Eastbourne drink-driver claimed he was over the limit because he had drunk three litres of apple juice

Drink-driver claimed he was over the limit because he had drunk three litres of apple juice

Drink-driver claimed he was over the limit because he had drunk three litres of apple juice

First published in News

A convicted drink-driver claimed he was three times over the limit because he had drunk three litres of apple juice.

Mariuszk Kowolik, 40, who was banned from the roads for drink-driving in 2010, was caught drunk at the wheel in Seaside Road, Eastbourne, on June 12 when his Mercedes hit a parked car.

When he was arrested Kowolik, of Maplehurst Road, Eastbourne, denied having been drinking but said that the apple juice must have put him over the limit.
He was charged with drink-driving and released on bail.

He was stopped again on July 1 in Broadwater Way, Eastbourne. This time he was more than four times over the drink-drive limit.

At 11.15pm a member of the public had seen Kowolik in the car park of Sainsbury's in Broadwater Way where he crashed into shopping trolleys, damaging his rear lights, and then drove off into Broadwater Way with smoke pouring from his car because it was being driven at speed in the wrong gear.

Half an hour later police found Kowolik in the driving seat of the Mercedes in Hampden Park Drive. His lights were on and coolant was coming from the radiator where Kowolik had struck the pavement.

When Kowolik was breathalysed he recorded a reading of 154 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath. The legal limit is 35 microgrammes.

When he appeared at court he pleaded guilty to both drink-driving charges and was jailed for six months. He was also banned from the roads for five years.

Superintendent Jane Derrick said: "Kowolik was well over the limit both times when he crashed. Who knows how many other times he had driven while drunk but had got away with it?

"It is only through luck that he has not seriously hurt or even killed someone before he has been jailed. He has repeatedly chosen to get behind the wheel after drinking, so clearly does not think about how his actions could affect other people.

"It would appear that only being in prison will stop Kowolik from putting more people in danger on the roads."

Comments (10)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:54am Tue 8 Jul 14

ghost bus driver says...

The sugars in fruit juice can ferment in your stomach but that only produces a trace amount (Still enough to convict you in places like Poland and Norway) so I think he was telling porkies.
The sugars in fruit juice can ferment in your stomach but that only produces a trace amount (Still enough to convict you in places like Poland and Norway) so I think he was telling porkies. ghost bus driver
  • Score: 5

7:44am Tue 8 Jul 14

LB says...

You just know that once he gets out he'll be back driving a car, drunk.
You just know that once he gets out he'll be back driving a car, drunk. LB
  • Score: 11

8:11am Tue 8 Jul 14

rogerthefish says...

He's got a drinkers face.
He's got a drinkers face. rogerthefish
  • Score: 10

9:04am Tue 8 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

Isn't it sold as 'cider'?
Isn't it sold as 'cider'? stevo!!
  • Score: 2

10:17am Tue 8 Jul 14

qm says...

stevo!! wrote:
Isn't it sold as 'cider'?
You're quite right of course but if you shake the bubbles out doesn't it become apple juice again? Rather like breaking biscuits so the calories can run out which makes them non-fattening ;) No? Oh well I tried :))
[quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: Isn't it sold as 'cider'?[/p][/quote]You're quite right of course but if you shake the bubbles out doesn't it become apple juice again? Rather like breaking biscuits so the calories can run out which makes them non-fattening ;) No? Oh well I tried :)) qm
  • Score: 4

11:01am Tue 8 Jul 14

Andy R says...

Magners Apple Juice......
Magners Apple Juice...... Andy R
  • Score: 3

2:03pm Tue 8 Jul 14

martyt says...

Andy R wrote:
Magners Apple Juice......
its grand stuff over ice
[quote][p][bold]Andy R[/bold] wrote: Magners Apple Juice......[/p][/quote]its grand stuff over ice martyt
  • Score: 1

2:21pm Tue 8 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

qm wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
Isn't it sold as 'cider'?
You're quite right of course but if you shake the bubbles out doesn't it become apple juice again? Rather like breaking biscuits so the calories can run out which makes them non-fattening ;) No? Oh well I tried :))
Made me chuckle...thanks.
[quote][p][bold]qm[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: Isn't it sold as 'cider'?[/p][/quote]You're quite right of course but if you shake the bubbles out doesn't it become apple juice again? Rather like breaking biscuits so the calories can run out which makes them non-fattening ;) No? Oh well I tried :))[/p][/quote]Made me chuckle...thanks. stevo!!
  • Score: 0

2:30pm Tue 8 Jul 14

qm says...

stevo!! wrote:
qm wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
Isn't it sold as 'cider'?
You're quite right of course but if you shake the bubbles out doesn't it become apple juice again? Rather like breaking biscuits so the calories can run out which makes them non-fattening ;) No? Oh well I tried :))
Made me chuckle...thanks.
yw ;)
[quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]qm[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: Isn't it sold as 'cider'?[/p][/quote]You're quite right of course but if you shake the bubbles out doesn't it become apple juice again? Rather like breaking biscuits so the calories can run out which makes them non-fattening ;) No? Oh well I tried :))[/p][/quote]Made me chuckle...thanks.[/p][/quote]yw ;) qm
  • Score: 0

4:59pm Tue 8 Jul 14

Goldenwight says...

I wish I could find apple juice like that...
I wish I could find apple juice like that... Goldenwight
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree