The ArgusCyclist critically ill following accident (From The Argus)

Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.

Cyclist critically ill following accident

The Argus: Cyclist critically ill following accident Cyclist critically ill following accident

A cyclist is in a critical condition in hospital following an accident yesterday afternoon.

Police are appealing for witnesses to the collision in Nyetimber Lane,  Rose Green, near Bognor.

It happened at about 2.45pm near the road's junction with Nyetimber Close.

A white Fiat Panda car, being driven by an 84-year-old man, was in collision with a black Giant 6000 pedal cycle, being ridden by a 61-year-old woman.

Both people live in the area.

The woman suffered serious head injuries and was flown by air ambulance to Southamton General Hospital.

The car driver was unhurt.

He was arrested on suspicion of failing to stop and causing serious injury by dangerous driving.

He has been baikled until September 1 while enquiries continue.

The road was closed to traffic either side of the scene for two hours while emergency services dealt with the incident.

Sergeant Rob Baldwin, of the West Sussex road policing unit, said: "We are grateful for the patience of motorists whose journeys were affected."

Witnesses are asked to call Sussex Police on 101 or email 101@sussex.pnn.police.uk, quoting Operation Alliance.

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:21am Fri 11 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

An entire road closed off for two hours?

Why??
An entire road closed off for two hours? Why?? stevo!!
  • Score: -30

11:06am Fri 11 Jul 14

redwing says...

stevo!! wrote:
An entire road closed off for two hours?

Why??
Wish you'd take a stroll sometimes.
[quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: An entire road closed off for two hours? Why??[/p][/quote]Wish you'd take a stroll sometimes. redwing
  • Score: 13

11:45am Fri 11 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

redwing wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
An entire road closed off for two hours?

Why??
Wish you'd take a stroll sometimes.
Who makes you read my posts?

Your carer? Your probation officer?
[quote][p][bold]redwing[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: An entire road closed off for two hours? Why??[/p][/quote]Wish you'd take a stroll sometimes.[/p][/quote]Who makes you read my posts? Your carer? Your probation officer? stevo!!
  • Score: -20

1:12pm Fri 11 Jul 14

Number Six says...

"He has been baikled until September 1"

Come on Andrex. Even by your primary school standards of spelling and grammar this is laughable
"He has been baikled until September 1" Come on Andrex. Even by your primary school standards of spelling and grammar this is laughable Number Six
  • Score: 6

2:15pm Fri 11 Jul 14

sunnybrighton says...

I think that so far a point has been missed. The lady is in a critical condition in hospital. I certainly wish her a very speedy recovery.
I think that so far a point has been missed. The lady is in a critical condition in hospital. I certainly wish her a very speedy recovery. sunnybrighton
  • Score: 13

3:50pm Fri 11 Jul 14

Number Six says...

Quite right! I allowed my frustration with poor journalism to obscure the main point. I certainly hope she makes a full recovery
Quite right! I allowed my frustration with poor journalism to obscure the main point. I certainly hope she makes a full recovery Number Six
  • Score: 3

5:24pm Fri 11 Jul 14

gheese77 says...

stevo!! wrote:
An entire road closed off for two hours?

Why??
For the reason the article states - "while emergency services dealt with the incident", try reading more carefully before asking daft questions.
[quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: An entire road closed off for two hours? Why??[/p][/quote]For the reason the article states - "while emergency services dealt with the incident", try reading more carefully before asking daft questions. gheese77
  • Score: 7

6:44pm Fri 11 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

gheese77 wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
An entire road closed off for two hours?

Why??
For the reason the article states - "while emergency services dealt with the incident", try reading more carefully before asking daft questions.
I asked 'why', not 'what caused that delay'


Jeez......
[quote][p][bold]gheese77[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: An entire road closed off for two hours? Why??[/p][/quote]For the reason the article states - "while emergency services dealt with the incident", try reading more carefully before asking daft questions.[/p][/quote]I asked 'why', not 'what caused that delay' Jeez...... stevo!!
  • Score: -9

6:58pm Fri 11 Jul 14

Marko46 says...

stevo!! wrote:
gheese77 wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
An entire road closed off for two hours?

Why??
For the reason the article states - "while emergency services dealt with the incident", try reading more carefully before asking daft questions.
I asked 'why', not 'what caused that delay'


Jeez......
Because the emergency services were dealing with the incident. That is why. You can't just pick up the injured people and place them on the grass verge or pavement and let everything carry on as normal. And you know the cause because you read the story. Anyway, let's hope everyone involved is ok.
[quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gheese77[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: An entire road closed off for two hours? Why??[/p][/quote]For the reason the article states - "while emergency services dealt with the incident", try reading more carefully before asking daft questions.[/p][/quote]I asked 'why', not 'what caused that delay' Jeez......[/p][/quote]Because the emergency services were dealing with the incident. That is why. You can't just pick up the injured people and place them on the grass verge or pavement and let everything carry on as normal. And you know the cause because you read the story. Anyway, let's hope everyone involved is ok. Marko46
  • Score: 6

7:12pm Fri 11 Jul 14

spurious warnings says...

stevo!! wrote:
redwing wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
An entire road closed off for two hours?

Why??
Wish you'd take a stroll sometimes.
Who makes you read my posts?

Your carer? Your probation officer?
As AlanPare brilliantly responded to Stevo!!

Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder

In order for a person to be diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) they must meet five or more of the following symptoms:

•Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

•Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love

•Believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)

•Requires excessive admiration

•Has a very strong sense of entitlement, e.g., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations

•Is exploitative of others, e.g., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends

•Lacks empathy, e.g., is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others

•Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her

•Regularly shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes
[quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]redwing[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: An entire road closed off for two hours? Why??[/p][/quote]Wish you'd take a stroll sometimes.[/p][/quote]Who makes you read my posts? Your carer? Your probation officer?[/p][/quote]As AlanPare brilliantly responded to Stevo!! Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder In order for a person to be diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) they must meet five or more of the following symptoms: •Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements) •Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love •Believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions) •Requires excessive admiration •Has a very strong sense of entitlement, e.g., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations •Is exploitative of others, e.g., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends •Lacks empathy, e.g., is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others •Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her •Regularly shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes spurious warnings
  • Score: 5

8:13pm Fri 11 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

"Because the emergency services were dealing with the incident. That is why. You can't just pick up the injured people and place them on the grass verge or pavement and let everything carry on as normal."

Actually, injured people do get moved prior to being airlifted.

And if it took two hours for that to happen, why wasn't any kind of medic able to get there quicker?

It's yet another case of heavy-handed traffic control which the police do to look as if they are concerned and being professional when the fact is they are doing the exact opposite.
"Because the emergency services were dealing with the incident. That is why. You can't just pick up the injured people and place them on the grass verge or pavement and let everything carry on as normal." Actually, injured people do get moved prior to being airlifted. And if it took two hours for that to happen, why wasn't any kind of medic able to get there quicker? It's yet another case of heavy-handed traffic control which the police do to look as if they are concerned and being professional when the fact is they are doing the exact opposite. stevo!!
  • Score: -6

10:45pm Fri 11 Jul 14

Marko46 says...

stevo!! wrote:
"Because the emergency services were dealing with the incident. That is why. You can't just pick up the injured people and place them on the grass verge or pavement and let everything carry on as normal."

Actually, injured people do get moved prior to being airlifted.

And if it took two hours for that to happen, why wasn't any kind of medic able to get there quicker?

It's yet another case of heavy-handed traffic control which the police do to look as if they are concerned and being professional when the fact is they are doing the exact opposite.
I'm sure they do get moved prior to being airlifted or driven to hospital. But you don't just pick them up and move them and let the traffic carry on as normal. Could be a couple of hours, could be half an hour, could be most if the day, depends on the type if carriageway the incident is on. It can't have taken 2 hours for a medic to get there. It would have been closed for 2 hours from when it happened I expect, to then making the area around being safe to drive. So, no, they aren't doing the exact opposite. They are doing what they are paid to do, and want to do.
[quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: "Because the emergency services were dealing with the incident. That is why. You can't just pick up the injured people and place them on the grass verge or pavement and let everything carry on as normal." Actually, injured people do get moved prior to being airlifted. And if it took two hours for that to happen, why wasn't any kind of medic able to get there quicker? It's yet another case of heavy-handed traffic control which the police do to look as if they are concerned and being professional when the fact is they are doing the exact opposite.[/p][/quote]I'm sure they do get moved prior to being airlifted or driven to hospital. But you don't just pick them up and move them and let the traffic carry on as normal. Could be a couple of hours, could be half an hour, could be most if the day, depends on the type if carriageway the incident is on. It can't have taken 2 hours for a medic to get there. It would have been closed for 2 hours from when it happened I expect, to then making the area around being safe to drive. So, no, they aren't doing the exact opposite. They are doing what they are paid to do, and want to do. Marko46
  • Score: 2

10:57am Sat 12 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

" It would have been closed for 2 hours from when it happened I expect"

That's very unlikely, seeing as the authorities are the ones who close roads.
" It would have been closed for 2 hours from when it happened I expect" That's very unlikely, seeing as the authorities are the ones who close roads. stevo!!
  • Score: -4

12:20am Sun 13 Jul 14

Marko46 says...

*Yawns*. You are boring me now. I just hope those who were injured are ok. Doesn't matter how long the roads were closed, by whom and when they were opened again. You are obviously a very insensitive person who only cares about how long it takes for you to get home
*Yawns*. You are boring me now. I just hope those who were injured are ok. Doesn't matter how long the roads were closed, by whom and when they were opened again. You are obviously a very insensitive person who only cares about how long it takes for you to get home Marko46
  • Score: 1

12:27pm Sun 13 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

Marko46 wrote:
*Yawns*. You are boring me now. I just hope those who were injured are ok. Doesn't matter how long the roads were closed, by whom and when they were opened again. You are obviously a very insensitive person who only cares about how long it takes for you to get home
A blocked road affects many people, including those of the emergencies services.

Imagine an ambulance or fire appliance having to take an unnecessary detour just because those at this scene were taking their time.
[quote][p][bold]Marko46[/bold] wrote: *Yawns*. You are boring me now. I just hope those who were injured are ok. Doesn't matter how long the roads were closed, by whom and when they were opened again. You are obviously a very insensitive person who only cares about how long it takes for you to get home[/p][/quote]A blocked road affects many people, including those of the emergencies services. Imagine an ambulance or fire appliance having to take an unnecessary detour just because those at this scene were taking their time. stevo!!
  • Score: -1

7:09pm Mon 14 Jul 14

Marko46 says...

stevo!! wrote:
Marko46 wrote:
*Yawns*. You are boring me now. I just hope those who were injured are ok. Doesn't matter how long the roads were closed, by whom and when they were opened again. You are obviously a very insensitive person who only cares about how long it takes for you to get home
A blocked road affects many people, including those of the emergencies services.

Imagine an ambulance or fire appliance having to take an unnecessary detour just because those at this scene were taking their time.
Yes of course it affects everybody. And yes, they take their time, yeah. All stand around the patient, like the stereotypical road workers, all discussing the weather, and where to get tea and bacon sandwiches from.
[quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Marko46[/bold] wrote: *Yawns*. You are boring me now. I just hope those who were injured are ok. Doesn't matter how long the roads were closed, by whom and when they were opened again. You are obviously a very insensitive person who only cares about how long it takes for you to get home[/p][/quote]A blocked road affects many people, including those of the emergencies services. Imagine an ambulance or fire appliance having to take an unnecessary detour just because those at this scene were taking their time.[/p][/quote]Yes of course it affects everybody. And yes, they take their time, yeah. All stand around the patient, like the stereotypical road workers, all discussing the weather, and where to get tea and bacon sandwiches from. Marko46
  • Score: 0
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree