A former teen runaway was killed when she was hit by a car as she stood in the middle of a busy road with her arms outstretched.

Mother-of-three Kayleigh Quinn, pictured right, from Storrington had been drinking alone in a pub for three hours and was high on amphetamines and prescription drugs when she was knocked down and killed instantly.

Miss Quinn sparked a major police search aged 16 when she went missing with a convicted rapist.

An inquest into the 27-year-old’s death on Tuesday was told Miss Quinn was asked to leave the Red Rover pub beside the A36 in Hampshire after she became aggressive on September 24 last year.

Pub supervisor Katherine Hawkins said she was so verbally aggressive that the door was locked behind her when she left.

Ms Quinn was then seen staggering on and off the carriageway shouting: “I will walk in the road, I will do what I want.”

Golf driver Khadir Miah, of Portsmouth, said: “I saw something in front of me in a star shape. I tried to avoid it.”

The inquest in Winchester was told he would have been unable to avoid colliding with her. The court was told Miss Quinn had been diagnosed with a borderline personality disorder, but a long waiting list meant she had not started counselling.

Kayleigh sparked a major police search when she went on the run with convicted rapist Steven Barton in 2003. Police at the time believed Miss Quinn and then 23-year-old Barton had made a suicide pact and run off because her family did not approve of their relationship.

They were found 48 hours later.

Barton had been jailed for raping a 92-year-old woman near the victim’s late husband’s grave at St Mary’s Church, Storrington, and breached his bail conditions by running away with Miss Quinn after his release.

Recording a narrative verdict, coroner Grahame Short said: “I am satisfied that she was behaving in a drunken manner, going on and off the carriageway in a way that endangered not only her but other road users along that section.

“Mr Miah was confronted by Kayleigh standing in the road facing him. When he approached she must have been aware of his presence, she would have seen the lights and heard him coming towards her. She made no attempt to move out of his way.”

Following Miss Quinn’s death her parents Anthony and Michelle paid tribute to a “spirited young woman”. They said her “greatest love was for her three children”, aged seven, five and two, who “meant the whole world to her”.