Cyclist suffers facial injuries in collision

Cyclist suffers facial injuries in collision

Cyclist suffers facial injuries in collision

First published in News

A cyclist was taken to hospital after being involved in a collision with a car.

The accident happened in Kingsway, Hove, at about 8.40am yesterday.

The cyclist, a 24-year-old woman from Worthing, treated at the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton for serious face injuries and later discharged.

The driver of a blue Suzuki Swift involved in the accident was unhurt.

Witnesses are asked to call Sussex Police on 101 or email collision.appeal@sussex.pnn.police.uk, quoting serial 328 of 7/8.

Comments (7)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:22am Fri 8 Aug 14

Max Ripple says...

Another story from the Argus with virtually no facts about what happened at all? Was the cyclist using the conveniently sited cycle lane? Was the driver driving on the cycle lane? If the cyclist had been using the cycle lane this might not have happened.
Another story from the Argus with virtually no facts about what happened at all? Was the cyclist using the conveniently sited cycle lane? Was the driver driving on the cycle lane? If the cyclist had been using the cycle lane this might not have happened. Max Ripple
  • Score: -6

10:08am Fri 8 Aug 14

Luke72 says...

Max Ripple wrote:
Another story from the Argus with virtually no facts about what happened at all? Was the cyclist using the conveniently sited cycle lane? Was the driver driving on the cycle lane? If the cyclist had been using the cycle lane this might not have happened.
As you say there is no details so hard to speculate about the cycle lane. If they needed to turn up any of the roads from the Kingsway to head inland they'd to be on the road due to the design of the cycle lane and the road furniture.
[quote][p][bold]Max Ripple[/bold] wrote: Another story from the Argus with virtually no facts about what happened at all? Was the cyclist using the conveniently sited cycle lane? Was the driver driving on the cycle lane? If the cyclist had been using the cycle lane this might not have happened.[/p][/quote]As you say there is no details so hard to speculate about the cycle lane. If they needed to turn up any of the roads from the Kingsway to head inland they'd to be on the road due to the design of the cycle lane and the road furniture. Luke72
  • Score: 9

10:36am Fri 8 Aug 14

stevo!! says...

I'm pleased that The Argus informed us that the car driver was unhurt.
I'm pleased that The Argus informed us that the car driver was unhurt. stevo!!
  • Score: -56

10:54am Fri 8 Aug 14

Brightonscouse2 says...

Max Ripple wrote:
Another story from the Argus with virtually no facts about what happened at all? Was the cyclist using the conveniently sited cycle lane? Was the driver driving on the cycle lane? If the cyclist had been using the cycle lane this might not have happened.
The Kingsway goes further than the cycle lane, which stops at Hove Lagoon. It's possible that the collision took place beyond the cycle path.
[quote][p][bold]Max Ripple[/bold] wrote: Another story from the Argus with virtually no facts about what happened at all? Was the cyclist using the conveniently sited cycle lane? Was the driver driving on the cycle lane? If the cyclist had been using the cycle lane this might not have happened.[/p][/quote]The Kingsway goes further than the cycle lane, which stops at Hove Lagoon. It's possible that the collision took place beyond the cycle path. Brightonscouse2
  • Score: 12

11:24am Fri 8 Aug 14

Honda driver says...

Luke72 wrote:
Max Ripple wrote:
Another story from the Argus with virtually no facts about what happened at all? Was the cyclist using the conveniently sited cycle lane? Was the driver driving on the cycle lane? If the cyclist had been using the cycle lane this might not have happened.
As you say there is no details so hard to speculate about the cycle lane. If they needed to turn up any of the roads from the Kingsway to head inland they'd to be on the road due to the design of the cycle lane and the road furniture.
Not correct. The cycle lane on the Kingsway is two way, so if the cyclist needed to go North she could have used the crossing provided. I see many cyclist that prefer to cycle in the road rather than use the cycle lanes.
[quote][p][bold]Luke72[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Max Ripple[/bold] wrote: Another story from the Argus with virtually no facts about what happened at all? Was the cyclist using the conveniently sited cycle lane? Was the driver driving on the cycle lane? If the cyclist had been using the cycle lane this might not have happened.[/p][/quote]As you say there is no details so hard to speculate about the cycle lane. If they needed to turn up any of the roads from the Kingsway to head inland they'd to be on the road due to the design of the cycle lane and the road furniture.[/p][/quote]Not correct. The cycle lane on the Kingsway is two way, so if the cyclist needed to go North she could have used the crossing provided. I see many cyclist that prefer to cycle in the road rather than use the cycle lanes. Honda driver
  • Score: 6

11:55am Fri 8 Aug 14

Luke72 says...

Honda driver wrote:
Luke72 wrote:
Max Ripple wrote:
Another story from the Argus with virtually no facts about what happened at all? Was the cyclist using the conveniently sited cycle lane? Was the driver driving on the cycle lane? If the cyclist had been using the cycle lane this might not have happened.
As you say there is no details so hard to speculate about the cycle lane. If they needed to turn up any of the roads from the Kingsway to head inland they'd to be on the road due to the design of the cycle lane and the road furniture.
Not correct. The cycle lane on the Kingsway is two way, so if the cyclist needed to go North she could have used the crossing provided. I see many cyclist that prefer to cycle in the road rather than use the cycle lanes.
Nope I'm definitely correct. You're not allowed to cycle over pedestrian crossings so that isn't the solution. Cycle lanes aren't compulsory and if someone coming from the lagoon needed to go up Sackville Gardens they'd need to be on the road from about Carlisle Rd onwards due to the way the road is.

Without the full details of the crash there is no point in trying to speculate what happened and simply saying they should be in the cycle lane is pointless.
[quote][p][bold]Honda driver[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Luke72[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Max Ripple[/bold] wrote: Another story from the Argus with virtually no facts about what happened at all? Was the cyclist using the conveniently sited cycle lane? Was the driver driving on the cycle lane? If the cyclist had been using the cycle lane this might not have happened.[/p][/quote]As you say there is no details so hard to speculate about the cycle lane. If they needed to turn up any of the roads from the Kingsway to head inland they'd to be on the road due to the design of the cycle lane and the road furniture.[/p][/quote]Not correct. The cycle lane on the Kingsway is two way, so if the cyclist needed to go North she could have used the crossing provided. I see many cyclist that prefer to cycle in the road rather than use the cycle lanes.[/p][/quote]Nope I'm definitely correct. You're not allowed to cycle over pedestrian crossings so that isn't the solution. Cycle lanes aren't compulsory and if someone coming from the lagoon needed to go up Sackville Gardens they'd need to be on the road from about Carlisle Rd onwards due to the way the road is. Without the full details of the crash there is no point in trying to speculate what happened and simply saying they should be in the cycle lane is pointless. Luke72
  • Score: 9

2:15pm Fri 8 Aug 14

Ash Brighton says...

No facts (at the time of this post) so can't really make an informed comment...

The cycle lane in the Kingsway area is a bit weird. A two way lane does indeed run most of the way along Kingsway. However it starts and ends (depending on the direction you approach from) at Wharf Road. If you are going westbound, at Wharf Road cyclist are forced to awkwardly join the road at a busy intersection which is often used by industrial vehicles serving the harbour. It's an accident waiting to happen.

Officially the route then runs along Basin Road before having to dismount, go across the lock-gates and then rejoin the A259 but unless you had a map of the designated cycle routes or are psychic you wouldn't know because I don't think it's signposted.

Now for a whole host of assumptions...

Given the time of the incident and that the woman was from Worthing we can probably assume she was commuting into Brighton to work.

Due to the (assumed) lack of sign posting it's likely she didn't use the designated Basin Road route and instead followed the A259 eastbound. The Kingsway section between Boundary Road and Wharf Road has no lane. At the Wharf Road junction a cyclist would join the lane (if they knew it was there) but unfortunately the exact method of joining the lane smoothly is wholly impractical, dangerous and downright confusing.

A person with little local knowledge might instead carry on along Kingsway and join the lane later.

I'd speculate the incident was therefore somewhere between Boundary Road and Wharf Road, if not at the Wharf Road junction itself.

-

The entire Wharf Road junction needs a rethink because it's not suitable for modern traffic in my opinion.

Personally I rarely use the lane that far along and instead go up to the Old Shoreham Road at The Drive. Especially since I had a very near miss with coach that tried to squeeze past far too closely on the Boundary Road/ Wharf Road section going Westbound when I was cycling before. If the driver had held off 10 seconds longer they could have passed safely but as I've said in previous articles, impatience seems to be plaguing a minority of drivers, reducing road safety for everyone.

I hope that there isn't more incidents on this stretch of road.
No facts (at the time of this post) so can't really make an informed comment... The cycle lane in the Kingsway area is a bit weird. A two way lane does indeed run most of the way along Kingsway. However it starts and ends (depending on the direction you approach from) at Wharf Road. If you are going westbound, at Wharf Road cyclist are forced to awkwardly join the road at a busy intersection which is often used by industrial vehicles serving the harbour. It's an accident waiting to happen. Officially the route then runs along Basin Road before having to dismount, go across the lock-gates and then rejoin the A259 but unless you had a map of the designated cycle routes or are psychic you wouldn't know because I don't think it's signposted. Now for a whole host of assumptions... Given the time of the incident and that the woman was from Worthing we can probably assume she was commuting into Brighton to work. Due to the (assumed) lack of sign posting it's likely she didn't use the designated Basin Road route and instead followed the A259 eastbound. The Kingsway section between Boundary Road and Wharf Road has no lane. At the Wharf Road junction a cyclist would join the lane (if they knew it was there) but unfortunately the exact method of joining the lane smoothly is wholly impractical, dangerous and downright confusing. A person with little local knowledge might instead carry on along Kingsway and join the lane later. I'd speculate the incident was therefore somewhere between Boundary Road and Wharf Road, if not at the Wharf Road junction itself. - The entire Wharf Road junction needs a rethink because it's not suitable for modern traffic in my opinion. Personally I rarely use the lane that far along and instead go up to the Old Shoreham Road at The Drive. Especially since I had a very near miss with coach that tried to squeeze past far too closely on the Boundary Road/ Wharf Road section going Westbound when I was cycling before. If the driver had held off 10 seconds longer they could have passed safely but as I've said in previous articles, impatience seems to be plaguing a minority of drivers, reducing road safety for everyone. I hope that there isn't more incidents on this stretch of road. Ash Brighton
  • Score: 10

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree