SAFETY concerns over a popular motoring event have remerged – just weeks before it is due to go ahead.
Brighton Speed Trials returns to the city on September 6 after it was cancelled last year following the death of a competitor in 2012.
The event, a favourite with petrol heads and motoring enthusiasts, has been running in Brighton since 1905 and features more than 200 cars and motorbikes competing along a timed quarter mile sprint in Madeira Drive.
Brighton and Hove City Council declined an application to run the event this year but u-turned on its decision following a 12,400 name petition calling for it to be reinstated.
However, the authority has confirmed the event’s Safety Advisory Group, made up of police, fire, council, ambulance and hospital representatives, has made recommendations for the Speed Trials to appoint a safety advisor.
More specifically, East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said it has concerns Speed Trials organisers are currently yet to document they have the capability to operate a safe event.
An East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “East Sussex Fire Authority has been asked to feedback to the Safety Advisory Group on the suitability of the event safety plans.
“Having reviewed the content, the fire authority has some concerns that the documentation submitted fails to include sufficient detail to demonstrate the capability of the organisers to operate a safe event.
“That is not to say that the organisers are incapable of operating in such a fashion but instead that the documentation does not demonstrate how this will be achieved.
“It is hoped that organisers will accept the offer of the local fire safety manager expressed some weeks ago to discuss the documentation and the fire safety provision so that information, advice and guidance may be shared.”
A Brighton and Hove City Council spokesman said the situation was looking “positive”.
He said: “We’re pleased to note that the Safety Advisory Group’s recommendation that organisers appoint a safety advisor has been accepted. “So we’re confident any health and safety issues can be addressed. The Fire and Rescue Service may have some issues which need to be addressed.”
A spokeswoman from the Brighton and Hove Motor Club, which runs the event, added: “We are utilising the services of an independent fire risk assessment consultant which will produce a detailed fire safety plan to address the needs of the East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service and the Safety Advisory Group.”