A man is still fighting for his life after his neck was slashed during a fight but his condition is described as "improving". 

The 22-year-old was attacked amid a series of confrontations in Brighton during the early hours yesterday.

Police officers were “covered in blood” as they fought to save his life before he was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital.

He remained there in a critical condition yesterday night but this morning a Sussex Police spokesman said his condition was "improving".

Crime officers combed the scene in Castle Square and took away bins to check for evidence but a weapon was not found yesterday. It is unknown what weapon was used in the fight.

Chief Superintendent Nev Kemp tweeted officers were “covered in blood” as they administered emergency first aid at the scene.

The victim, who is Hungarian, was involved in one of a series of incidents in Castle Square near the Be At One Bar, police said.

The confrontation moved outside the Natwest bank at 5am and the man was attacked.

A doorman, who wished to remain anonymous, said: “A man at a bar went across the road and it all happened.”

The area was cordoned off yesterday morning and during the early part of the afternoon while forensic teams scoured the area.

Jake Halls, a web designer and photographer who witnessed the scene and sent pictures to The Argus, said: “Police seemed to be taking away bins for evidence, presumably looking for the missing weapon.

“There were half a dozen cars and vans and about a dozen police officers on the scene. There was also was a small forensics team in white body suits.”

A worker in Castle Square who did not wish to be named said the area was cordoned off from first thing in the morning and there were “police everywhere”.

Detective Inspector Lee Horner said: “We believe this man had been out for the night and got involved in a disturbance at the bottom of North Street.

“He has then suffered a serious wound to his neck, lost a lot of blood and has been taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in a life threatening condition.

“At this stage we don’t know the weapon used.”

“We believe the suspect was with a group involved in the broader disturbance and was wearing a black hoody.

“It was a busy time of night as people left bars and clubs and this happened opposite a taxi rank. We are appealing to anyone who saw the fight or was at the taxi rank at the time to talk to us.”

Call police on 101 or email 101@sussex.pnn.police.uk quoting serial 332 of 10/8.