Environmentalists have warned new house-building proposals risk making a “bad position worse”.
Brighton and Hove Friends of the Earth is calling on Brighton and Hove City Council to hold on the consultation on proposed modifications to the City Plan.
The proposals announced last week would see 1,180 homes built in 39 open spaces across the city by 2030.
The environmental group is concerned about the level of public consultation and scrutiny over changes to the City Plan.
Spokesman Chris Todd said the council was between “a rock and a hard place” because of Government changes, but proposed modifications would “make a bad situation worse”.
He said: “These changes will give developers the green light to build on any of the sites listed in the urban fringe report, even if the consultants have got their facts wrong.
“Whilst we are not saying no development anywhere, we have serious concerns about loss of green space, which is in short supply across the city, and the impact on the National Park with some of these proposals.”
Brighton and Hove City Council has been told by an independent inspector to explore further development opportunities within green spaces so the city can accommodate an anticipated demand for housing over the next 16 years.
The amended proposals will be discussed at the policy and resources committee meets at 2pm on Friday.