Teachers walk out of Hove Park School as pressure builds over academy plans

Teachers walk out as pressure builds over academy plans

Teachers walk out as pressure builds over academy plans

First published in News
Last updated

Teachers have walked out this morning over plans to convert their school into an academy.

Staff, parents and pupils took to the picket lines outside Hove Park School from 7am.

They gathered outside the school’s two sites in Nevill Road and Hangleton Way wearing union high-visibility jackets.

They handed out leaflets and blew whistles as passing motorists, bus drivers and rubbish trucks showed their support by beeping their horns.

The action, organised by the National Union of Teachers (NUT), is in response to the school’s planned academy move.

Liz Ritson, an ICT teacher and the school’s union rep, was one of those on the picket line.

She said: “It is better than Christmas. Gove has gone, the parent ballot has come back at 71% and we have managed to successfully close the school.

“It’s time to put a line under it. What more do they need to realise there is no appetite for academies in Brighton and Hove.

“We were rated good by Ofsted, but we can get outstanding.”

The NUT claim 75% of the teaching staff at the school belong to the union – although the school believes it is nearer 32%.

Of the NUT’s 70 members, 80% backed industrial action.

Yesterday, the result of a council-backed parent poll was revealed with 71% of respondents against the move.

Brighton and Hove City Council revealed 544 took part in the poll.

In a letter to parents, headteacher Derek Trimmer apologised for the closing of the school.

He said: “It is with regret that I have decided to declare that the school will be closed to students. “Please accept my apologies for this unfortunate situation. I understand the inconvenience and difficulty this will cause many of you.”

He said a “minority” of staff had voted to strike but the school would close because of uncertainty around the number of people walking out and the picket line would put non- striking staff in a “difficult personal position”.

Hove Park is one of the most improved schools in the country with the number of children gaining five GCSEs at A* to C up by 25%.

For a full report and reaction see tomorrow’s Argus.

Comments (49)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:05am Wed 16 Jul 14

ThinkBrighton says...

They didn't walk out because they did not walk-in in the first place, at 8.20
this morning there was a crowd of people in hi-vis jackets waiting to intimidate people trying to get into the school, it just goes to show that they have the pupils future at heart
But it is a lovely sunny day and they can sunbathe and think about what harm they are doing to the children of the school, and probably have a little smile.
They didn't walk out because they did not walk-in in the first place, at 8.20 this morning there was a crowd of people in hi-vis jackets waiting to intimidate people trying to get into the school, it just goes to show that they have the pupils future at heart But it is a lovely sunny day and they can sunbathe and think about what harm they are doing to the children of the school, and probably have a little smile. ThinkBrighton
  • Score: -36

9:24am Wed 16 Jul 14

LB says...

If a days closure of the school means Derek Trimmer and the Governors finally listen to the parents and staff then I'm more than grateful to the union members giving up a days pay to achieve it.

My daughter, at Blatch Mill, spent the day at Thorpe Park on Monday. I'm not sure there's a whole lot of educating being done in the last couple of weeks of term in any event, however much they want to fine parents for taking their kids out of school for a holiday.
If a days closure of the school means Derek Trimmer and the Governors finally listen to the parents and staff then I'm more than grateful to the union members giving up a days pay to achieve it. My daughter, at Blatch Mill, spent the day at Thorpe Park on Monday. I'm not sure there's a whole lot of educating being done in the last couple of weeks of term in any event, however much they want to fine parents for taking their kids out of school for a holiday. LB
  • Score: 21

9:48am Wed 16 Jul 14

Fozborn says...

I deliberately abstained from the council organized vote on this issue. I did so for two reasons. Firstly I do not believe the case for or against has been made clear by either side. Secondly the vote seemed to me to be a waste of tax payers money and politically motivated. (Could the Argus find out the cost of the poll?) Of course the no camp who are so passionate on this issue would get their vote out.
The result of the vote was that 25% of voters eligible to vote are against the school becoming an a academy. This is hardly resounding. Most of the remaining 75% are looking on with bewilderment and cannot understand the passion this issue has generated. The vote was held before the strike action was announced. I can assure you that the vast majority of parents are against the strike. The strike will alienate the no campaign and play into the hands of headmaster Trimmer.
It appears to me that the no camp has been taken over by people with a political agenda. The Socialist Worker was being sold on the recent parent demo and the local Greens are getting heavily involved. This should not be about left, centrist or right wing politics but what is best for the school and its pupils. Teachers going on strike and a minority of parents supporting them on the picket lines is not best for children's education. Convince us with a coherent argument - not by a politically motivated strike and campaign.
I can agree with part of a post by Bightonian71 on an earlier article. He or she made a reasoned balanced case and is against the academy but stated that the whole issue has become divisive. Agreed and the result of this divisiveness is harming the pupils at the school.
I deliberately abstained from the council organized vote on this issue. I did so for two reasons. Firstly I do not believe the case for or against has been made clear by either side. Secondly the vote seemed to me to be a waste of tax payers money and politically motivated. (Could the Argus find out the cost of the poll?) Of course the no camp who are so passionate on this issue would get their vote out. The result of the vote was that 25% of voters eligible to vote are against the school becoming an a academy. This is hardly resounding. Most of the remaining 75% are looking on with bewilderment and cannot understand the passion this issue has generated. The vote was held before the strike action was announced. I can assure you that the vast majority of parents are against the strike. The strike will alienate the no campaign and play into the hands of headmaster Trimmer. It appears to me that the no camp has been taken over by people with a political agenda. The Socialist Worker was being sold on the recent parent demo and the local Greens are getting heavily involved. This should not be about left, centrist or right wing politics but what is best for the school and its pupils. Teachers going on strike and a minority of parents supporting them on the picket lines is not best for children's education. Convince us with a coherent argument - not by a politically motivated strike and campaign. I can agree with part of a post by Bightonian71 on an earlier article. He or she made a reasoned balanced case and is against the academy but stated that the whole issue has become divisive. Agreed and the result of this divisiveness is harming the pupils at the school. Fozborn
  • Score: 6

9:55am Wed 16 Jul 14

LB says...

"The result of the vote was that 25% of voters eligible to vote are against the school becoming an a academy. This is hardly resounding."

The current government is operating under a similar percentage of eligible voters and doesn't seem to be holding back?

This is a binary choice, it's bound to be divisive. Fundamentally it's about the State relinquishing democratic control of both the eduction of future generations of it's citizens and the ownership of the land and property in which that education occurs.
"The result of the vote was that 25% of voters eligible to vote are against the school becoming an a academy. This is hardly resounding." The current government is operating under a similar percentage of eligible voters and doesn't seem to be holding back? This is a binary choice, it's bound to be divisive. Fundamentally it's about the State relinquishing democratic control of both the eduction of future generations of it's citizens and the ownership of the land and property in which that education occurs. LB
  • Score: 10

10:37am Wed 16 Jul 14

GiddyMum says...

I couldn't agree more strongly with Fozborn . . . . .
Surely we should all stand back, take a breath and consider the impact that this is having on the pupils currently at the school and those due to start this coming September.
Apparently the recent protest march was very much a 'rent a mob' campaign and not at all indicative of parent/carers within the community.
I couldn't agree more strongly with Fozborn . . . . . Surely we should all stand back, take a breath and consider the impact that this is having on the pupils currently at the school and those due to start this coming September. Apparently the recent protest march was very much a 'rent a mob' campaign and not at all indicative of parent/carers within the community. GiddyMum
  • Score: 3

10:43am Wed 16 Jul 14

GiddyMum says...

Another point that I'd like to make is directly to Liz Ritson is that I can't believe her comment regarding the fact that it's better than Christmas - c'mon Liz - really - do you have that little respect for the education of the children you are supposed to care about. How can yet another day out of school be better than Christmas?
Another point that I'd like to make is directly to Liz Ritson is that I can't believe her comment regarding the fact that it's better than Christmas - c'mon Liz - really - do you have that little respect for the education of the children you are supposed to care about. How can yet another day out of school be better than Christmas? GiddyMum
  • Score: 2

11:33am Wed 16 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

Fozborn wrote:
I deliberately abstained from the council organized vote on this issue. I did so for two reasons. Firstly I do not believe the case for or against has been made clear by either side. Secondly the vote seemed to me to be a waste of tax payers money and politically motivated. (Could the Argus find out the cost of the poll?) Of course the no camp who are so passionate on this issue would get their vote out.
The result of the vote was that 25% of voters eligible to vote are against the school becoming an a academy. This is hardly resounding. Most of the remaining 75% are looking on with bewilderment and cannot understand the passion this issue has generated. The vote was held before the strike action was announced. I can assure you that the vast majority of parents are against the strike. The strike will alienate the no campaign and play into the hands of headmaster Trimmer.
It appears to me that the no camp has been taken over by people with a political agenda. The Socialist Worker was being sold on the recent parent demo and the local Greens are getting heavily involved. This should not be about left, centrist or right wing politics but what is best for the school and its pupils. Teachers going on strike and a minority of parents supporting them on the picket lines is not best for children's education. Convince us with a coherent argument - not by a politically motivated strike and campaign.
I can agree with part of a post by Bightonian71 on an earlier article. He or she made a reasoned balanced case and is against the academy but stated that the whole issue has become divisive. Agreed and the result of this divisiveness is harming the pupils at the school.
Whilst I agree with 95% of what you say on the matter, if people like you don't return ballot papers, then of course the exercise is a matter of taxpayers' money.
[quote][p][bold]Fozborn[/bold] wrote: I deliberately abstained from the council organized vote on this issue. I did so for two reasons. Firstly I do not believe the case for or against has been made clear by either side. Secondly the vote seemed to me to be a waste of tax payers money and politically motivated. (Could the Argus find out the cost of the poll?) Of course the no camp who are so passionate on this issue would get their vote out. The result of the vote was that 25% of voters eligible to vote are against the school becoming an a academy. This is hardly resounding. Most of the remaining 75% are looking on with bewilderment and cannot understand the passion this issue has generated. The vote was held before the strike action was announced. I can assure you that the vast majority of parents are against the strike. The strike will alienate the no campaign and play into the hands of headmaster Trimmer. It appears to me that the no camp has been taken over by people with a political agenda. The Socialist Worker was being sold on the recent parent demo and the local Greens are getting heavily involved. This should not be about left, centrist or right wing politics but what is best for the school and its pupils. Teachers going on strike and a minority of parents supporting them on the picket lines is not best for children's education. Convince us with a coherent argument - not by a politically motivated strike and campaign. I can agree with part of a post by Bightonian71 on an earlier article. He or she made a reasoned balanced case and is against the academy but stated that the whole issue has become divisive. Agreed and the result of this divisiveness is harming the pupils at the school.[/p][/quote]Whilst I agree with 95% of what you say on the matter, if people like you don't return ballot papers, then of course the exercise is a matter of taxpayers' money. stevo!!
  • Score: 0

11:37am Wed 16 Jul 14

ThinkBrighton says...

Once you get the Socialist Wan, sorry Workers involved you know it's not for the good of the children, just to stir up as much trouble as possible
Once you get the Socialist Wan, sorry Workers involved you know it's not for the good of the children, just to stir up as much trouble as possible ThinkBrighton
  • Score: -7

12:34pm Wed 16 Jul 14

Fozborn says...

Stevo
I'm not entirely sure what your point is. You seem to be taking issue with me abstaining from "the vote" organised by Brighton & Hove Council.
I would say that it wasn't a vote but an opinion poll commissioned by Sue Shanks, a councillor (Green, Withdean ward and Chair of the children and young people committee), with an agenda to push. As a local politician she would like to remain influential in the decisions made in our local schools. It was not a vote that would determine the outcome of the academy "consultation". This will be determined by the board of governors. Some of the governors are parents and they have the opportunity to represent the best interests of the pupils & parents when this decision is taken. They will understand properly the benefits and disadvantages of switching to an academy so will be in a good position to judge.
As an opinion poll I believe "the ballot" states that two thirds of parents don't have strong views either way on this so some people should all just take a deep breath and calm down a bit.
Stevo I'm not entirely sure what your point is. You seem to be taking issue with me abstaining from "the vote" organised by Brighton & Hove Council. I would say that it wasn't a vote but an opinion poll commissioned by Sue Shanks, a councillor (Green, Withdean ward and Chair of the children and young people committee), with an agenda to push. As a local politician she would like to remain influential in the decisions made in our local schools. It was not a vote that would determine the outcome of the academy "consultation". This will be determined by the board of governors. Some of the governors are parents and they have the opportunity to represent the best interests of the pupils & parents when this decision is taken. They will understand properly the benefits and disadvantages of switching to an academy so will be in a good position to judge. As an opinion poll I believe "the ballot" states that two thirds of parents don't have strong views either way on this so some people should all just take a deep breath and calm down a bit. Fozborn
  • Score: 1

12:54pm Wed 16 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

Fozborn wrote:
Stevo
I'm not entirely sure what your point is. You seem to be taking issue with me abstaining from "the vote" organised by Brighton & Hove Council.
I would say that it wasn't a vote but an opinion poll commissioned by Sue Shanks, a councillor (Green, Withdean ward and Chair of the children and young people committee), with an agenda to push. As a local politician she would like to remain influential in the decisions made in our local schools. It was not a vote that would determine the outcome of the academy "consultation". This will be determined by the board of governors. Some of the governors are parents and they have the opportunity to represent the best interests of the pupils & parents when this decision is taken. They will understand properly the benefits and disadvantages of switching to an academy so will be in a good position to judge.
As an opinion poll I believe "the ballot" states that two thirds of parents don't have strong views either way on this so some people should all just take a deep breath and calm down a bit.
Shanks commissioned the ballot because she believed that most of those eligible to vote are against the proposal and that the result would give more leverage in her campaign.

She mistakenly believed that support among parents was massive, following all the meetings the objectors have had. I produced a report from The Argus in May 2014 that showed more than 100 parents objected to the change in status.

It was certainly an opinion poll, not a binding election/referendum, and it showed that only 35% of parents are in favour of maintaining the status quo. My point was that you complained that it was a waste of money and that you chose to ignore it. It still cost money, but a bigger turnout might have returned a verdict that led the council to stop its current costly campaign, thus saving as -yet unspent taxpayers' money.

Thanks to those parents who didn't vote, we now have Shanks claiming that most parents are in favour of the present status with the inevitable result that more funds will be wasted in the campaign.
[quote][p][bold]Fozborn[/bold] wrote: Stevo I'm not entirely sure what your point is. You seem to be taking issue with me abstaining from "the vote" organised by Brighton & Hove Council. I would say that it wasn't a vote but an opinion poll commissioned by Sue Shanks, a councillor (Green, Withdean ward and Chair of the children and young people committee), with an agenda to push. As a local politician she would like to remain influential in the decisions made in our local schools. It was not a vote that would determine the outcome of the academy "consultation". This will be determined by the board of governors. Some of the governors are parents and they have the opportunity to represent the best interests of the pupils & parents when this decision is taken. They will understand properly the benefits and disadvantages of switching to an academy so will be in a good position to judge. As an opinion poll I believe "the ballot" states that two thirds of parents don't have strong views either way on this so some people should all just take a deep breath and calm down a bit.[/p][/quote]Shanks commissioned the ballot because she believed that most of those eligible to vote are against the proposal and that the result would give more leverage in her campaign. She mistakenly believed that support among parents was massive, following all the meetings the objectors have had. I produced a report from The Argus in May 2014 that showed more than 100 parents objected to the change in status. It was certainly an opinion poll, not a binding election/referendum, and it showed that only 35% of parents are in favour of maintaining the status quo. My point was that you complained that it was a waste of money and that you chose to ignore it. It still cost money, but a bigger turnout might have returned a verdict that led the council to stop its current costly campaign, thus saving as -yet unspent taxpayers' money. Thanks to those parents who didn't vote, we now have Shanks claiming that most parents are in favour of the present status with the inevitable result that more funds will be wasted in the campaign. stevo!!
  • Score: -4

1:04pm Wed 16 Jul 14

cookie_brighton says...

hope these teachers get fined for not being in school.......if we, parents, take our children out of school for 1+ day we are immediately fined.......so what is the difference with teachers not being in school....both scenarios mentioned have the same outcome........child
ren denied education........if teachers are not fined then I am sure that this will open the gate for any parent who has been fined to cjallenged that on reasons of......discriminati
on. I remember a case recently of a mother who asked the school for a day off for her son to attend a grandparents funeral, it was denied, the mother took her son to the funeral and was fined......disgustin
g
hope these teachers get fined for not being in school.......if we, parents, take our children out of school for 1+ day we are immediately fined.......so what is the difference with teachers not being in school....both scenarios mentioned have the same outcome........child ren denied education........if teachers are not fined then I am sure that this will open the gate for any parent who has been fined to cjallenged that on reasons of......discriminati on. I remember a case recently of a mother who asked the school for a day off for her son to attend a grandparents funeral, it was denied, the mother took her son to the funeral and was fined......disgustin g cookie_brighton
  • Score: -8

1:11pm Wed 16 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

LB wrote:
If a days closure of the school means Derek Trimmer and the Governors finally listen to the parents and staff then I'm more than grateful to the union members giving up a days pay to achieve it.

My daughter, at Blatch Mill, spent the day at Thorpe Park on Monday. I'm not sure there's a whole lot of educating being done in the last couple of weeks of term in any event, however much they want to fine parents for taking their kids out of school for a holiday.
Are you suggesting that Trimmer and Co haven't been listening to the objectors??

Or are you confusing 'listening to' with ' hearing and agreeing with'?

65% of parents aren't fussed either way.
[quote][p][bold]LB[/bold] wrote: If a days closure of the school means Derek Trimmer and the Governors finally listen to the parents and staff then I'm more than grateful to the union members giving up a days pay to achieve it. My daughter, at Blatch Mill, spent the day at Thorpe Park on Monday. I'm not sure there's a whole lot of educating being done in the last couple of weeks of term in any event, however much they want to fine parents for taking their kids out of school for a holiday.[/p][/quote]Are you suggesting that Trimmer and Co haven't been listening to the objectors?? Or are you confusing 'listening to' with ' hearing and agreeing with'? 65% of parents aren't fussed either way. stevo!!
  • Score: -4

1:19pm Wed 16 Jul 14

Withdean-er says...

What, another holiday?
Of those refusing to work there today, less than 100% will hold placards at the gates. A nice little lay-in following by a sunbathing trip to the beach being the preferred choice of activity.
What, another holiday? Of those refusing to work there today, less than 100% will hold placards at the gates. A nice little lay-in following by a sunbathing trip to the beach being the preferred choice of activity. Withdean-er
  • Score: -5

1:31pm Wed 16 Jul 14

Withdean-er says...

stevo!! wrote:
LB wrote:
If a days closure of the school means Derek Trimmer and the Governors finally listen to the parents and staff then I'm more than grateful to the union members giving up a days pay to achieve it.

My daughter, at Blatch Mill, spent the day at Thorpe Park on Monday. I'm not sure there's a whole lot of educating being done in the last couple of weeks of term in any event, however much they want to fine parents for taking their kids out of school for a holiday.
Are you suggesting that Trimmer and Co haven't been listening to the objectors??

Or are you confusing 'listening to' with ' hearing and agreeing with'?

65% of parents aren't fussed either way.
386 of 1,528 parents/households balloted said 'no'.
The remaining 1,142 said 'yes' to academy, or didn't respond at all.

Like all such issues, the 386 (25%) seem to be making a lot of noise, whereas the vast majority are not up in arms about the academy proposal. I suspect the academy will go ahead, and perhaps some of the disgruntled might privately be chuffed if the school's standards rise and their kids benefit.
[quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]LB[/bold] wrote: If a days closure of the school means Derek Trimmer and the Governors finally listen to the parents and staff then I'm more than grateful to the union members giving up a days pay to achieve it. My daughter, at Blatch Mill, spent the day at Thorpe Park on Monday. I'm not sure there's a whole lot of educating being done in the last couple of weeks of term in any event, however much they want to fine parents for taking their kids out of school for a holiday.[/p][/quote]Are you suggesting that Trimmer and Co haven't been listening to the objectors?? Or are you confusing 'listening to' with ' hearing and agreeing with'? 65% of parents aren't fussed either way.[/p][/quote]386 of 1,528 parents/households balloted said 'no'. The remaining 1,142 said 'yes' to academy, or didn't respond at all. Like all such issues, the 386 (25%) seem to be making a lot of noise, whereas the vast majority are not up in arms about the academy proposal. I suspect the academy will go ahead, and perhaps some of the disgruntled might privately be chuffed if the school's standards rise and their kids benefit. Withdean-er
  • Score: 1

1:35pm Wed 16 Jul 14

littlemisssunshine says...

LB wrote:
If a days closure of the school means Derek Trimmer and the Governors finally listen to the parents and staff then I'm more than grateful to the union members giving up a days pay to achieve it.

My daughter, at Blatch Mill, spent the day at Thorpe Park on Monday. I'm not sure there's a whole lot of educating being done in the last couple of weeks of term in any event, however much they want to fine parents for taking their kids out of school for a holiday.
The teachers striking today will have their loss of pay covered by the NUT - so they are not losing any pay. Funny isn't it how we as parents are penalised for taking our children out of school in term time, but a small minority of Hove Park's teachers deciding to disrupt learning and inconvenience parents by closing down a school for the day are paid in full for doing so?
[quote][p][bold]LB[/bold] wrote: If a days closure of the school means Derek Trimmer and the Governors finally listen to the parents and staff then I'm more than grateful to the union members giving up a days pay to achieve it. My daughter, at Blatch Mill, spent the day at Thorpe Park on Monday. I'm not sure there's a whole lot of educating being done in the last couple of weeks of term in any event, however much they want to fine parents for taking their kids out of school for a holiday.[/p][/quote]The teachers striking today will have their loss of pay covered by the NUT - so they are not losing any pay. Funny isn't it how we as parents are penalised for taking our children out of school in term time, but a small minority of Hove Park's teachers deciding to disrupt learning and inconvenience parents by closing down a school for the day are paid in full for doing so? littlemisssunshine
  • Score: -3

1:38pm Wed 16 Jul 14

mangledcat says...

LB wrote:
If a days closure of the school means Derek Trimmer and the Governors finally listen to the parents and staff then I'm more than grateful to the union members giving up a days pay to achieve it.

My daughter, at Blatch Mill, spent the day at Thorpe Park on Monday. I'm not sure there's a whole lot of educating being done in the last couple of weeks of term in any event, however much they want to fine parents for taking their kids out of school for a holiday.
Listen to the minority of the parents, you mean. Most don't mind either way, some actively are in favour and a quarter are against.
[quote][p][bold]LB[/bold] wrote: If a days closure of the school means Derek Trimmer and the Governors finally listen to the parents and staff then I'm more than grateful to the union members giving up a days pay to achieve it. My daughter, at Blatch Mill, spent the day at Thorpe Park on Monday. I'm not sure there's a whole lot of educating being done in the last couple of weeks of term in any event, however much they want to fine parents for taking their kids out of school for a holiday.[/p][/quote]Listen to the minority of the parents, you mean. Most don't mind either way, some actively are in favour and a quarter are against. mangledcat
  • Score: -2

1:49pm Wed 16 Jul 14

LB says...

"The teachers striking today will have their loss of pay covered by the NUT"

I'd do some fact checks on that if I were you.

I'll turn my other statement around;

We have 10% of the current parents of children at a school actively supporting it converting to an Academy.

Should that be enough for it to go ahead? My view is it's not.

If it does happen then it's being done in the face of a mixture of overwhelming (90% of all parents have not voted in favour of it) opposition and apathy from other parents and in the direct opposition to the majority of the teaching staff who have been given the opportunity to vote on the matter.
"The teachers striking today will have their loss of pay covered by the NUT" I'd do some fact checks on that if I were you. I'll turn my other statement around; We have 10% of the current parents of children at a school actively supporting it converting to an Academy. Should that be enough for it to go ahead? My view is it's not. If it does happen then it's being done in the face of a mixture of overwhelming (90% of all parents have not voted in favour of it) opposition and apathy from other parents and in the direct opposition to the majority of the teaching staff who have been given the opportunity to vote on the matter. LB
  • Score: 6

1:55pm Wed 16 Jul 14

Quiterie says...

GiddyMum wrote:
I couldn't agree more strongly with Fozborn . . . . .
Surely we should all stand back, take a breath and consider the impact that this is having on the pupils currently at the school and those due to start this coming September.
Apparently the recent protest march was very much a 'rent a mob' campaign and not at all indicative of parent/carers within the community.
I don't understand your point. What's stopping you from "standing back, taking a breath and considering the impact that this is having on the pupils"?

What better way to focus the mind on the pros and cons of Academy status and stimulate discussion than having a parent ballot and a day of strike action?
[quote][p][bold]GiddyMum[/bold] wrote: I couldn't agree more strongly with Fozborn . . . . . Surely we should all stand back, take a breath and consider the impact that this is having on the pupils currently at the school and those due to start this coming September. Apparently the recent protest march was very much a 'rent a mob' campaign and not at all indicative of parent/carers within the community.[/p][/quote]I don't understand your point. What's stopping you from "standing back, taking a breath and considering the impact that this is having on the pupils"? What better way to focus the mind on the pros and cons of Academy status and stimulate discussion than having a parent ballot and a day of strike action? Quiterie
  • Score: 4

1:56pm Wed 16 Jul 14

littlemisssunshine says...

Absolutely disgusted that a teacher can publically say that closing the school to children for the day is 'like Christmas.' Someone with such a profound lack of emotional intelligence should not be in the teaching profession.
Absolutely disgusted that a teacher can publically say that closing the school to children for the day is 'like Christmas.' Someone with such a profound lack of emotional intelligence should not be in the teaching profession. littlemisssunshine
  • Score: 2

2:03pm Wed 16 Jul 14

Quiterie says...

Fozborn wrote:
I deliberately abstained from the council organized vote on this issue. I did so for two reasons. Firstly I do not believe the case for or against has been made clear by either side. Secondly the vote seemed to me to be a waste of tax payers money and politically motivated. (Could the Argus find out the cost of the poll?) Of course the no camp who are so passionate on this issue would get their vote out.
The result of the vote was that 25% of voters eligible to vote are against the school becoming an a academy. This is hardly resounding. Most of the remaining 75% are looking on with bewilderment and cannot understand the passion this issue has generated. The vote was held before the strike action was announced. I can assure you that the vast majority of parents are against the strike. The strike will alienate the no campaign and play into the hands of headmaster Trimmer.
It appears to me that the no camp has been taken over by people with a political agenda. The Socialist Worker was being sold on the recent parent demo and the local Greens are getting heavily involved. This should not be about left, centrist or right wing politics but what is best for the school and its pupils. Teachers going on strike and a minority of parents supporting them on the picket lines is not best for children's education. Convince us with a coherent argument - not by a politically motivated strike and campaign.
I can agree with part of a post by Bightonian71 on an earlier article. He or she made a reasoned balanced case and is against the academy but stated that the whole issue has become divisive. Agreed and the result of this divisiveness is harming the pupils at the school.
This argument that only 25% of eligible voters are against the school becoming an a academy is exceptionally weak.

The whole basis of a democracy is that the views of those who can be bothered to vote are reasonably representative of the electorate as a whole.

If people don't accept that is the case then Councillors wouldn't be elected, MPs wouldn't be elected and Governments wouldn't be formed. There would be anarchy or a dictatorship.

As I say an exceptionally weak and desperate argument.
[quote][p][bold]Fozborn[/bold] wrote: I deliberately abstained from the council organized vote on this issue. I did so for two reasons. Firstly I do not believe the case for or against has been made clear by either side. Secondly the vote seemed to me to be a waste of tax payers money and politically motivated. (Could the Argus find out the cost of the poll?) Of course the no camp who are so passionate on this issue would get their vote out. The result of the vote was that 25% of voters eligible to vote are against the school becoming an a academy. This is hardly resounding. Most of the remaining 75% are looking on with bewilderment and cannot understand the passion this issue has generated. The vote was held before the strike action was announced. I can assure you that the vast majority of parents are against the strike. The strike will alienate the no campaign and play into the hands of headmaster Trimmer. It appears to me that the no camp has been taken over by people with a political agenda. The Socialist Worker was being sold on the recent parent demo and the local Greens are getting heavily involved. This should not be about left, centrist or right wing politics but what is best for the school and its pupils. Teachers going on strike and a minority of parents supporting them on the picket lines is not best for children's education. Convince us with a coherent argument - not by a politically motivated strike and campaign. I can agree with part of a post by Bightonian71 on an earlier article. He or she made a reasoned balanced case and is against the academy but stated that the whole issue has become divisive. Agreed and the result of this divisiveness is harming the pupils at the school.[/p][/quote]This argument that only 25% of eligible voters are against the school becoming an a academy is exceptionally weak. The whole basis of a democracy is that the views of those who can be bothered to vote are reasonably representative of the electorate as a whole. If people don't accept that is the case then Councillors wouldn't be elected, MPs wouldn't be elected and Governments wouldn't be formed. There would be anarchy or a dictatorship. As I say an exceptionally weak and desperate argument. Quiterie
  • Score: 5

2:18pm Wed 16 Jul 14

Withdean-er says...

The only desperation is coming from the politically entrenched and noisy 25% who don't care about children missing another day's education. No wonder other non-striking schools lead the way in all respects. No problem, as Hove Park will soon be joining them with a raise in standards as an academy. The winners long-term will be the pupils, who appear to be an inconvenience at the moment.
The only desperation is coming from the politically entrenched and noisy 25% who don't care about children missing another day's education. No wonder other non-striking schools lead the way in all respects. No problem, as Hove Park will soon be joining them with a raise in standards as an academy. The winners long-term will be the pupils, who appear to be an inconvenience at the moment. Withdean-er
  • Score: -4

2:39pm Wed 16 Jul 14

Jules boy says...

Probably spent the day working out what to strike against next - bloody disgrace, start taking some pride in your work - attend it for a start, if you don't like it do the honorable thing and resign.
Probably spent the day working out what to strike against next - bloody disgrace, start taking some pride in your work - attend it for a start, if you don't like it do the honorable thing and resign. Jules boy
  • Score: -10

2:53pm Wed 16 Jul 14

Jules boy says...

Why can't the teachers, instead of striking a day here and there strike for a whole week each year so families can take an affordable holiday in term time - might get more parents on your side that way?
Why can't the teachers, instead of striking a day here and there strike for a whole week each year so families can take an affordable holiday in term time - might get more parents on your side that way? Jules boy
  • Score: -6

3:14pm Wed 16 Jul 14

jiving says...

Well done hove parkers. I'm a former pupil and and completely back you 100%, if it weren't for work I would have been there with you this morning aswell. Keep it up
Well done hove parkers. I'm a former pupil and and completely back you 100%, if it weren't for work I would have been there with you this morning aswell. Keep it up jiving
  • Score: 3

3:41pm Wed 16 Jul 14

Quiterie says...

littlemisssunshine wrote:
Absolutely disgusted that a teacher can publically say that closing the school to children for the day is 'like Christmas.' Someone with such a profound lack of emotional intelligence should not be in the teaching profession.
I agree it was a very poor choice of words. I suspect she was talking more about Gove getting the boot, but it was a silly thing to say. Of course she may have been misquoted by the Argus (which wouldn't surprise me at all).
[quote][p][bold]littlemisssunshine[/bold] wrote: Absolutely disgusted that a teacher can publically say that closing the school to children for the day is 'like Christmas.' Someone with such a profound lack of emotional intelligence should not be in the teaching profession.[/p][/quote]I agree it was a very poor choice of words. I suspect she was talking more about Gove getting the boot, but it was a silly thing to say. Of course she may have been misquoted by the Argus (which wouldn't surprise me at all). Quiterie
  • Score: 0

3:50pm Wed 16 Jul 14

HoveResident1 says...

So once again the teachers at Hove Park find it acceptable to disrupt my children's education because of something that MIGHT happen.

Many of these striking teachers were probably at the school when it was failing and in danger of mandatory being turned into an academy. That was until Mr. Timmer arrived at the school and through his vision and strategies (and of course support from the staff) turned it right around. This same Mr. Trimmer believes that in order to get to the next level, the school should become an academy. If that's what he believes then his record, to me, demonstrates that we should trust his judgement.

My wife was advised by striking teachers at the school today whilst walking her dog that most of the teachers are striking as they do not believe in the school becoming an academy. Should that mean that the leadership team should all strike if the school does not become an academy? She was also told that 'most' parents are against the move. 'Most', as it turns out is a quarter of parents who expressed their opinion in a poll (not a vote remember). She was also told that Mr. Trimmer can not force this through just because he and his leadership want to. Well, true, it is for the Governors to decide, but if the teachers can not trust the judgement of their leader then why have management at all? (Although I feel from the political overtones of many at the picket this is probably the bigger agenda anyway!).
So once again the teachers at Hove Park find it acceptable to disrupt my children's education because of something that MIGHT happen. Many of these striking teachers were probably at the school when it was failing and in danger of mandatory being turned into an academy. That was until Mr. Timmer arrived at the school and through his vision and strategies (and of course support from the staff) turned it right around. This same Mr. Trimmer believes that in order to get to the next level, the school should become an academy. If that's what he believes then his record, to me, demonstrates that we should trust his judgement. My wife was advised by striking teachers at the school today whilst walking her dog that most of the teachers are striking as they do not believe in the school becoming an academy. Should that mean that the leadership team should all strike if the school does not become an academy? She was also told that 'most' parents are against the move. 'Most', as it turns out is a quarter of parents who expressed their opinion in a poll (not a vote remember). She was also told that Mr. Trimmer can not force this through just because he and his leadership want to. Well, true, it is for the Governors to decide, but if the teachers can not trust the judgement of their leader then why have management at all? (Although I feel from the political overtones of many at the picket this is probably the bigger agenda anyway!). HoveResident1
  • Score: 1

4:18pm Wed 16 Jul 14

mangledcat says...

HoveResident1 wrote:
So once again the teachers at Hove Park find it acceptable to disrupt my children's education because of something that MIGHT happen.

Many of these striking teachers were probably at the school when it was failing and in danger of mandatory being turned into an academy. That was until Mr. Timmer arrived at the school and through his vision and strategies (and of course support from the staff) turned it right around. This same Mr. Trimmer believes that in order to get to the next level, the school should become an academy. If that's what he believes then his record, to me, demonstrates that we should trust his judgement.

My wife was advised by striking teachers at the school today whilst walking her dog that most of the teachers are striking as they do not believe in the school becoming an academy. Should that mean that the leadership team should all strike if the school does not become an academy? She was also told that 'most' parents are against the move. 'Most', as it turns out is a quarter of parents who expressed their opinion in a poll (not a vote remember). She was also told that Mr. Trimmer can not force this through just because he and his leadership want to. Well, true, it is for the Governors to decide, but if the teachers can not trust the judgement of their leader then why have management at all? (Although I feel from the political overtones of many at the picket this is probably the bigger agenda anyway!).
Totally agree.
[quote][p][bold]HoveResident1[/bold] wrote: So once again the teachers at Hove Park find it acceptable to disrupt my children's education because of something that MIGHT happen. Many of these striking teachers were probably at the school when it was failing and in danger of mandatory being turned into an academy. That was until Mr. Timmer arrived at the school and through his vision and strategies (and of course support from the staff) turned it right around. This same Mr. Trimmer believes that in order to get to the next level, the school should become an academy. If that's what he believes then his record, to me, demonstrates that we should trust his judgement. My wife was advised by striking teachers at the school today whilst walking her dog that most of the teachers are striking as they do not believe in the school becoming an academy. Should that mean that the leadership team should all strike if the school does not become an academy? She was also told that 'most' parents are against the move. 'Most', as it turns out is a quarter of parents who expressed their opinion in a poll (not a vote remember). She was also told that Mr. Trimmer can not force this through just because he and his leadership want to. Well, true, it is for the Governors to decide, but if the teachers can not trust the judgement of their leader then why have management at all? (Although I feel from the political overtones of many at the picket this is probably the bigger agenda anyway!).[/p][/quote]Totally agree. mangledcat
  • Score: -5

5:17pm Wed 16 Jul 14

M. Foote says...

To all those that dont like the result of the ballot...TOUGH...you should have organised a coherent opposition to the the opposition, but you didnt did you...its just whinge whinge whinge...and I bet you are all Tory voters...The teachers and a large section of parents got active and decided what they wanted, and used democracy to get it..and you dont like that...well that says more about you than them...well done to Liz and her union members. Down with Morgan and Gove and all the power mad greedy headmasters, who care only for pound signs and not the poorest and most needy kids. Down with all those that would crush any opposition because it doesnt fit their jam and Jerusalem view of society...Oh and if you had bothered to see the demonstration (which I gaurantee you didnt) you would have seen hundreds of members of the public in total support. Off you go then, start whinging again...SOLIDARITY WITH THE STRIKERS!!!!
To all those that dont like the result of the ballot...TOUGH...you should have organised a coherent opposition to the the opposition, but you didnt did you...its just whinge whinge whinge...and I bet you are all Tory voters...The teachers and a large section of parents got active and decided what they wanted, and used democracy to get it..and you dont like that...well that says more about you than them...well done to Liz and her union members. Down with Morgan and Gove and all the power mad greedy headmasters, who care only for pound signs and not the poorest and most needy kids. Down with all those that would crush any opposition because it doesnt fit their jam and Jerusalem view of society...Oh and if you had bothered to see the demonstration (which I gaurantee you didnt) you would have seen hundreds of members of the public in total support. Off you go then, start whinging again...SOLIDARITY WITH THE STRIKERS!!!! M. Foote
  • Score: 5

5:21pm Wed 16 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

" you would have seen hundreds of members of the public in total support. "

Suggesting that millions of people don't support the campaign.

Did Mark Steel let us know how he voted, btw, or was he just part of the rent-a-mob bunch?
" you would have seen hundreds of members of the public in total support. " Suggesting that millions of people don't support the campaign. Did Mark Steel let us know how he voted, btw, or was he just part of the rent-a-mob bunch? stevo!!
  • Score: -6

6:18pm Wed 16 Jul 14

Nikski says...

M. Foote wrote:
To all those that dont like the result of the ballot...TOUGH...you should have organised a coherent opposition to the the opposition, but you didnt did you...its just whinge whinge whinge...and I bet you are all Tory voters...The teachers and a large section of parents got active and decided what they wanted, and used democracy to get it..and you dont like that...well that says more about you than them...well done to Liz and her union members. Down with Morgan and Gove and all the power mad greedy headmasters, who care only for pound signs and not the poorest and most needy kids. Down with all those that would crush any opposition because it doesnt fit their jam and Jerusalem view of society...Oh and if you had bothered to see the demonstration (which I gaurantee you didnt) you would have seen hundreds of members of the public in total support. Off you go then, start whinging again...SOLIDARITY WITH THE STRIKERS!!!!
We'll said Mr Foote! Unfortunately there are many people who post on here who clearly don't understand democracy or don't care for it if it doesn't support their agenda. There are also a number who regularly rant, complain and put a negative spin on good news stories or successful examples of people power! You only have to read some of the comments about the wind farm.....eek terrible bird-eating monstrosities that will spoil the view! Give me fracking and pollution any day! My children have grown up now so no longer attend school, but I certainly wouldn't h asvs wanted their school turned into an academy and would have joined a campaign to oppose it. So well done those Hove Park parents & teachers who have taken a stand on behalf of the pupils and rejected the privatisation
[quote][p][bold]M. Foote[/bold] wrote: To all those that dont like the result of the ballot...TOUGH...you should have organised a coherent opposition to the the opposition, but you didnt did you...its just whinge whinge whinge...and I bet you are all Tory voters...The teachers and a large section of parents got active and decided what they wanted, and used democracy to get it..and you dont like that...well that says more about you than them...well done to Liz and her union members. Down with Morgan and Gove and all the power mad greedy headmasters, who care only for pound signs and not the poorest and most needy kids. Down with all those that would crush any opposition because it doesnt fit their jam and Jerusalem view of society...Oh and if you had bothered to see the demonstration (which I gaurantee you didnt) you would have seen hundreds of members of the public in total support. Off you go then, start whinging again...SOLIDARITY WITH THE STRIKERS!!!![/p][/quote]We'll said Mr Foote! Unfortunately there are many people who post on here who clearly don't understand democracy or don't care for it if it doesn't support their agenda. There are also a number who regularly rant, complain and put a negative spin on good news stories or successful examples of people power! You only have to read some of the comments about the wind farm.....eek terrible bird-eating monstrosities that will spoil the view! Give me fracking and pollution any day! My children have grown up now so no longer attend school, but I certainly wouldn't h asvs wanted their school turned into an academy and would have joined a campaign to oppose it. So well done those Hove Park parents & teachers who have taken a stand on behalf of the pupils and rejected the privatisation Nikski
  • Score: 3

6:20pm Wed 16 Jul 14

Nikski says...

(Continued) of education. I applaud you all, now to keep up the fight against privatisation of the NHS!
(Continued) of education. I applaud you all, now to keep up the fight against privatisation of the NHS! Nikski
  • Score: 1

7:44pm Wed 16 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

"We'll said Mr Foote! Unfortunately there are many people who post on here who clearly don't understand democracy or don't care for it if it doesn't support their agenda. "

Democracy?

65% of parents don't care about whether the status of the school changes.

Further, you seem to be unaware that the vote has absolutely no value as regards how the school's affairs are conducted.

It was simply used as leverage by a few hundred parents who are opposed to the change in status. They represent 25% of the parents - one quarter.

Why should the views of one quarter govern the remaining three-quarters?
"We'll said Mr Foote! Unfortunately there are many people who post on here who clearly don't understand democracy or don't care for it if it doesn't support their agenda. " Democracy? 65% of parents don't care about whether the status of the school changes. Further, you seem to be unaware that the vote has absolutely no value as regards how the school's affairs are conducted. It was simply used as leverage by a few hundred parents who are opposed to the change in status. They represent 25% of the parents - one quarter. Why should the views of one quarter govern the remaining three-quarters? stevo!!
  • Score: -2

8:47pm Wed 16 Jul 14

Nikski says...

stevo!! wrote:
"We'll said Mr Foote! Unfortunately there are many people who post on here who clearly don't understand democracy or don't care for it if it doesn't support their agenda. "

Democracy?

65% of parents don't care about whether the status of the school changes.

Further, you seem to be unaware that the vote has absolutely no value as regards how the school's affairs are conducted.

It was simply used as leverage by a few hundred parents who are opposed to the change in status. They represent 25% of the parents - one quarter.

Why should the views of one quarter govern the remaining three-quarters?
Like I said: many people don't understand democracy (at least our version of it). The will of the majority who vote will prevail, as in political elections. Have you noticed how we have a government which fewer people voted for than didn't? It's because between them the coalition have more votes ie a larger percentage of those who voted. It's not that difficult to understand surely? If you can't be bothered to vote you really have no right to complain about the result. Apathy and laziness achieves nothing. Which brings me nicely to the next point; in an earlier post you referred to a 'rent-a-mob'. Why is that stevo? Some people actually get off their butts and do things rather than tapping out stuff on a keyboard. You should try it sometime, it might make you feel good about yourself!
[quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: "We'll said Mr Foote! Unfortunately there are many people who post on here who clearly don't understand democracy or don't care for it if it doesn't support their agenda. " Democracy? 65% of parents don't care about whether the status of the school changes. Further, you seem to be unaware that the vote has absolutely no value as regards how the school's affairs are conducted. It was simply used as leverage by a few hundred parents who are opposed to the change in status. They represent 25% of the parents - one quarter. Why should the views of one quarter govern the remaining three-quarters?[/p][/quote]Like I said: many people don't understand democracy (at least our version of it). The will of the majority who vote will prevail, as in political elections. Have you noticed how we have a government which fewer people voted for than didn't? It's because between them the coalition have more votes ie a larger percentage of those who voted. It's not that difficult to understand surely? If you can't be bothered to vote you really have no right to complain about the result. Apathy and laziness achieves nothing. Which brings me nicely to the next point; in an earlier post you referred to a 'rent-a-mob'. Why is that stevo? Some people actually get off their butts and do things rather than tapping out stuff on a keyboard. You should try it sometime, it might make you feel good about yourself! Nikski
  • Score: -1

9:26pm Wed 16 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

"Which brings me nicely to the next point; in an earlier post you referred to a 'rent-a-mob'. Why is that stevo? Some people actually get off their butts and do things rather than tapping out stuff on a keyboard. You should try it sometime, it might make you feel good about yourself!"

First of all, try and refrain from making comments how you imagine others are living their lives, because it makes you appear sad, desperate and foolish.

The rent-a-mob comment arose from those who joined the protests who have no vested interest in the outcome.
"Which brings me nicely to the next point; in an earlier post you referred to a 'rent-a-mob'. Why is that stevo? Some people actually get off their butts and do things rather than tapping out stuff on a keyboard. You should try it sometime, it might make you feel good about yourself!" First of all, try and refrain from making comments how you imagine others are living their lives, because it makes you appear sad, desperate and foolish. The rent-a-mob comment arose from those who joined the protests who have no vested interest in the outcome. stevo!!
  • Score: -1

10:04pm Wed 16 Jul 14

M. Foote says...

@ SteveO... because only a percentage of the parents voted, you argue that the consultative ballot is irrelevant. It gives a clear indication that this proposal is not supported...It is wrong of you to assume that because the other parents did not wish to engage in the vote, that they would lend their support to your position. Remember some of the parents actually voted in favour of a change to accademy status, but even if we were to project and extend that across all of the parents there would have still been a resounding victory for the NO campaign... You look a complete oaf by stating that all of those didnt vote would validate the argument you posit. Further lets assume for a moment the ballot had gone the way you support, would you be so keen to dismiss it then...I VERY MUCH DOUBT IT! You see SteveO you seem just a little too keen for us all to listen to your inane whitterings... whitterings you appear to have given about thirty seconds thought. You apparently only like votes when they go the way you want, and you obviously follow the Francis Maude school of democracy..which is to stamp on any and every voice of opposition particularly those that gain traction with the public...you sir are not a democrat you are a potential tyrant, you are the Orwellian boot stamping on faces for eternity.....of you go...time for another whitter. Yawn!
@ SteveO... because only a percentage of the parents voted, you argue that the consultative ballot is irrelevant. It gives a clear indication that this proposal is not supported...It is wrong of you to assume that because the other parents did not wish to engage in the vote, that they would lend their support to your position. Remember some of the parents actually voted in favour of a change to accademy status, but even if we were to project and extend that across all of the parents there would have still been a resounding victory for the NO campaign... You look a complete oaf by stating that all of those didnt vote would validate the argument you posit. Further lets assume for a moment the ballot had gone the way you support, would you be so keen to dismiss it then...I VERY MUCH DOUBT IT! You see SteveO you seem just a little too keen for us all to listen to your inane whitterings... whitterings you appear to have given about thirty seconds thought. You apparently only like votes when they go the way you want, and you obviously follow the Francis Maude school of democracy..which is to stamp on any and every voice of opposition particularly those that gain traction with the public...you sir are not a democrat you are a potential tyrant, you are the Orwellian boot stamping on faces for eternity.....of you go...time for another whitter. Yawn! M. Foote
  • Score: 0

10:13pm Wed 16 Jul 14

Nikski says...

stevo!! wrote:
"Which brings me nicely to the next point; in an earlier post you referred to a 'rent-a-mob'. Why is that stevo? Some people actually get off their butts and do things rather than tapping out stuff on a keyboard. You should try it sometime, it might make you feel good about yourself!"

First of all, try and refrain from making comments how you imagine others are living their lives, because it makes you appear sad, desperate and foolish.

The rent-a-mob comment arose from those who joined the protests who have no vested interest in the outcome.
How do you know? Another assumption stevo...
[quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: "Which brings me nicely to the next point; in an earlier post you referred to a 'rent-a-mob'. Why is that stevo? Some people actually get off their butts and do things rather than tapping out stuff on a keyboard. You should try it sometime, it might make you feel good about yourself!" First of all, try and refrain from making comments how you imagine others are living their lives, because it makes you appear sad, desperate and foolish. The rent-a-mob comment arose from those who joined the protests who have no vested interest in the outcome.[/p][/quote]How do you know? Another assumption stevo... Nikski
  • Score: 0

10:17pm Wed 16 Jul 14

Nikski says...

"First of all, try and refrain from making comments how you imagine others are living their lives, because it makes you appear sad, desperate and foolish."
Unlike you then stevo?
"First of all, try and refrain from making comments how you imagine others are living their lives, because it makes you appear sad, desperate and foolish." Unlike you then stevo? Nikski
  • Score: 1

10:28pm Wed 16 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

Nikski wrote:
"First of all, try and refrain from making comments how you imagine others are living their lives, because it makes you appear sad, desperate and foolish."
Unlike you then stevo?
Yup, I never comment on how I believe others are living their lives.
[quote][p][bold]Nikski[/bold] wrote: "First of all, try and refrain from making comments how you imagine others are living their lives, because it makes you appear sad, desperate and foolish." Unlike you then stevo?[/p][/quote]Yup, I never comment on how I believe others are living their lives. stevo!!
  • Score: 0

10:33pm Wed 16 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

M. Foote wrote:
@ SteveO... because only a percentage of the parents voted, you argue that the consultative ballot is irrelevant. It gives a clear indication that this proposal is not supported...It is wrong of you to assume that because the other parents did not wish to engage in the vote, that they would lend their support to your position. Remember some of the parents actually voted in favour of a change to accademy status, but even if we were to project and extend that across all of the parents there would have still been a resounding victory for the NO campaign... You look a complete oaf by stating that all of those didnt vote would validate the argument you posit. Further lets assume for a moment the ballot had gone the way you support, would you be so keen to dismiss it then...I VERY MUCH DOUBT IT! You see SteveO you seem just a little too keen for us all to listen to your inane whitterings... whitterings you appear to have given about thirty seconds thought. You apparently only like votes when they go the way you want, and you obviously follow the Francis Maude school of democracy..which is to stamp on any and every voice of opposition particularly those that gain traction with the public...you sir are not a democrat you are a potential tyrant, you are the Orwellian boot stamping on faces for eternity.....of you go...time for another whitter. Yawn!
You are free to discuss any statements I make that you think bear no relation to reality. Whether I give them ten seconds' or ten hours' thought is not your concern - the finished product is.

The vote was merely an opinion poll - it wasn't an election, with the 35% claiming that they should get their way on the matter, so all this wittering on about democracy doesn't apply.

I was quite happy for the vote to be taken, because I knew that support among the parents for retaining the status quo wasn't that high. I was proven right.

And thank you for getting abusive.......it's an admission that you haven't the intelligence to discuss my posts.

Sleep tight ;-)
[quote][p][bold]M. Foote[/bold] wrote: @ SteveO... because only a percentage of the parents voted, you argue that the consultative ballot is irrelevant. It gives a clear indication that this proposal is not supported...It is wrong of you to assume that because the other parents did not wish to engage in the vote, that they would lend their support to your position. Remember some of the parents actually voted in favour of a change to accademy status, but even if we were to project and extend that across all of the parents there would have still been a resounding victory for the NO campaign... You look a complete oaf by stating that all of those didnt vote would validate the argument you posit. Further lets assume for a moment the ballot had gone the way you support, would you be so keen to dismiss it then...I VERY MUCH DOUBT IT! You see SteveO you seem just a little too keen for us all to listen to your inane whitterings... whitterings you appear to have given about thirty seconds thought. You apparently only like votes when they go the way you want, and you obviously follow the Francis Maude school of democracy..which is to stamp on any and every voice of opposition particularly those that gain traction with the public...you sir are not a democrat you are a potential tyrant, you are the Orwellian boot stamping on faces for eternity.....of you go...time for another whitter. Yawn![/p][/quote]You are free to discuss any statements I make that you think bear no relation to reality. Whether I give them ten seconds' or ten hours' thought is not your concern - the finished product is. The vote was merely an opinion poll - it wasn't an election, with the 35% claiming that they should get their way on the matter, so all this wittering on about democracy doesn't apply. I was quite happy for the vote to be taken, because I knew that support among the parents for retaining the status quo wasn't that high. I was proven right. And thank you for getting abusive.......it's an admission that you haven't the intelligence to discuss my posts. Sleep tight ;-) stevo!!
  • Score: -1

10:34pm Wed 16 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

Nikski wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
"Which brings me nicely to the next point; in an earlier post you referred to a 'rent-a-mob'. Why is that stevo? Some people actually get off their butts and do things rather than tapping out stuff on a keyboard. You should try it sometime, it might make you feel good about yourself!"

First of all, try and refrain from making comments how you imagine others are living their lives, because it makes you appear sad, desperate and foolish.

The rent-a-mob comment arose from those who joined the protests who have no vested interest in the outcome.
How do you know? Another assumption stevo...
I assumed nothing....I know exactly how my statements are formed and from where my comments come.
[quote][p][bold]Nikski[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: "Which brings me nicely to the next point; in an earlier post you referred to a 'rent-a-mob'. Why is that stevo? Some people actually get off their butts and do things rather than tapping out stuff on a keyboard. You should try it sometime, it might make you feel good about yourself!" First of all, try and refrain from making comments how you imagine others are living their lives, because it makes you appear sad, desperate and foolish. The rent-a-mob comment arose from those who joined the protests who have no vested interest in the outcome.[/p][/quote]How do you know? Another assumption stevo...[/p][/quote]I assumed nothing....I know exactly how my statements are formed and from where my comments come. stevo!!
  • Score: -1

11:16pm Wed 16 Jul 14

M. Foote says...

If your posts were intelligent then perhaps we could have a discussion, instead they are drivel wrapped up in pomposity. I am a happy part of the so called "rent a mob" I joined in, because I am sickened by the destruction of our education system. I joined because a battle needs to be fought somewhere, and at Hove Park the "PUBLIC" were brave enough to challenge the dictate of a power mad head, and I for one dont want my childs future education destroyed by Govian ideology...Now go on argue how we are misquoting you again....or spin it to sound different to your previous utterances....whitte
r whitter whitter....
If your posts were intelligent then perhaps we could have a discussion, instead they are drivel wrapped up in pomposity. I am a happy part of the so called "rent a mob" I joined in, because I am sickened by the destruction of our education system. I joined because a battle needs to be fought somewhere, and at Hove Park the "PUBLIC" were brave enough to challenge the dictate of a power mad head, and I for one dont want my childs future education destroyed by Govian ideology...Now go on argue how we are misquoting you again....or spin it to sound different to your previous utterances....whitte r whitter whitter.... M. Foote
  • Score: 1

11:19pm Wed 16 Jul 14

M. Foote says...

That was @ SteveO BTW.....
That was @ SteveO BTW..... M. Foote
  • Score: 0

11:47pm Wed 16 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

M. Foote wrote:
If your posts were intelligent then perhaps we could have a discussion, instead they are drivel wrapped up in pomposity. I am a happy part of the so called "rent a mob" I joined in, because I am sickened by the destruction of our education system. I joined because a battle needs to be fought somewhere, and at Hove Park the "PUBLIC" were brave enough to challenge the dictate of a power mad head, and I for one dont want my childs future education destroyed by Govian ideology...Now go on argue how we are misquoting you again....or spin it to sound different to your previous utterances....whitte

r whitter whitter....
How can trying to secure extra funding for a school possibly be described as 'destruction'?


How can the existing Head of a school possibly be described as 'power-mad'?

Have I accused anyone of misquoting me? No, so your use of the word again shows that you don't know what the word means.

At least you admit to being part of the rent-of-mob - why should your views be considered superior to those of the parents and the governors?
[quote][p][bold]M. Foote[/bold] wrote: If your posts were intelligent then perhaps we could have a discussion, instead they are drivel wrapped up in pomposity. I am a happy part of the so called "rent a mob" I joined in, because I am sickened by the destruction of our education system. I joined because a battle needs to be fought somewhere, and at Hove Park the "PUBLIC" were brave enough to challenge the dictate of a power mad head, and I for one dont want my childs future education destroyed by Govian ideology...Now go on argue how we are misquoting you again....or spin it to sound different to your previous utterances....whitte r whitter whitter....[/p][/quote]How can trying to secure extra funding for a school possibly be described as 'destruction'? How can the existing Head of a school possibly be described as 'power-mad'? Have I accused anyone of misquoting me? No, so your use of the word again shows that you don't know what the word means. At least you admit to being part of the rent-of-mob - why should your views be considered superior to those of the parents and the governors? stevo!!
  • Score: 0

9:23am Thu 17 Jul 14

Nikski says...

stevo!! wrote:
Nikski wrote:
"First of all, try and refrain from making comments how you imagine others are living their lives, because it makes you appear sad, desperate and foolish."
Unlike you then stevo?
Yup, I never comment on how I believe others are living their lives.
Really? So describing those supporting the strike as 'rent-a-mob' is ok then? Stevo you're not for real......
[quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nikski[/bold] wrote: "First of all, try and refrain from making comments how you imagine others are living their lives, because it makes you appear sad, desperate and foolish." Unlike you then stevo?[/p][/quote]Yup, I never comment on how I believe others are living their lives.[/p][/quote]Really? So describing those supporting the strike as 'rent-a-mob' is ok then? Stevo you're not for real...... Nikski
  • Score: 1

9:46am Thu 17 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

Nikski wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
Nikski wrote:
"First of all, try and refrain from making comments how you imagine others are living their lives, because it makes you appear sad, desperate and foolish."
Unlike you then stevo?
Yup, I never comment on how I believe others are living their lives.
Really? So describing those supporting the strike as 'rent-a-mob' is ok then? Stevo you're not for real......
Yes, it's perfectly fine to describe people whose activities are known to me as being 'rent-a-mob' because that activity is in the public domain.

HTH
[quote][p][bold]Nikski[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nikski[/bold] wrote: "First of all, try and refrain from making comments how you imagine others are living their lives, because it makes you appear sad, desperate and foolish." Unlike you then stevo?[/p][/quote]Yup, I never comment on how I believe others are living their lives.[/p][/quote]Really? So describing those supporting the strike as 'rent-a-mob' is ok then? Stevo you're not for real......[/p][/quote]Yes, it's perfectly fine to describe people whose activities are known to me as being 'rent-a-mob' because that activity is in the public domain. HTH stevo!!
  • Score: -1

1:01pm Thu 17 Jul 14

Nikski says...

stevo!! wrote:
Nikski wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
Nikski wrote:
"First of all, try and refrain from making comments how you imagine others are living their lives, because it makes you appear sad, desperate and foolish."
Unlike you then stevo?
Yup, I never comment on how I believe others are living their lives.
Really? So describing those supporting the strike as 'rent-a-mob' is ok then? Stevo you're not for real......
Yes, it's perfectly fine to describe people whose activities are known to me as being 'rent-a-mob' because that activity is in the public domain.

HTH
'That activity is in the public domain' - so what difference does that make?
You are using a derogatory term about a group of people exercising a perfectly legitimate right in public, about whom you know nothing (or do you know them all personally?) rather than an individual sitting at home. How is that any more acceptable? Where and how many people are involved is completely irrelevant....surely even you can see that!
But somehow I doubt it as you appear to make up the rules as you go along to suit your needs and support your argument at the time.
[quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nikski[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nikski[/bold] wrote: "First of all, try and refrain from making comments how you imagine others are living their lives, because it makes you appear sad, desperate and foolish." Unlike you then stevo?[/p][/quote]Yup, I never comment on how I believe others are living their lives.[/p][/quote]Really? So describing those supporting the strike as 'rent-a-mob' is ok then? Stevo you're not for real......[/p][/quote]Yes, it's perfectly fine to describe people whose activities are known to me as being 'rent-a-mob' because that activity is in the public domain. HTH[/p][/quote]'That activity is in the public domain' - so what difference does that make? You are using a derogatory term about a group of people exercising a perfectly legitimate right in public, about whom you know nothing (or do you know them all personally?) rather than an individual sitting at home. How is that any more acceptable? Where and how many people are involved is completely irrelevant....surely even you can see that! But somehow I doubt it as you appear to make up the rules as you go along to suit your needs and support your argument at the time. Nikski
  • Score: 2

4:41pm Thu 17 Jul 14

M. Foote says...

SteveO mate be careful you dont explode....my my you get worked up...look at the power mad head Trimmer...investigat
e his activities, his junkets his trips abroad, the turning of class rooms into sales rooms for Apple, this is a disgrace, research your facts instead of spouting off like a park fountain....the extra funding comes at huge cost...and certain pots of cash are best left alone for the strings that are attached to them, i.e kids with problems being left on the scrap heap, you obviously havent done your homework to use a teaching metaphor, which all of us in the campaign have.............and the public that voted in the ballot gave us an A+, now off you go, the blue touch paper has been lit, lets all enjoy the fireworks....pmsl
SteveO mate be careful you dont explode....my my you get worked up...look at the power mad head Trimmer...investigat e his activities, his junkets his trips abroad, the turning of class rooms into sales rooms for Apple, this is a disgrace, research your facts instead of spouting off like a park fountain....the extra funding comes at huge cost...and certain pots of cash are best left alone for the strings that are attached to them, i.e kids with problems being left on the scrap heap, you obviously havent done your homework to use a teaching metaphor, which all of us in the campaign have.............and the public that voted in the ballot gave us an A+, now off you go, the blue touch paper has been lit, lets all enjoy the fireworks....pmsl M. Foote
  • Score: 2

9:00pm Thu 17 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

"'That activity is in the public domain' - so what difference does that make?"

It means that I didn't invent their activity, unlike people like you, who sit there dreaming up how others are living their lives.
"'That activity is in the public domain' - so what difference does that make?" It means that I didn't invent their activity, unlike people like you, who sit there dreaming up how others are living their lives. stevo!!
  • Score: 0

9:03pm Thu 17 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

M. Foote wrote:
SteveO mate be careful you dont explode....my my you get worked up...look at the power mad head Trimmer...investigat

e his activities, his junkets his trips abroad, the turning of class rooms into sales rooms for Apple, this is a disgrace, research your facts instead of spouting off like a park fountain....the extra funding comes at huge cost...and certain pots of cash are best left alone for the strings that are attached to them, i.e kids with problems being left on the scrap heap, you obviously havent done your homework to use a teaching metaphor, which all of us in the campaign have.............and the public that voted in the ballot gave us an A+, now off you go, the blue touch paper has been lit, lets all enjoy the fireworks....pmsl
No, it wasn't 'the public' who voted and no, the campaign didn't get an A+.

The vote was 'won' by those parents who don't care how it all turns out, so you were 'beaten' by apathy.
[quote][p][bold]M. Foote[/bold] wrote: SteveO mate be careful you dont explode....my my you get worked up...look at the power mad head Trimmer...investigat e his activities, his junkets his trips abroad, the turning of class rooms into sales rooms for Apple, this is a disgrace, research your facts instead of spouting off like a park fountain....the extra funding comes at huge cost...and certain pots of cash are best left alone for the strings that are attached to them, i.e kids with problems being left on the scrap heap, you obviously havent done your homework to use a teaching metaphor, which all of us in the campaign have.............and the public that voted in the ballot gave us an A+, now off you go, the blue touch paper has been lit, lets all enjoy the fireworks....pmsl[/p][/quote]No, it wasn't 'the public' who voted and no, the campaign didn't get an A+. The vote was 'won' by those parents who don't care how it all turns out, so you were 'beaten' by apathy. stevo!!
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree