizens... Which includes a tax payer financed free for all for the caravan visitors and acres of useless road schemes... My goodness, it really is time these zealots went back to the planet zog or wherever it was they came from... wexler53
  • Score: 60

2:55pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Gaz the great says...

Excellent idea Jason, with everybody in Brighton & Hove city being so affluent what's 5.9%-think how many bus & cycle lanes we could build? There was me thinking the Monster raving looney party was defunct, never realised it had just changed name. Goodbye Jason (not soon enough- & take the rest of the Greens with you!
Excellent idea Jason, with everybody in Brighton & Hove city being so affluent what's 5.9%-think how many bus & cycle lanes we could build? There was me thinking the Monster raving looney party was defunct, never realised it had just changed name. Goodbye Jason (not soon enough- & take the rest of the Greens with you! Gaz the great
  • Score: 63

2:59pm Thu 3 Jul 14

NickBrt says...

I suppose I could reduce my servants pay accordingly, then it won't cost me anything.
I suppose I could reduce my servants pay accordingly, then it won't cost me anything. NickBrt
  • Score: 40

3:02pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Warren Morgan says...

Our position will remain the same; we do not believe that the financial impact of millions of pounds in cuts to local services by the Conservative-led government should be passed on to residents by the Green-led council.

We are doing all we can through measures like our Fairness Commission to help residents who are falling increasingly into debt and poverty, we will not let the Greens push them further down that route with massive tax increases.

11,000 residents are now in poverty - even though most are in work. 3,000 are using food banks because they can't afford the weekly shop. And the Greens want to put their taxes up again.
Our position will remain the same; we do not believe that the financial impact of millions of pounds in cuts to local services by the Conservative-led government should be passed on to residents by the Green-led council. We are doing all we can through measures like our Fairness Commission to help residents who are falling increasingly into debt and poverty, we will not let the Greens push them further down that route with massive tax increases. 11,000 residents are now in poverty - even though most are in work. 3,000 are using food banks because they can't afford the weekly shop. And the Greens want to put their taxes up again. Warren Morgan
  • Score: 21

3:02pm Thu 3 Jul 14

rolivan says...

Comment from Warren Morgan would be appropriate.
Comment from Warren Morgan would be appropriate. rolivan
  • Score: -4

3:13pm Thu 3 Jul 14

cynic_the says...

Warren Morgan wrote:
Our position will remain the same; we do not believe that the financial impact of millions of pounds in cuts to local services by the Conservative-led government should be passed on to residents by the Green-led council.

We are doing all we can through measures like our Fairness Commission to help residents who are falling increasingly into debt and poverty, we will not let the Greens push them further down that route with massive tax increases.

11,000 residents are now in poverty - even though most are in work. 3,000 are using food banks because they can't afford the weekly shop. And the Greens want to put their taxes up again.
I agree with everything you've said here Warren, but at the same time the Labour group wants to increase bureaucracy and therefore costs in the private housing rental market...
[quote][p][bold]Warren Morgan[/bold] wrote: Our position will remain the same; we do not believe that the financial impact of millions of pounds in cuts to local services by the Conservative-led government should be passed on to residents by the Green-led council. We are doing all we can through measures like our Fairness Commission to help residents who are falling increasingly into debt and poverty, we will not let the Greens push them further down that route with massive tax increases. 11,000 residents are now in poverty - even though most are in work. 3,000 are using food banks because they can't afford the weekly shop. And the Greens want to put their taxes up again.[/p][/quote]I agree with everything you've said here Warren, but at the same time the Labour group wants to increase bureaucracy and therefore costs in the private housing rental market... cynic_the
  • Score: 22

3:17pm Thu 3 Jul 14

rolivan says...

Thank You Warren we were typing at the same time obviously.
Thank You Warren we were typing at the same time obviously. rolivan
  • Score: 2

3:28pm Thu 3 Jul 14

We love Red Billy says...

More, more, more. The self destruct button has been well and truly pushed. However a word of caution, if the Greens really don't give a flying feck any more, what long lasting damage are they going to do now.? Break out the pitchforks and torches! #politicalchamberpot
s @gzunder
More, more, more. The self destruct button has been well and truly pushed. However a word of caution, if the Greens really don't give a flying feck any more, what long lasting damage are they going to do now.? Break out the pitchforks and torches! #politicalchamberpot s @gzunder We love Red Billy
  • Score: 29

3:48pm Thu 3 Jul 14

s&k says...

This is fine, I want to see front line services protected but only if B&HCC reduce their spend on communications, marketing, translations, equalities training, conferences and catering, expenses, senior managers wages etc.
This is fine, I want to see front line services protected but only if B&HCC reduce their spend on communications, marketing, translations, equalities training, conferences and catering, expenses, senior managers wages etc. s&k
  • Score: 42

3:51pm Thu 3 Jul 14

blacktopsoldier says...

I suppose a 5.9 % pay rise would be out of the question
I suppose a 5.9 % pay rise would be out of the question blacktopsoldier
  • Score: 35

4:07pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Can this be says...

Is Jason Kitcat seriously going to stay as a Councillor and as the Green Leader until the local elections next year? The other parties will welcome it as more nonsense like this comes out, thereby improving their chances of getting even more councillors in for their party, but what about us residents with another 10 months or so of this to suffer? If he were to resign now, could we not put his large pay packet towards the 5.9%? Having one less councillor for the best part of a year would seem to be as good start on the much needed reduction in the number of councillors. Why do we need 54 in this relatively small town?
Is Jason Kitcat seriously going to stay as a Councillor and as the Green Leader until the local elections next year? The other parties will welcome it as more nonsense like this comes out, thereby improving their chances of getting even more councillors in for their party, but what about us residents with another 10 months or so of this to suffer? If he were to resign now, could we not put his large pay packet towards the 5.9%? Having one less councillor for the best part of a year would seem to be as good start on the much needed reduction in the number of councillors. Why do we need 54 in this relatively small town? Can this be
  • Score: 20

4:22pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Plantpot says...

52% of households in the UK make no net contribution to UK finances. Effectively they take from the state (which in reality means taking from taxpayers that do make a net contribution) The burden of any increases inevitably falls on the shoulders of those that do contribute.

There is no more money to put into public services. The fat needs cutting out to leave only truly essential services.
52% of households in the UK make no net contribution to UK finances. Effectively they take from the state (which in reality means taking from taxpayers that do make a net contribution) The burden of any increases inevitably falls on the shoulders of those that do contribute. There is no more money to put into public services. The fat needs cutting out to leave only truly essential services. Plantpot
  • Score: 22

4:23pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Bill in Hanover says...

wexler53 wrote:
"Still we are committed to delivering essential public services for our citizens...

Which includes a tax payer financed free for all for the caravan visitors and acres of useless road schemes...

My goodness, it really is time these zealots went back to the planet zog or wherever it was they came from...
The budget for 'travellers' has already been overspent by £200,000, and they could save some by sacking the 'traveller liaison officer' who should actually be called the traveller SUPPORT officer as she appears to have their interests at heart rather than the residents. Also the 10 man consultative body set up by the Council (called for by the Green party MP) to look into setting up illegal 'shooting galleries' for drug abusers is still active and, presumably, being paid for so why don't the Greens trim down unnecessary spending before raising the tax.
[quote][p][bold]wexler53[/bold] wrote: "Still we are committed to delivering essential public services for our citizens... Which includes a tax payer financed free for all for the caravan visitors and acres of useless road schemes... My goodness, it really is time these zealots went back to the planet zog or wherever it was they came from...[/p][/quote]The budget for 'travellers' has already been overspent by £200,000, and they could save some by sacking the 'traveller liaison officer' who should actually be called the traveller SUPPORT officer as she appears to have their interests at heart rather than the residents. Also the 10 man consultative body set up by the Council (called for by the Green party MP) to look into setting up illegal 'shooting galleries' for drug abusers is still active and, presumably, being paid for so why don't the Greens trim down unnecessary spending before raising the tax. Bill in Hanover
  • Score: 27

4:34pm Thu 3 Jul 14

leftysmellbags says...

Wow the green party really are trying hard not to get re-elected. I suggest just to make them 100% unelectable they should shoot some Wales on the beach and then batter some seals with wooden bats. Oh and then publicaly state that the green party support Crystal Palace.
Wow the green party really are trying hard not to get re-elected. I suggest just to make them 100% unelectable they should shoot some Wales on the beach and then batter some seals with wooden bats. Oh and then publicaly state that the green party support Crystal Palace. leftysmellbags
  • Score: 30

4:34pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Fercri Sakes says...

Well I for one are looking forward to a complete deteriation in council services. We need to keep the tax avoiding multinationals, their shareholders and the bankers happy so we should not ask them to pay their share. Nor should we ask the Tory-led government to stop slashing the amount of money it gives to local councils.

If this keeps up we'll go back to being a Victorian-style society with a few rich aristocrats, a number of upper class gentlemen and the rest of us impoverished souls can live five to a room eating scraps.

Can you imagine the tourist money that would flood in when our rich visitors from overseas come to see the authentic Victorian sights?
Well I for one are looking forward to a complete deteriation in council services. We need to keep the tax avoiding multinationals, their shareholders and the bankers happy so we should not ask them to pay their share. Nor should we ask the Tory-led government to stop slashing the amount of money it gives to local councils. If this keeps up we'll go back to being a Victorian-style society with a few rich aristocrats, a number of upper class gentlemen and the rest of us impoverished souls can live five to a room eating scraps. Can you imagine the tourist money that would flood in when our rich visitors from overseas come to see the authentic Victorian sights? Fercri Sakes
  • Score: 4

4:46pm Thu 3 Jul 14

charlie smirke says...

So the greenery are adding their own nails to the green coffin now. Oh well, so be it, this will just make their demise even more inevitable.
So the greenery are adding their own nails to the green coffin now. Oh well, so be it, this will just make their demise even more inevitable. charlie smirke
  • Score: 14

4:53pm Thu 3 Jul 14

brighton bluenose says...

Warren Morgan wrote:
Our position will remain the same; we do not believe that the financial impact of millions of pounds in cuts to local services by the Conservative-led government should be passed on to residents by the Green-led council.

We are doing all we can through measures like our Fairness Commission to help residents who are falling increasingly into debt and poverty, we will not let the Greens push them further down that route with massive tax increases.

11,000 residents are now in poverty - even though most are in work. 3,000 are using food banks because they can't afford the weekly shop. And the Greens want to put their taxes up again.
Shame on Warren Morgan and the Labour Party - how on earth can the 'financial impact of millions of pounds in cuts to public services' NOT be passed on to residents one way or the other?! That is exactly what will happen whilst Labour stand idly by as the Tories continue their attack on public services and those who work in them!
Of course there are a lot of people struggling in our city but there are a helluva a lot who CAN afford to pay an extra £1.48 a week to assist in alleviating the suffering of the less fortunate!
Labour = Tories in disguise!
[quote][p][bold]Warren Morgan[/bold] wrote: Our position will remain the same; we do not believe that the financial impact of millions of pounds in cuts to local services by the Conservative-led government should be passed on to residents by the Green-led council. We are doing all we can through measures like our Fairness Commission to help residents who are falling increasingly into debt and poverty, we will not let the Greens push them further down that route with massive tax increases. 11,000 residents are now in poverty - even though most are in work. 3,000 are using food banks because they can't afford the weekly shop. And the Greens want to put their taxes up again.[/p][/quote]Shame on Warren Morgan and the Labour Party - how on earth can the 'financial impact of millions of pounds in cuts to public services' NOT be passed on to residents one way or the other?! That is exactly what will happen whilst Labour stand idly by as the Tories continue their attack on public services and those who work in them! Of course there are a lot of people struggling in our city but there are a helluva a lot who CAN afford to pay an extra £1.48 a week to assist in alleviating the suffering of the less fortunate! Labour = Tories in disguise! brighton bluenose
  • Score: -31

5:00pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Goldenwight says...

Why would the Greens be concerned about a budget deficit next year? They aren't going to have any Councillors by then.
Why would the Greens be concerned about a budget deficit next year? They aren't going to have any Councillors by then. Goldenwight
  • Score: 21

5:14pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Uncle Ruckus (No Relation) says...

We love Red Billy wrote:
More, more, more. The self destruct button has been well and truly pushed. However a word of caution, if the Greens really don't give a flying feck any more, what long lasting damage are they going to do now.? Break out the pitchforks and torches! #politicalchamberpot

s @gzunder
The Greens need more of your money to spend on gypsies, politically-correct vanity projects and sending Green Councillor Alex Phillips on yet even more ‘fact-finding’ trips to Palestine.

Meanwhile, 10,000 children in Brighton are officially living in poverty (Campaign To End Child Poverty, 09/01/14), a matter that the Greens have consistently failed to address.

The sooner that this bunch of incompetent, irresponsible, clueless bunch of clowns are removed from power, the better.

- See more at: http://www.brightona
ndhovenews.org/2014/
07/03/greens-propose
-5-9-per-cent-counci
l-tax-for-brighton-a
nd-hove/31362#sthash
.YpR98MHm.dpuf
[quote][p][bold]We love Red Billy[/bold] wrote: More, more, more. The self destruct button has been well and truly pushed. However a word of caution, if the Greens really don't give a flying feck any more, what long lasting damage are they going to do now.? Break out the pitchforks and torches! #politicalchamberpot s @gzunder[/p][/quote]The Greens need more of your money to spend on gypsies, politically-correct vanity projects and sending Green Councillor Alex Phillips on yet even more ‘fact-finding’ trips to Palestine. Meanwhile, 10,000 children in Brighton are officially living in poverty (Campaign To End Child Poverty, 09/01/14), a matter that the Greens have consistently failed to address. The sooner that this bunch of incompetent, irresponsible, clueless bunch of clowns are removed from power, the better. - See more at: http://www.brightona ndhovenews.org/2014/ 07/03/greens-propose -5-9-per-cent-counci l-tax-for-brighton-a nd-hove/31362#sthash .YpR98MHm.dpuf Uncle Ruckus (No Relation)
  • Score: 19

5:28pm Thu 3 Jul 14

roystony says...

He must have a massive slong to have a wife like the one he has got.

Oh yeah, f you kitcat!!
He must have a massive slong to have a wife like the one he has got. Oh yeah, f you kitcat!! roystony
  • Score: 3

5:41pm Thu 3 Jul 14

brighton bluenose says...

Uncle Ruckus (No Relation) wrote:
We love Red Billy wrote:
More, more, more. The self destruct button has been well and truly pushed. However a word of caution, if the Greens really don't give a flying feck any more, what long lasting damage are they going to do now.? Break out the pitchforks and torches! #politicalchamberpot


s @gzunder
The Greens need more of your money to spend on gypsies, politically-correct vanity projects and sending Green Councillor Alex Phillips on yet even more ‘fact-finding’ trips to Palestine.

Meanwhile, 10,000 children in Brighton are officially living in poverty (Campaign To End Child Poverty, 09/01/14), a matter that the Greens have consistently failed to address.

The sooner that this bunch of incompetent, irresponsible, clueless bunch of clowns are removed from power, the better.

- See more at: http://www.brightona

ndhovenews.org/2014/

07/03/greens-propose

-5-9-per-cent-counci

l-tax-for-brighton-a

nd-hove/31362#sthash

.YpR98MHm.dpuf
You couldn't make some of this rubbish up - 10,000 kids in poverty in our city so it MUST be the Greens fault!! We are facing unprecedented cuts in LA funding and you expect the minority administration to 'address' this issue? How precisely - especially when you are amongst the first railing against a proposedcouncil tax rise?!
I look forward to receiving your response!!
Of course it's nothing to do with decades of successive Tory and Labour governments maladaministration screwing up the economy of our country with never-ending boom and bust as the rich get richer and the poor get poorer and idiots like you want more of the same?!! I really do despair!!
[quote][p][bold]Uncle Ruckus (No Relation)[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]We love Red Billy[/bold] wrote: More, more, more. The self destruct button has been well and truly pushed. However a word of caution, if the Greens really don't give a flying feck any more, what long lasting damage are they going to do now.? Break out the pitchforks and torches! #politicalchamberpot s @gzunder[/p][/quote]The Greens need more of your money to spend on gypsies, politically-correct vanity projects and sending Green Councillor Alex Phillips on yet even more ‘fact-finding’ trips to Palestine. Meanwhile, 10,000 children in Brighton are officially living in poverty (Campaign To End Child Poverty, 09/01/14), a matter that the Greens have consistently failed to address. The sooner that this bunch of incompetent, irresponsible, clueless bunch of clowns are removed from power, the better. - See more at: http://www.brightona ndhovenews.org/2014/ 07/03/greens-propose -5-9-per-cent-counci l-tax-for-brighton-a nd-hove/31362#sthash .YpR98MHm.dpuf[/p][/quote]You couldn't make some of this rubbish up - 10,000 kids in poverty in our city so it MUST be the Greens fault!! We are facing unprecedented cuts in LA funding and you expect the minority administration to 'address' this issue? How precisely - especially when you are amongst the first railing against a proposedcouncil tax rise?! I look forward to receiving your response!! Of course it's nothing to do with decades of successive Tory and Labour governments maladaministration screwing up the economy of our country with never-ending boom and bust as the rich get richer and the poor get poorer and idiots like you want more of the same?!! I really do despair!! brighton bluenose
  • Score: -24

5:43pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Plantpot says...

Fercri Sakes wrote:
Well I for one are looking forward to a complete deteriation in council services. We need to keep the tax avoiding multinationals, their shareholders and the bankers happy so we should not ask them to pay their share. Nor should we ask the Tory-led government to stop slashing the amount of money it gives to local councils.

If this keeps up we'll go back to being a Victorian-style society with a few rich aristocrats, a number of upper class gentlemen and the rest of us impoverished souls can live five to a room eating scraps.

Can you imagine the tourist money that would flood in when our rich visitors from overseas come to see the authentic Victorian sights?
You are clearly unaware that tax is a global, not a local issue, and you are clearly unaware that the coalition have achieved record increases in tax recovery from individuals and corporations. But don't let the facts get in the way.

Out of interest, what do you think taxation should be for those that are net financial contributors to society?
[quote][p][bold]Fercri Sakes[/bold] wrote: Well I for one are looking forward to a complete deteriation in council services. We need to keep the tax avoiding multinationals, their shareholders and the bankers happy so we should not ask them to pay their share. Nor should we ask the Tory-led government to stop slashing the amount of money it gives to local councils. If this keeps up we'll go back to being a Victorian-style society with a few rich aristocrats, a number of upper class gentlemen and the rest of us impoverished souls can live five to a room eating scraps. Can you imagine the tourist money that would flood in when our rich visitors from overseas come to see the authentic Victorian sights?[/p][/quote]You are clearly unaware that tax is a global, not a local issue, and you are clearly unaware that the coalition have achieved record increases in tax recovery from individuals and corporations. But don't let the facts get in the way. Out of interest, what do you think taxation should be for those that are net financial contributors to society? Plantpot
  • Score: 8

5:47pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Preyrun says...

Bill in Hanover wrote:
wexler53 wrote:
"Still we are committed to delivering essential public services for our citizens...

Which includes a tax payer financed free for all for the caravan visitors and acres of useless road schemes...

My goodness, it really is time these zealots went back to the planet zog or wherever it was they came from...
The budget for 'travellers' has already been overspent by £200,000, and they could save some by sacking the 'traveller liaison officer' who should actually be called the traveller SUPPORT officer as she appears to have their interests at heart rather than the residents. Also the 10 man consultative body set up by the Council (called for by the Green party MP) to look into setting up illegal 'shooting galleries' for drug abusers is still active and, presumably, being paid for so why don't the Greens trim down unnecessary spending before raising the tax.
Went for a run over Waterhall yesterday and human excrement and toilet paper in the cut through the bushes is everywhere,discustin
g.
[quote][p][bold]Bill in Hanover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wexler53[/bold] wrote: "Still we are committed to delivering essential public services for our citizens... Which includes a tax payer financed free for all for the caravan visitors and acres of useless road schemes... My goodness, it really is time these zealots went back to the planet zog or wherever it was they came from...[/p][/quote]The budget for 'travellers' has already been overspent by £200,000, and they could save some by sacking the 'traveller liaison officer' who should actually be called the traveller SUPPORT officer as she appears to have their interests at heart rather than the residents. Also the 10 man consultative body set up by the Council (called for by the Green party MP) to look into setting up illegal 'shooting galleries' for drug abusers is still active and, presumably, being paid for so why don't the Greens trim down unnecessary spending before raising the tax.[/p][/quote]Went for a run over Waterhall yesterday and human excrement and toilet paper in the cut through the bushes is everywhere,discustin g. Preyrun
  • Score: 16

5:48pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Zeta Function says...

We need a revaluation of council tax bands. Pronto.

What are Labour's plans regarding council tax revaluation?

Property prices increase but council revenue goes down?
We need a revaluation of council tax bands. Pronto. What are Labour's plans regarding council tax revaluation? Property prices increase but council revenue goes down? Zeta Function
  • Score: -10

5:51pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Plantpot says...

Uncle Ruckus (No Relation) wrote:
We love Red Billy wrote:
More, more, more. The self destruct button has been well and truly pushed. However a word of caution, if the Greens really don't give a flying feck any more, what long lasting damage are they going to do now.? Break out the pitchforks and torches! #politicalchamberpot


s @gzunder
The Greens need more of your money to spend on gypsies, politically-correct vanity projects and sending Green Councillor Alex Phillips on yet even more ‘fact-finding’ trips to Palestine.

Meanwhile, 10,000 children in Brighton are officially living in poverty (Campaign To End Child Poverty, 09/01/14), a matter that the Greens have consistently failed to address.

The sooner that this bunch of incompetent, irresponsible, clueless bunch of clowns are removed from power, the better.

- See more at: http://www.brightona

ndhovenews.org/2014/

07/03/greens-propose

-5-9-per-cent-counci

l-tax-for-brighton-a

nd-hove/31362#sthash

.YpR98MHm.dpuf
Of these 10,000 children living in poverty. Is this absolute or relative poverty? Can you also confirm that none of these households smoke, drink, have Sky TV, smartphones, don't dress in designer clothes like Nike etc.?

The reason I ask is that I know what it's like to grow up with nothing at all, including no heating or hot water, a crap diet, walking everywhere except once in a blue moon, hand me down clothes - the full 9 yards. So I'm interested to see how poverty is defined these days.
[quote][p][bold]Uncle Ruckus (No Relation)[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]We love Red Billy[/bold] wrote: More, more, more. The self destruct button has been well and truly pushed. However a word of caution, if the Greens really don't give a flying feck any more, what long lasting damage are they going to do now.? Break out the pitchforks and torches! #politicalchamberpot s @gzunder[/p][/quote]The Greens need more of your money to spend on gypsies, politically-correct vanity projects and sending Green Councillor Alex Phillips on yet even more ‘fact-finding’ trips to Palestine. Meanwhile, 10,000 children in Brighton are officially living in poverty (Campaign To End Child Poverty, 09/01/14), a matter that the Greens have consistently failed to address. The sooner that this bunch of incompetent, irresponsible, clueless bunch of clowns are removed from power, the better. - See more at: http://www.brightona ndhovenews.org/2014/ 07/03/greens-propose -5-9-per-cent-counci l-tax-for-brighton-a nd-hove/31362#sthash .YpR98MHm.dpuf[/p][/quote]Of these 10,000 children living in poverty. Is this absolute or relative poverty? Can you also confirm that none of these households smoke, drink, have Sky TV, smartphones, don't dress in designer clothes like Nike etc.? The reason I ask is that I know what it's like to grow up with nothing at all, including no heating or hot water, a crap diet, walking everywhere except once in a blue moon, hand me down clothes - the full 9 yards. So I'm interested to see how poverty is defined these days. Plantpot
  • Score: 7

5:52pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Plantpot says...

Zeta Function wrote:
We need a revaluation of council tax bands. Pronto.

What are Labour's plans regarding council tax revaluation?

Property prices increase but council revenue goes down?
Just because someone lives in a big house, it doesn't mean they have any cash. In fact many people in houses of any value will be stretched already.
[quote][p][bold]Zeta Function[/bold] wrote: We need a revaluation of council tax bands. Pronto. What are Labour's plans regarding council tax revaluation? Property prices increase but council revenue goes down?[/p][/quote]Just because someone lives in a big house, it doesn't mean they have any cash. In fact many people in houses of any value will be stretched already. Plantpot
  • Score: 15

5:55pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Plantpot says...

brighton bluenose wrote:
Warren Morgan wrote:
Our position will remain the same; we do not believe that the financial impact of millions of pounds in cuts to local services by the Conservative-led government should be passed on to residents by the Green-led council.

We are doing all we can through measures like our Fairness Commission to help residents who are falling increasingly into debt and poverty, we will not let the Greens push them further down that route with massive tax increases.

11,000 residents are now in poverty - even though most are in work. 3,000 are using food banks because they can't afford the weekly shop. And the Greens want to put their taxes up again.
Shame on Warren Morgan and the Labour Party - how on earth can the 'financial impact of millions of pounds in cuts to public services' NOT be passed on to residents one way or the other?! That is exactly what will happen whilst Labour stand idly by as the Tories continue their attack on public services and those who work in them!
Of course there are a lot of people struggling in our city but there are a helluva a lot who CAN afford to pay an extra £1.48 a week to assist in alleviating the suffering of the less fortunate!
Labour = Tories in disguise!
So is your solution to carry on taxing, taxing, taxing? What taxes should people pay in your opinion?
[quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Warren Morgan[/bold] wrote: Our position will remain the same; we do not believe that the financial impact of millions of pounds in cuts to local services by the Conservative-led government should be passed on to residents by the Green-led council. We are doing all we can through measures like our Fairness Commission to help residents who are falling increasingly into debt and poverty, we will not let the Greens push them further down that route with massive tax increases. 11,000 residents are now in poverty - even though most are in work. 3,000 are using food banks because they can't afford the weekly shop. And the Greens want to put their taxes up again.[/p][/quote]Shame on Warren Morgan and the Labour Party - how on earth can the 'financial impact of millions of pounds in cuts to public services' NOT be passed on to residents one way or the other?! That is exactly what will happen whilst Labour stand idly by as the Tories continue their attack on public services and those who work in them! Of course there are a lot of people struggling in our city but there are a helluva a lot who CAN afford to pay an extra £1.48 a week to assist in alleviating the suffering of the less fortunate! Labour = Tories in disguise![/p][/quote]So is your solution to carry on taxing, taxing, taxing? What taxes should people pay in your opinion? Plantpot
  • Score: 15

6:26pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Max Ripple says...

Plantpot wrote:
52% of households in the UK make no net contribution to UK finances. Effectively they take from the state (which in reality means taking from taxpayers that do make a net contribution) The burden of any increases inevitably falls on the shoulders of those that do contribute.

There is no more money to put into public services. The fat needs cutting out to leave only truly essential services.
So, a referendum. Which of course will include students living in the city - none of whom contribute to council tax because THEY DONT HAVE TO PAY IT!!!
They will of course have to register to vote and that is what the Greens want again - more students voting for them as they did last time round and then b***erring off to mummy and daddy's home and leaving us all to pick up the pieces. Thanks again Jason.
[quote][p][bold]Plantpot[/bold] wrote: 52% of households in the UK make no net contribution to UK finances. Effectively they take from the state (which in reality means taking from taxpayers that do make a net contribution) The burden of any increases inevitably falls on the shoulders of those that do contribute. There is no more money to put into public services. The fat needs cutting out to leave only truly essential services.[/p][/quote]So, a referendum. Which of course will include students living in the city - none of whom contribute to council tax because THEY DONT HAVE TO PAY IT!!! They will of course have to register to vote and that is what the Greens want again - more students voting for them as they did last time round and then b***erring off to mummy and daddy's home and leaving us all to pick up the pieces. Thanks again Jason. Max Ripple
  • Score: 15

6:28pm Thu 3 Jul 14

fredflintstone1 says...

brighton bluenose wrote:
Warren Morgan wrote:
Our position will remain the same; we do not believe that the financial impact of millions of pounds in cuts to local services by the Conservative-led government should be passed on to residents by the Green-led council.

We are doing all we can through measures like our Fairness Commission to help residents who are falling increasingly into debt and poverty, we will not let the Greens push them further down that route with massive tax increases.

11,000 residents are now in poverty - even though most are in work. 3,000 are using food banks because they can't afford the weekly shop. And the Greens want to put their taxes up again.
Shame on Warren Morgan and the Labour Party - how on earth can the 'financial impact of millions of pounds in cuts to public services' NOT be passed on to residents one way or the other?! That is exactly what will happen whilst Labour stand idly by as the Tories continue their attack on public services and those who work in them!
Of course there are a lot of people struggling in our city but there are a helluva a lot who CAN afford to pay an extra £1.48 a week to assist in alleviating the suffering of the less fortunate!
Labour = Tories in disguise!
You write as if everything the Greens have done is vital - you might be misguided enough to think that, but seeking funding to let sheep and cattle roam over the Ditchling Road; building a cycle track at £375,000 or more that can't be used by road bikes; wasting some £500,000 on the Food Partnership scheme; massive overspending on the traveller budget and a host of vanity projects etc. do not benefit most people.

Unfortunately, responsible budgeting has never been at the forefront of the Green council's agenda, nor indeed has meeting the needs of the vast majority of its residents.
[quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Warren Morgan[/bold] wrote: Our position will remain the same; we do not believe that the financial impact of millions of pounds in cuts to local services by the Conservative-led government should be passed on to residents by the Green-led council. We are doing all we can through measures like our Fairness Commission to help residents who are falling increasingly into debt and poverty, we will not let the Greens push them further down that route with massive tax increases. 11,000 residents are now in poverty - even though most are in work. 3,000 are using food banks because they can't afford the weekly shop. And the Greens want to put their taxes up again.[/p][/quote]Shame on Warren Morgan and the Labour Party - how on earth can the 'financial impact of millions of pounds in cuts to public services' NOT be passed on to residents one way or the other?! That is exactly what will happen whilst Labour stand idly by as the Tories continue their attack on public services and those who work in them! Of course there are a lot of people struggling in our city but there are a helluva a lot who CAN afford to pay an extra £1.48 a week to assist in alleviating the suffering of the less fortunate! Labour = Tories in disguise![/p][/quote]You write as if everything the Greens have done is vital - you might be misguided enough to think that, but seeking funding to let sheep and cattle roam over the Ditchling Road; building a cycle track at £375,000 or more that can't be used by road bikes; wasting some £500,000 on the Food Partnership scheme; massive overspending on the traveller budget and a host of vanity projects etc. do not benefit most people. Unfortunately, responsible budgeting has never been at the forefront of the Green council's agenda, nor indeed has meeting the needs of the vast majority of its residents. fredflintstone1
  • Score: 15

6:49pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Uncle Ruckus (No Relation) says...

roystony wrote:
He must have a massive slong to have a wife like the one he has got.

Oh yeah, f you kitcat!!
His trust-fund from his millionaire parents probably helps too
[quote][p][bold]roystony[/bold] wrote: He must have a massive slong to have a wife like the one he has got. Oh yeah, f you kitcat!![/p][/quote]His trust-fund from his millionaire parents probably helps too Uncle Ruckus (No Relation)
  • Score: 7

6:57pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Joshiman says...

Will need a few dozen coaches outside Kings House in May for the great Green clearout .Green supporters can follow the coaches in their vans to another city as far away from Brighton as possible.You have made a mockery of us all.What have you done?.It didnt take long .Well goodbye.Dont care if Labour or Tories rule as long as its not the Greens.
Will need a few dozen coaches outside Kings House in May for the great Green clearout .Green supporters can follow the coaches in their vans to another city as far away from Brighton as possible.You have made a mockery of us all.What have you done?.It didnt take long .Well goodbye.Dont care if Labour or Tories rule as long as its not the Greens. Joshiman
  • Score: 9

7:15pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Fercri Sakes says...

Plantpot wrote:
Fercri Sakes wrote:
Well I for one are looking forward to a complete deteriation in council services. We need to keep the tax avoiding multinationals, their shareholders and the bankers happy so we should not ask them to pay their share. Nor should we ask the Tory-led government to stop slashing the amount of money it gives to local councils.

If this keeps up we'll go back to being a Victorian-style society with a few rich aristocrats, a number of upper class gentlemen and the rest of us impoverished souls can live five to a room eating scraps.

Can you imagine the tourist money that would flood in when our rich visitors from overseas come to see the authentic Victorian sights?
You are clearly unaware that tax is a global, not a local issue, and you are clearly unaware that the coalition have achieved record increases in tax recovery from individuals and corporations. But don't let the facts get in the way.

Out of interest, what do you think taxation should be for those that are net financial contributors to society?
Tax does not have to be global. If Amazon or Vodafone tells the tax man they only made £10 here last year we're currently saying that's fine.

The coalition has not achieved record increases in tax recovery. Last month's Private Eye showed how their figures are made up based on 'projected' income and not actual collections. They have been overstating their additonal tax recovery figures by 60%, very misleading.

How can the government collect more tax? Well currently corporation tax only accounts for 8% of the total tax income. It used to be much higher. Companies used to pay 50% tax on their profits in the 60's - that was when we had an economy based on consumer spending, not the current austerity measures.

Also the Housing Benefit bill is really high, and most of this ends up in wealthy property owners pockets. It would save councils a lot of money if they built their own properties but their hands are tied by central government. So we have to keep giving huge amounts to multiple home owners.

And the lowest paid 10% of society pay 43% of their income in tax. The highest paid 10% pay 35% of theirs. Maybe they could pay a bit more?
[quote][p][bold]Plantpot[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fercri Sakes[/bold] wrote: Well I for one are looking forward to a complete deteriation in council services. We need to keep the tax avoiding multinationals, their shareholders and the bankers happy so we should not ask them to pay their share. Nor should we ask the Tory-led government to stop slashing the amount of money it gives to local councils. If this keeps up we'll go back to being a Victorian-style society with a few rich aristocrats, a number of upper class gentlemen and the rest of us impoverished souls can live five to a room eating scraps. Can you imagine the tourist money that would flood in when our rich visitors from overseas come to see the authentic Victorian sights?[/p][/quote]You are clearly unaware that tax is a global, not a local issue, and you are clearly unaware that the coalition have achieved record increases in tax recovery from individuals and corporations. But don't let the facts get in the way. Out of interest, what do you think taxation should be for those that are net financial contributors to society?[/p][/quote]Tax does not have to be global. If Amazon or Vodafone tells the tax man they only made £10 here last year we're currently saying that's fine. The coalition has not achieved record increases in tax recovery. Last month's Private Eye showed how their figures are made up based on 'projected' income and not actual collections. They have been overstating their additonal tax recovery figures by 60%, very misleading. How can the government collect more tax? Well currently corporation tax only accounts for 8% of the total tax income. It used to be much higher. Companies used to pay 50% tax on their profits in the 60's - that was when we had an economy based on consumer spending, not the current austerity measures. Also the Housing Benefit bill is really high, and most of this ends up in wealthy property owners pockets. It would save councils a lot of money if they built their own properties but their hands are tied by central government. So we have to keep giving huge amounts to multiple home owners. And the lowest paid 10% of society pay 43% of their income in tax. The highest paid 10% pay 35% of theirs. Maybe they could pay a bit more? Fercri Sakes
  • Score: 2

7:16pm Thu 3 Jul 14

the red head says...

I smell a rat. Jason kitkat is standing down as leader and announces what is effectively election suicide for his party.

It's the only thing he's ever said that I'm pleased about. Go Jason, bring that sinking ship down as fast as you can, thank you very much!
I smell a rat. Jason kitkat is standing down as leader and announces what is effectively election suicide for his party. It's the only thing he's ever said that I'm pleased about. Go Jason, bring that sinking ship down as fast as you can, thank you very much! the red head
  • Score: 14

7:58pm Thu 3 Jul 14

We love Red Billy says...

The Ben Duncan chamber pot will shortly be available on gzunder.com

#politicalchamberpot
s
The Ben Duncan chamber pot will shortly be available on gzunder.com #politicalchamberpot s We love Red Billy
  • Score: 4

8:24pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Nosfaratu says...

Lets face it, Brighton is just not important enough for the big wigs in London to really care about.
Decades of in-fighting, sleaze and lack of foresight have this 'Town' on its knees, financially, morally and politically.

Brighton has no future unless we get a council that is responsible enough to put the residents first.
Lets face it, Brighton is just not important enough for the big wigs in London to really care about. Decades of in-fighting, sleaze and lack of foresight have this 'Town' on its knees, financially, morally and politically. Brighton has no future unless we get a council that is responsible enough to put the residents first. Nosfaratu
  • Score: 12

8:41pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Plantpot says...

Fercri Sakes wrote:
Plantpot wrote:
Fercri Sakes wrote:
Well I for one are looking forward to a complete deteriation in council services. We need to keep the tax avoiding multinationals, their shareholders and the bankers happy so we should not ask them to pay their share. Nor should we ask the Tory-led government to stop slashing the amount of money it gives to local councils.

If this keeps up we'll go back to being a Victorian-style society with a few rich aristocrats, a number of upper class gentlemen and the rest of us impoverished souls can live five to a room eating scraps.

Can you imagine the tourist money that would flood in when our rich visitors from overseas come to see the authentic Victorian sights?
You are clearly unaware that tax is a global, not a local issue, and you are clearly unaware that the coalition have achieved record increases in tax recovery from individuals and corporations. But don't let the facts get in the way.

Out of interest, what do you think taxation should be for those that are net financial contributors to society?
Tax does not have to be global. If Amazon or Vodafone tells the tax man they only made £10 here last year we're currently saying that's fine.

The coalition has not achieved record increases in tax recovery. Last month's Private Eye showed how their figures are made up based on 'projected' income and not actual collections. They have been overstating their additonal tax recovery figures by 60%, very misleading.

How can the government collect more tax? Well currently corporation tax only accounts for 8% of the total tax income. It used to be much higher. Companies used to pay 50% tax on their profits in the 60's - that was when we had an economy based on consumer spending, not the current austerity measures.

Also the Housing Benefit bill is really high, and most of this ends up in wealthy property owners pockets. It would save councils a lot of money if they built their own properties but their hands are tied by central government. So we have to keep giving huge amounts to multiple home owners.

And the lowest paid 10% of society pay 43% of their income in tax. The highest paid 10% pay 35% of theirs. Maybe they could pay a bit more?
You're quite right, tax doesn't have to be global. What we should do is set up incredibly strict laws so that there's no danger of companies avoiding tax. Of course, all those large employers will move jobs to low cost, low tax zones, but what the heck! Even though service industries make up 60% of the economy we'll have shown them who's boss eh? In turn those jobless employees no longer spend in the economy and rely on the taxpayer for as bail-out.

Who in God's name would set up a business in the UK and pay 50% tax? Those days are long gone like the margins that could support those taxes in an environment only a fraction as competitive as it is now.. Discredited socialist ideas.

Out of interest, given that the lowest 10% no longer pay income tax, presumably their tax contribution consists almost entirely of discretionary spending? And if they are on benefits they are simply recycling money paid in by net tax contributors? Therefore paying no tax on any money they have created for themselves? And would it also be true to say that these are people who are highly likely to make heavy use of services as well, also funded by the taxpayer?
[quote][p][bold]Fercri Sakes[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Plantpot[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fercri Sakes[/bold] wrote: Well I for one are looking forward to a complete deteriation in council services. We need to keep the tax avoiding multinationals, their shareholders and the bankers happy so we should not ask them to pay their share. Nor should we ask the Tory-led government to stop slashing the amount of money it gives to local councils. If this keeps up we'll go back to being a Victorian-style society with a few rich aristocrats, a number of upper class gentlemen and the rest of us impoverished souls can live five to a room eating scraps. Can you imagine the tourist money that would flood in when our rich visitors from overseas come to see the authentic Victorian sights?[/p][/quote]You are clearly unaware that tax is a global, not a local issue, and you are clearly unaware that the coalition have achieved record increases in tax recovery from individuals and corporations. But don't let the facts get in the way. Out of interest, what do you think taxation should be for those that are net financial contributors to society?[/p][/quote]Tax does not have to be global. If Amazon or Vodafone tells the tax man they only made £10 here last year we're currently saying that's fine. The coalition has not achieved record increases in tax recovery. Last month's Private Eye showed how their figures are made up based on 'projected' income and not actual collections. They have been overstating their additonal tax recovery figures by 60%, very misleading. How can the government collect more tax? Well currently corporation tax only accounts for 8% of the total tax income. It used to be much higher. Companies used to pay 50% tax on their profits in the 60's - that was when we had an economy based on consumer spending, not the current austerity measures. Also the Housing Benefit bill is really high, and most of this ends up in wealthy property owners pockets. It would save councils a lot of money if they built their own properties but their hands are tied by central government. So we have to keep giving huge amounts to multiple home owners. And the lowest paid 10% of society pay 43% of their income in tax. The highest paid 10% pay 35% of theirs. Maybe they could pay a bit more?[/p][/quote]You're quite right, tax doesn't have to be global. What we should do is set up incredibly strict laws so that there's no danger of companies avoiding tax. Of course, all those large employers will move jobs to low cost, low tax zones, but what the heck! Even though service industries make up 60% of the economy we'll have shown them who's boss eh? In turn those jobless employees no longer spend in the economy and rely on the taxpayer for as bail-out. Who in God's name would set up a business in the UK and pay 50% tax? Those days are long gone like the margins that could support those taxes in an environment only a fraction as competitive as it is now.. Discredited socialist ideas. Out of interest, given that the lowest 10% no longer pay income tax, presumably their tax contribution consists almost entirely of discretionary spending? And if they are on benefits they are simply recycling money paid in by net tax contributors? Therefore paying no tax on any money they have created for themselves? And would it also be true to say that these are people who are highly likely to make heavy use of services as well, also funded by the taxpayer? Plantpot
  • Score: 1

9:05pm Thu 3 Jul 14

NathanAdler says...

Another hateful idea but the utterly hateful and vile Greens.

It will not be enough for Kitkat's legacy to have already ruined B&H, drained our resources, brought in ridiculous cycle lanes and marxist policies, damaged local businesses beyond repair etc etc etc etc etc now he wants to hit middle Brighton like me.

I can't wait for my extra payments to go towards the criminal travellers or the next fracking protest.

However, I will happily pay for the stench of stale urine to be washed away from Kitkat. Seriously, imagine what his house and family smell like if he, in a public body, smells like a tramp's crotch?

Hideous party and
Another hateful idea but the utterly hateful and vile Greens. It will not be enough for Kitkat's legacy to have already ruined B&H, drained our resources, brought in ridiculous cycle lanes and marxist policies, damaged local businesses beyond repair etc etc etc etc etc now he wants to hit middle Brighton like me. I can't wait for my extra payments to go towards the criminal travellers or the next fracking protest. However, I will happily pay for the stench of stale urine to be washed away from Kitkat. Seriously, imagine what his house and family smell like if he, in a public body, smells like a tramp's crotch? Hideous party and NathanAdler
  • Score: 4

9:08pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Pebbles says...

It is very unfortunate that all the time the city has a transient student population .... who live in houses that where all the residents are students that do not have to pay council tax...the greens (with a lower case 'g') still have a chance to survive next year... :(
It is very unfortunate that all the time the city has a transient student population .... who live in houses that where all the residents are students that do not have to pay council tax...the greens (with a lower case 'g') still have a chance to survive next year... :( Pebbles
  • Score: 0

9:08pm Thu 3 Jul 14

NickBtn says...

The green plan for council tax rises didn't work last year as it was poorly thought through. Luckily they are a minority administration so won't happen again - presuming that the other parties have any electoral sense in an election year!

This is another nail in the green administration's coffin. Their splits, twitter trolling and poor decisions will limit greens elsewhere and is likely to cost Caroline Lucas her seat. Meanwhile Brighton has less recycling and pollution increasing due to congestion caused by road "improvements". A failed green experiment - we will remember come 2015 (and elections from then on.....)
The green plan for council tax rises didn't work last year as it was poorly thought through. Luckily they are a minority administration so won't happen again - presuming that the other parties have any electoral sense in an election year! This is another nail in the green administration's coffin. Their splits, twitter trolling and poor decisions will limit greens elsewhere and is likely to cost Caroline Lucas her seat. Meanwhile Brighton has less recycling and pollution increasing due to congestion caused by road "improvements". A failed green experiment - we will remember come 2015 (and elections from then on.....) NickBtn
  • Score: 3

9:35pm Thu 3 Jul 14

brighton bluenose says...

fredflintstone1 wrote:
brighton bluenose wrote:
Warren Morgan wrote:
Our position will remain the same; we do not believe that the financial impact of millions of pounds in cuts to local services by the Conservative-led government should be passed on to residents by the Green-led council.

We are doing all we can through measures like our Fairness Commission to help residents who are falling increasingly into debt and poverty, we will not let the Greens push them further down that route with massive tax increases.

11,000 residents are now in poverty - even though most are in work. 3,000 are using food banks because they can't afford the weekly shop. And the Greens want to put their taxes up again.
Shame on Warren Morgan and the Labour Party - how on earth can the 'financial impact of millions of pounds in cuts to public services' NOT be passed on to residents one way or the other?! That is exactly what will happen whilst Labour stand idly by as the Tories continue their attack on public services and those who work in them!
Of course there are a lot of people struggling in our city but there are a helluva a lot who CAN afford to pay an extra £1.48 a week to assist in alleviating the suffering of the less fortunate!
Labour = Tories in disguise!
You write as if everything the Greens have done is vital - you might be misguided enough to think that, but seeking funding to let sheep and cattle roam over the Ditchling Road; building a cycle track at £375,000 or more that can't be used by road bikes; wasting some £500,000 on the Food Partnership scheme; massive overspending on the traveller budget and a host of vanity projects etc. do not benefit most people.

Unfortunately, responsible budgeting has never been at the forefront of the Green council's agenda, nor indeed has meeting the needs of the vast majority of its residents.
No I'm sure the Greens aren't perfect - but perhaps we should list the billions and billions of OUR money wasted by Labour and Tories on very large projects and schemes that fail or get abandoned during the procurement stages - telephone and computer systems in the NHS, defence procurement is a prime example of government waste, PFI projects that we are paying hundreds of millions over the odds for - something that Labours own Margaret Hodge recently called a 'scandal'!! The list goes on and on and on - and you want MORE of this scandalous ineptitude??!!!
[quote][p][bold]fredflintstone1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Warren Morgan[/bold] wrote: Our position will remain the same; we do not believe that the financial impact of millions of pounds in cuts to local services by the Conservative-led government should be passed on to residents by the Green-led council. We are doing all we can through measures like our Fairness Commission to help residents who are falling increasingly into debt and poverty, we will not let the Greens push them further down that route with massive tax increases. 11,000 residents are now in poverty - even though most are in work. 3,000 are using food banks because they can't afford the weekly shop. And the Greens want to put their taxes up again.[/p][/quote]Shame on Warren Morgan and the Labour Party - how on earth can the 'financial impact of millions of pounds in cuts to public services' NOT be passed on to residents one way or the other?! That is exactly what will happen whilst Labour stand idly by as the Tories continue their attack on public services and those who work in them! Of course there are a lot of people struggling in our city but there are a helluva a lot who CAN afford to pay an extra £1.48 a week to assist in alleviating the suffering of the less fortunate! Labour = Tories in disguise![/p][/quote]You write as if everything the Greens have done is vital - you might be misguided enough to think that, but seeking funding to let sheep and cattle roam over the Ditchling Road; building a cycle track at £375,000 or more that can't be used by road bikes; wasting some £500,000 on the Food Partnership scheme; massive overspending on the traveller budget and a host of vanity projects etc. do not benefit most people. Unfortunately, responsible budgeting has never been at the forefront of the Green council's agenda, nor indeed has meeting the needs of the vast majority of its residents.[/p][/quote]No I'm sure the Greens aren't perfect - but perhaps we should list the billions and billions of OUR money wasted by Labour and Tories on very large projects and schemes that fail or get abandoned during the procurement stages - telephone and computer systems in the NHS, defence procurement is a prime example of government waste, PFI projects that we are paying hundreds of millions over the odds for - something that Labours own Margaret Hodge recently called a 'scandal'!! The list goes on and on and on - and you want MORE of this scandalous ineptitude??!!! brighton bluenose
  • Score: -16

9:36pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Warren Morgan says...

brighton bluenose wrote:
Warren Morgan wrote:
Our position will remain the same; we do not believe that the financial impact of millions of pounds in cuts to local services by the Conservative-led government should be passed on to residents by the Green-led council.

We are doing all we can through measures like our Fairness Commission to help residents who are falling increasingly into debt and poverty, we will not let the Greens push them further down that route with massive tax increases.

11,000 residents are now in poverty - even though most are in work. 3,000 are using food banks because they can't afford the weekly shop. And the Greens want to put their taxes up again.
Shame on Warren Morgan and the Labour Party - how on earth can the 'financial impact of millions of pounds in cuts to public services' NOT be passed on to residents one way or the other?! That is exactly what will happen whilst Labour stand idly by as the Tories continue their attack on public services and those who work in them!
Of course there are a lot of people struggling in our city but there are a helluva a lot who CAN afford to pay an extra £1.48 a week to assist in alleviating the suffering of the less fortunate!
Labour = Tories in disguise!
Council tax is a regressive tax which disproportionately affects those who can least afford to pay it. Comfortably off Green politicians can sleep easy knowing they have done their bit for public services by putting taxes up by almost £100 a year, when 10,000 people are living in poverty in this city, many of them working two or more jobs to try and make ends meet.

We need to find different ways of delivering services - not privatisation and services on the cheap, but more shared, local and preventative services - to cut costs. A fairer settlement from a Labour Government will help (some Tory councils in leafy shires are still getting increases) but we need to have a thorough review of how we do things.

Putting tax up by six times peoples pay increases is wrong and we won't support it.
[quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Warren Morgan[/bold] wrote: Our position will remain the same; we do not believe that the financial impact of millions of pounds in cuts to local services by the Conservative-led government should be passed on to residents by the Green-led council. We are doing all we can through measures like our Fairness Commission to help residents who are falling increasingly into debt and poverty, we will not let the Greens push them further down that route with massive tax increases. 11,000 residents are now in poverty - even though most are in work. 3,000 are using food banks because they can't afford the weekly shop. And the Greens want to put their taxes up again.[/p][/quote]Shame on Warren Morgan and the Labour Party - how on earth can the 'financial impact of millions of pounds in cuts to public services' NOT be passed on to residents one way or the other?! That is exactly what will happen whilst Labour stand idly by as the Tories continue their attack on public services and those who work in them! Of course there are a lot of people struggling in our city but there are a helluva a lot who CAN afford to pay an extra £1.48 a week to assist in alleviating the suffering of the less fortunate! Labour = Tories in disguise![/p][/quote]Council tax is a regressive tax which disproportionately affects those who can least afford to pay it. Comfortably off Green politicians can sleep easy knowing they have done their bit for public services by putting taxes up by almost £100 a year, when 10,000 people are living in poverty in this city, many of them working two or more jobs to try and make ends meet. We need to find different ways of delivering services - not privatisation and services on the cheap, but more shared, local and preventative services - to cut costs. A fairer settlement from a Labour Government will help (some Tory councils in leafy shires are still getting increases) but we need to have a thorough review of how we do things. Putting tax up by six times peoples pay increases is wrong and we won't support it. Warren Morgan
  • Score: 4

9:44pm Thu 3 Jul 14

notaconspiracy says...

I'll happily pay more to guarantee that the vulnerable folk in society are cared for and their carers (family) have some occasional respite, or for our bins to be emptied and our streets kept clean.

NOT for crackpot 'green' policies, at the expense of all political common sense.

'Green' is an ideal, NOT a political party.
I'll happily pay more to guarantee that the vulnerable folk in society are cared for and their carers (family) have some occasional respite, or for our bins to be emptied and our streets kept clean. NOT for crackpot 'green' policies, at the expense of all political common sense. 'Green' is an ideal, NOT a political party. notaconspiracy
  • Score: 9

10:21pm Thu 3 Jul 14

straightasadye says...

Memory of convenience has Warren Morgan. He would do well to remember council tax multiplied six-fold in the years Labour were at the helm. And although I have no time for the Greens, to their credit there is some evidence of what they have squandered our taxes on, more than can be said for Labour. Our taxes when Labour controlled the purse just vanished into thin air.
Memory of convenience has Warren Morgan. He would do well to remember council tax multiplied six-fold in the years Labour were at the helm. And although I have no time for the Greens, to their credit there is some evidence of what they have squandered our taxes on, more than can be said for Labour. Our taxes when Labour controlled the purse just vanished into thin air. straightasadye
  • Score: 8

10:32pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Bsxking1 says...

Who an earth votes for this party, tree hugging hippys who don't have to worry about paying their taxes get rid of this fairy wonderland party!!
Who an earth votes for this party, tree hugging hippys who don't have to worry about paying their taxes get rid of this fairy wonderland party!! Bsxking1
  • Score: 3

10:41pm Thu 3 Jul 14

ghost bus driver says...

roystony wrote:
He must have a massive slong to have a wife like the one he has got.

Oh yeah, f you kitcat!!
Maybe he told her to Have a Break
[quote][p][bold]roystony[/bold] wrote: He must have a massive slong to have a wife like the one he has got. Oh yeah, f you kitcat!![/p][/quote]Maybe he told her to Have a Break ghost bus driver
  • Score: 0

10:46pm Thu 3 Jul 14

brighton bluenose says...

Plantpot wrote:
Fercri Sakes wrote:
Well I for one are looking forward to a complete deteriation in council services. We need to keep the tax avoiding multinationals, their shareholders and the bankers happy so we should not ask them to pay their share. Nor should we ask the Tory-led government to stop slashing the amount of money it gives to local councils.

If this keeps up we'll go back to being a Victorian-style society with a few rich aristocrats, a number of upper class gentlemen and the rest of us impoverished souls can live five to a room eating scraps.

Can you imagine the tourist money that would flood in when our rich visitors from overseas come to see the authentic Victorian sights?
You are clearly unaware that tax is a global, not a local issue, and you are clearly unaware that the coalition have achieved record increases in tax recovery from individuals and corporations. But don't let the facts get in the way.

Out of interest, what do you think taxation should be for those that are net financial contributors to society?
So the coalition has achieved record increases in tax recovery - it's hardly something too boast about when the previous receipts were so low! And your 'point' still fails to address the FACT that many many companies are still managing to avoid paying tax in the UK but - as you say - don't let the facts get in the way!!
[quote][p][bold]Plantpot[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fercri Sakes[/bold] wrote: Well I for one are looking forward to a complete deteriation in council services. We need to keep the tax avoiding multinationals, their shareholders and the bankers happy so we should not ask them to pay their share. Nor should we ask the Tory-led government to stop slashing the amount of money it gives to local councils. If this keeps up we'll go back to being a Victorian-style society with a few rich aristocrats, a number of upper class gentlemen and the rest of us impoverished souls can live five to a room eating scraps. Can you imagine the tourist money that would flood in when our rich visitors from overseas come to see the authentic Victorian sights?[/p][/quote]You are clearly unaware that tax is a global, not a local issue, and you are clearly unaware that the coalition have achieved record increases in tax recovery from individuals and corporations. But don't let the facts get in the way. Out of interest, what do you think taxation should be for those that are net financial contributors to society?[/p][/quote]So the coalition has achieved record increases in tax recovery - it's hardly something too boast about when the previous receipts were so low! And your 'point' still fails to address the FACT that many many companies are still managing to avoid paying tax in the UK but - as you say - don't let the facts get in the way!! brighton bluenose
  • Score: -1

10:51pm Thu 3 Jul 14

ghost bus driver says...

Joshiman wrote:
Will need a few dozen coaches outside Kings House in May for the great Green clearout .Green supporters can follow the coaches in their vans to another city as far away from Brighton as possible.You have made a mockery of us all.What have you done?.It didnt take long .Well goodbye.Dont care if Labour or Tories rule as long as its not the Greens.
I hear St Kilda is very nice this time of year. Or Afghanistan. No, hang on, I wouldn't inflict Mr. Chocolate bar, or that dreadful Phillips woman on the poor innocent Afghans.
[quote][p][bold]Joshiman[/bold] wrote: Will need a few dozen coaches outside Kings House in May for the great Green clearout .Green supporters can follow the coaches in their vans to another city as far away from Brighton as possible.You have made a mockery of us all.What have you done?.It didnt take long .Well goodbye.Dont care if Labour or Tories rule as long as its not the Greens.[/p][/quote]I hear St Kilda is very nice this time of year. Or Afghanistan. No, hang on, I wouldn't inflict Mr. Chocolate bar, or that dreadful Phillips woman on the poor innocent Afghans. ghost bus driver
  • Score: 3

11:07pm Thu 3 Jul 14

brighton bluenose says...

NathanAdler wrote:
Another hateful idea but the utterly hateful and vile Greens.

It will not be enough for Kitkat's legacy to have already ruined B&H, drained our resources, brought in ridiculous cycle lanes and marxist policies, damaged local businesses beyond repair etc etc etc etc etc now he wants to hit middle Brighton like me.

I can't wait for my extra payments to go towards the criminal travellers or the next fracking protest.

However, I will happily pay for the stench of stale urine to be washed away from Kitkat. Seriously, imagine what his house and family smell like if he, in a public body, smells like a tramp's crotch?

Hideous party and
It's a shame that you don't actually bother to read about whats REALLY going on in our city because it would save us from having to read your drivel! The FACT is that Brighton and Hoves economy is one of a few that is doing well enough to start leading the rest of the country out of the recession - as reported in The Argus...............
..strange that!!
[quote][p][bold]NathanAdler[/bold] wrote: Another hateful idea but the utterly hateful and vile Greens. It will not be enough for Kitkat's legacy to have already ruined B&H, drained our resources, brought in ridiculous cycle lanes and marxist policies, damaged local businesses beyond repair etc etc etc etc etc now he wants to hit middle Brighton like me. I can't wait for my extra payments to go towards the criminal travellers or the next fracking protest. However, I will happily pay for the stench of stale urine to be washed away from Kitkat. Seriously, imagine what his house and family smell like if he, in a public body, smells like a tramp's crotch? Hideous party and[/p][/quote]It's a shame that you don't actually bother to read about whats REALLY going on in our city because it would save us from having to read your drivel! The FACT is that Brighton and Hoves economy is one of a few that is doing well enough to start leading the rest of the country out of the recession - as reported in The Argus............... ..strange that!! brighton bluenose
  • Score: -3

11:49pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Time to move says...

If any good has to come out of this, it is probably that the final nail is in the coffin and Brighton & Hove will never have to endure a Green council again. I imagine some fanatics will vote for them, but we can surely rest assured that there will not be another episode like this from the Green party within my lifetime. I nominate Kitcat for the next Nov 5th Lewes bonfire effigy (I guess he'll melt rather than burn).
If any good has to come out of this, it is probably that the final nail is in the coffin and Brighton & Hove will never have to endure a Green council again. I imagine some fanatics will vote for them, but we can surely rest assured that there will not be another episode like this from the Green party within my lifetime. I nominate Kitcat for the next Nov 5th Lewes bonfire effigy (I guess he'll melt rather than burn). Time to move
  • Score: 2

12:33am Fri 4 Jul 14

Motorcyclist says...

Meanwhile the sheep accept the utility bill increases for the benefit of offshore investors but they don't dare complain.

Government grants to local councils are reduced but we still expect more for less.

Wake up and smell the coffee sheepies.
Meanwhile the sheep accept the utility bill increases for the benefit of offshore investors but they don't dare complain. Government grants to local councils are reduced but we still expect more for less. Wake up and smell the coffee sheepies. Motorcyclist
  • Score: -2

10:14am Fri 4 Jul 14

Plantpot says...

brighton bluenose wrote:
Plantpot wrote:
Fercri Sakes wrote:
Well I for one are looking forward to a complete deteriation in council services. We need to keep the tax avoiding multinationals, their shareholders and the bankers happy so we should not ask them to pay their share. Nor should we ask the Tory-led government to stop slashing the amount of money it gives to local councils.

If this keeps up we'll go back to being a Victorian-style society with a few rich aristocrats, a number of upper class gentlemen and the rest of us impoverished souls can live five to a room eating scraps.

Can you imagine the tourist money that would flood in when our rich visitors from overseas come to see the authentic Victorian sights?
You are clearly unaware that tax is a global, not a local issue, and you are clearly unaware that the coalition have achieved record increases in tax recovery from individuals and corporations. But don't let the facts get in the way.

Out of interest, what do you think taxation should be for those that are net financial contributors to society?
So the coalition has achieved record increases in tax recovery - it's hardly something too boast about when the previous receipts were so low! And your 'point' still fails to address the FACT that many many companies are still managing to avoid paying tax in the UK but - as you say - don't let the facts get in the way!!
It depends on your point of view. If what they are doing is legal, they are not avoiding paying tax. A fact I believe. No-one pays more tax than they have to, companies are obliged by law to maximise their returns to shareholders. In fact 52% of households don't make net financial contributions either, but are no doubt screaming for others to pay their dues.
[quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Plantpot[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fercri Sakes[/bold] wrote: Well I for one are looking forward to a complete deteriation in council services. We need to keep the tax avoiding multinationals, their shareholders and the bankers happy so we should not ask them to pay their share. Nor should we ask the Tory-led government to stop slashing the amount of money it gives to local councils. If this keeps up we'll go back to being a Victorian-style society with a few rich aristocrats, a number of upper class gentlemen and the rest of us impoverished souls can live five to a room eating scraps. Can you imagine the tourist money that would flood in when our rich visitors from overseas come to see the authentic Victorian sights?[/p][/quote]You are clearly unaware that tax is a global, not a local issue, and you are clearly unaware that the coalition have achieved record increases in tax recovery from individuals and corporations. But don't let the facts get in the way. Out of interest, what do you think taxation should be for those that are net financial contributors to society?[/p][/quote]So the coalition has achieved record increases in tax recovery - it's hardly something too boast about when the previous receipts were so low! And your 'point' still fails to address the FACT that many many companies are still managing to avoid paying tax in the UK but - as you say - don't let the facts get in the way!![/p][/quote]It depends on your point of view. If what they are doing is legal, they are not avoiding paying tax. A fact I believe. No-one pays more tax than they have to, companies are obliged by law to maximise their returns to shareholders. In fact 52% of households don't make net financial contributions either, but are no doubt screaming for others to pay their dues. Plantpot
  • Score: 0

10:18am Fri 4 Jul 14

Plantpot says...

Time to move wrote:
If any good has to come out of this, it is probably that the final nail is in the coffin and Brighton & Hove will never have to endure a Green council again. I imagine some fanatics will vote for them, but we can surely rest assured that there will not be another episode like this from the Green party within my lifetime. I nominate Kitcat for the next Nov 5th Lewes bonfire effigy (I guess he'll melt rather than burn).
I wouldn't be so sure about the Green demise. A combination of students (an ever increasing number) and those out of touch with mainstream Britain who seem to be quite prolific here will see to that.
[quote][p][bold]Time to move[/bold] wrote: If any good has to come out of this, it is probably that the final nail is in the coffin and Brighton & Hove will never have to endure a Green council again. I imagine some fanatics will vote for them, but we can surely rest assured that there will not be another episode like this from the Green party within my lifetime. I nominate Kitcat for the next Nov 5th Lewes bonfire effigy (I guess he'll melt rather than burn).[/p][/quote]I wouldn't be so sure about the Green demise. A combination of students (an ever increasing number) and those out of touch with mainstream Britain who seem to be quite prolific here will see to that. Plantpot
  • Score: -1

1:00pm Fri 4 Jul 14

NathanAdler says...

brighton bluenose wrote:
NathanAdler wrote: Another hateful idea but the utterly hateful and vile Greens. It will not be enough for Kitkat's legacy to have already ruined B&H, drained our resources, brought in ridiculous cycle lanes and marxist policies, damaged local businesses beyond repair etc etc etc etc etc now he wants to hit middle Brighton like me. I can't wait for my extra payments to go towards the criminal travellers or the next fracking protest. However, I will happily pay for the stench of stale urine to be washed away from Kitkat. Seriously, imagine what his house and family smell like if he, in a public body, smells like a tramp's crotch? Hideous party and
It's a shame that you don't actually bother to read about whats REALLY going on in our city because it would save us from having to read your drivel! The FACT is that Brighton and Hoves economy is one of a few that is doing well enough to start leading the rest of the country out of the recession - as reported in The Argus............... ..strange that!!
I am afraid you are a deluded fool if you believe that ANYTHING good has come from the Greens.

Go and knit some yoghurt you Marxist buffoon.
[quote][p][bold]brighton bluenose[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]NathanAdler[/bold] wrote: Another hateful idea but the utterly hateful and vile Greens. It will not be enough for Kitkat's legacy to have already ruined B&H, drained our resources, brought in ridiculous cycle lanes and marxist policies, damaged local businesses beyond repair etc etc etc etc etc now he wants to hit middle Brighton like me. I can't wait for my extra payments to go towards the criminal travellers or the next fracking protest. However, I will happily pay for the stench of stale urine to be washed away from Kitkat. Seriously, imagine what his house and family smell like if he, in a public body, smells like a tramp's crotch? Hideous party and[/p][/quote]It's a shame that you don't actually bother to read about whats REALLY going on in our city because it would save us from having to read your drivel! The FACT is that Brighton and Hoves economy is one of a few that is doing well enough to start leading the rest of the country out of the recession - as reported in The Argus............... ..strange that!![/p][/quote]I am afraid you are a deluded fool if you believe that ANYTHING good has come from the Greens. Go and knit some yoghurt you Marxist buffoon. NathanAdler
  • Score: 2
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree