Smartly dressed people could hold vital clues over Brighton city centre attack

Police at the crime scene

Police at the crime scene

First published in News
Last updated

Two smartly dressed people could hold vital footage of a man who is suspected of carrying out a violent attack in Brighton.

A 22-year-old man was left fighting for his life after he was assaulted in Castle Square shortly before 5am on Sunday.

The suspect is a black man aged 22 to 26 who was wearing a dark hooded top and jeans at the time.

Police said he ran off through Pavilion Gardens and then was seen shortly afterwards getting into a Brighton and Hove green and white taxi and heading towards Worthing.

Officers say they have now learned that at some stage between 4am and 5am that morning the suspect was sat watching and listening to a man busking with a guitar in East Street.

The busker was performing songs requested by passers-by and was visited by two smartly dressed men who watched him play and recorded it on their mobile phones, as the suspect sat alongside the guitarist.

Police are very keen to speak to those two men and to watch the footage they recorded.

One was of mixed race, 25 to 30 and muscular. He was wearing a polo shirt.

The second was white and 25 to 35. He was wearing a blue polo shirt, possibly by Ralph Lauren.

Detective Constable Ed Downes of Sussex Police said: "Thanks to the public appeal through the media, we have traced both the man with the guitar and the taxi driver who we were looking for.

"The two people watching the busker could also be key witnesses and we are keen to speak to them as soon as possible. If you know who they are or where they could, please contact us."

Anyone who was in Castle Square next to the NatWest bank when the attack happened and who saw the incident or what happened in the minutes before or after it is asked to call Sussex Police.

They should email 101@sussex.pnn.police.uk quoting Operation Bunker, call 101 or contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:08pm Fri 15 Aug 14

NickBrt says...

Smartly dressed people? Don't bother quizzing green councillors then.
Smartly dressed people? Don't bother quizzing green councillors then. NickBrt
  • Score: 1

3:17pm Fri 15 Aug 14

notslimjim says...

At least the taxi driver came forward.

I suppose it was two much to hope that the suspect asked to be taken to his home address in Worthing.
At least the taxi driver came forward. I suppose it was two much to hope that the suspect asked to be taken to his home address in Worthing. notslimjim
  • Score: -6

4:23pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Wide Bertha says...

Taxi driver may hold key to attack
Guitarist may hold key to attack
Smartly dressed people may hold key to attack.....

Note to Sussex police : Must try harder.
Taxi driver may hold key to attack Guitarist may hold key to attack Smartly dressed people may hold key to attack..... Note to Sussex police : Must try harder. Wide Bertha
  • Score: -12

4:32pm Fri 15 Aug 14

notslimjim says...

Wide Bertha wrote:
Taxi driver may hold key to attack
Guitarist may hold key to attack
Smartly dressed people may hold key to attack.....

Note to Sussex police : Must try harder.
The taxi driver has been located and will have given all the information he has.

He wasn't a witness, and there is nothing to suggest he knew of the attack.
[quote][p][bold]Wide Bertha[/bold] wrote: Taxi driver may hold key to attack Guitarist may hold key to attack Smartly dressed people may hold key to attack..... Note to Sussex police : Must try harder.[/p][/quote]The taxi driver has been located and will have given all the information he has. He wasn't a witness, and there is nothing to suggest he knew of the attack. notslimjim
  • Score: -1

7:02pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Nikski says...

Wide Bertha wrote:
Taxi driver may hold key to attack
Guitarist may hold key to attack
Smartly dressed people may hold key to attack.....

Note to Sussex police : Must try harder.
It's obviously a smartly dressed taxi driver who had a guitar on the back seat.
[quote][p][bold]Wide Bertha[/bold] wrote: Taxi driver may hold key to attack Guitarist may hold key to attack Smartly dressed people may hold key to attack..... Note to Sussex police : Must try harder.[/p][/quote]It's obviously a smartly dressed taxi driver who had a guitar on the back seat. Nikski
  • Score: 7

7:05pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Nikski says...

notslimjim wrote:
Wide Bertha wrote:
Taxi driver may hold key to attack
Guitarist may hold key to attack
Smartly dressed people may hold key to attack.....

Note to Sussex police : Must try harder.
The taxi driver has been located and will have given all the information he has.

He wasn't a witness, and there is nothing to suggest he knew of the attack.
No Sherlock but it's possible the taxi driver might remember a black man wearing a dark hooded top in that age range who he took to Worthing.....
[quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Wide Bertha[/bold] wrote: Taxi driver may hold key to attack Guitarist may hold key to attack Smartly dressed people may hold key to attack..... Note to Sussex police : Must try harder.[/p][/quote]The taxi driver has been located and will have given all the information he has. He wasn't a witness, and there is nothing to suggest he knew of the attack.[/p][/quote]No Sherlock but it's possible the taxi driver might remember a black man wearing a dark hooded top in that age range who he took to Worthing..... Nikski
  • Score: 4

7:11pm Fri 15 Aug 14

notslimjim says...

Nikski wrote:
notslimjim wrote:
Wide Bertha wrote:
Taxi driver may hold key to attack
Guitarist may hold key to attack
Smartly dressed people may hold key to attack.....

Note to Sussex police : Must try harder.
The taxi driver has been located and will have given all the information he has.

He wasn't a witness, and there is nothing to suggest he knew of the attack.
No Sherlock but it's possible the taxi driver might remember a black man wearing a dark hooded top in that age range who he took to Worthing.....
Do you reckon\?

Is that why the police went to such great lengths to get him to come forward\?

Now why didn't I think of that?
[quote][p][bold]Nikski[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Wide Bertha[/bold] wrote: Taxi driver may hold key to attack Guitarist may hold key to attack Smartly dressed people may hold key to attack..... Note to Sussex police : Must try harder.[/p][/quote]The taxi driver has been located and will have given all the information he has. He wasn't a witness, and there is nothing to suggest he knew of the attack.[/p][/quote]No Sherlock but it's possible the taxi driver might remember a black man wearing a dark hooded top in that age range who he took to Worthing.....[/p][/quote]Do you reckon\? Is that why the police went to such great lengths to get him to come forward\? Now why didn't I think of that? notslimjim
  • Score: -1

7:12pm Fri 15 Aug 14

notslimjim says...

Nikski wrote:
Wide Bertha wrote:
Taxi driver may hold key to attack
Guitarist may hold key to attack
Smartly dressed people may hold key to attack.....

Note to Sussex police : Must try harder.
It's obviously a smartly dressed taxi driver who had a guitar on the back seat.
But they were too different people.

The guitarist was a white bloke, the taxi driver was darker skinned.
[quote][p][bold]Nikski[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Wide Bertha[/bold] wrote: Taxi driver may hold key to attack Guitarist may hold key to attack Smartly dressed people may hold key to attack..... Note to Sussex police : Must try harder.[/p][/quote]It's obviously a smartly dressed taxi driver who had a guitar on the back seat.[/p][/quote]But they were too different people. The guitarist was a white bloke, the taxi driver was darker skinned. notslimjim
  • Score: -3

7:40pm Fri 15 Aug 14

melee says...

Are polo shirts considered to be headline-worthy, 'smart dress' nowadays? I've nothing against them, they look nice enough, but I was expecting them to say a suit and tie at least.
I do hope the men come forward and help catch this person though.
Are polo shirts considered to be headline-worthy, 'smart dress' nowadays? I've nothing against them, they look nice enough, but I was expecting them to say a suit and tie at least. I do hope the men come forward and help catch this person though. melee
  • Score: 0

7:40pm Fri 15 Aug 14

firemanste says...

thank god some people who comment are not detectives in the police force.
thank god some people who comment are not detectives in the police force. firemanste
  • Score: 9

9:13pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Nikski says...

notslimjim wrote:
Nikski wrote:
notslimjim wrote:
Wide Bertha wrote:
Taxi driver may hold key to attack
Guitarist may hold key to attack
Smartly dressed people may hold key to attack.....

Note to Sussex police : Must try harder.
The taxi driver has been located and will have given all the information he has.

He wasn't a witness, and there is nothing to suggest he knew of the attack.
No Sherlock but it's possible the taxi driver might remember a black man wearing a dark hooded top in that age range who he took to Worthing.....
Do you reckon\?

Is that why the police went to such great lengths to get him to come forward\?

Now why didn't I think of that?
Probably because you're not that clever stevo!!.
A lot less clever than you think you are, which is a lot more clever than most people think you are...
[quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nikski[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Wide Bertha[/bold] wrote: Taxi driver may hold key to attack Guitarist may hold key to attack Smartly dressed people may hold key to attack..... Note to Sussex police : Must try harder.[/p][/quote]The taxi driver has been located and will have given all the information he has. He wasn't a witness, and there is nothing to suggest he knew of the attack.[/p][/quote]No Sherlock but it's possible the taxi driver might remember a black man wearing a dark hooded top in that age range who he took to Worthing.....[/p][/quote]Do you reckon\? Is that why the police went to such great lengths to get him to come forward\? Now why didn't I think of that?[/p][/quote]Probably because you're not that clever stevo!!. A lot less clever than you think you are, which is a lot more clever than most people think you are... Nikski
  • Score: 3

11:45pm Fri 15 Aug 14

notslimjim says...

Nikski wrote:
notslimjim wrote:
Nikski wrote:
notslimjim wrote:
Wide Bertha wrote:
Taxi driver may hold key to attack
Guitarist may hold key to attack
Smartly dressed people may hold key to attack.....

Note to Sussex police : Must try harder.
The taxi driver has been located and will have given all the information he has.

He wasn't a witness, and there is nothing to suggest he knew of the attack.
No Sherlock but it's possible the taxi driver might remember a black man wearing a dark hooded top in that age range who he took to Worthing.....
Do you reckon\?

Is that why the police went to such great lengths to get him to come forward\?

Now why didn't I think of that?
Probably because you're not that clever stevo!!.
A lot less clever than you think you are, which is a lot more clever than most people think you are...
I was being sarcastic, but that was plainly beyond you.
[quote][p][bold]Nikski[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nikski[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Wide Bertha[/bold] wrote: Taxi driver may hold key to attack Guitarist may hold key to attack Smartly dressed people may hold key to attack..... Note to Sussex police : Must try harder.[/p][/quote]The taxi driver has been located and will have given all the information he has. He wasn't a witness, and there is nothing to suggest he knew of the attack.[/p][/quote]No Sherlock but it's possible the taxi driver might remember a black man wearing a dark hooded top in that age range who he took to Worthing.....[/p][/quote]Do you reckon\? Is that why the police went to such great lengths to get him to come forward\? Now why didn't I think of that?[/p][/quote]Probably because you're not that clever stevo!!. A lot less clever than you think you are, which is a lot more clever than most people think you are...[/p][/quote]I was being sarcastic, but that was plainly beyond you. notslimjim
  • Score: -1

5:38am Sat 16 Aug 14

Dr Martin says...

notslimjim would you like to make a point or two on this story

http://www.theargus.
co.uk/news/11411350.
___Use_cannabis_as_a
_medicine_____says_M
P/
notslimjim would you like to make a point or two on this story http://www.theargus. co.uk/news/11411350. ___Use_cannabis_as_a _medicine_____says_M P/ Dr Martin
  • Score: 0

9:09am Sat 16 Aug 14

Ambo Guy says...

notslimjim = Stevo!!

Shhhh don't tell anyone!!
notslimjim = Stevo!! Shhhh don't tell anyone!! Ambo Guy
  • Score: 10

10:26am Sat 16 Aug 14

notslimjim says...

melee wrote:
Are polo shirts considered to be headline-worthy, 'smart dress' nowadays? I've nothing against them, they look nice enough, but I was expecting them to say a suit and tie at least.
I do hope the men come forward and help catch this person though.
Considering that the guitarist was dressed in a hoody, he was probably comparing them with his own attire.
[quote][p][bold]melee[/bold] wrote: Are polo shirts considered to be headline-worthy, 'smart dress' nowadays? I've nothing against them, they look nice enough, but I was expecting them to say a suit and tie at least. I do hope the men come forward and help catch this person though.[/p][/quote]Considering that the guitarist was dressed in a hoody, he was probably comparing them with his own attire. notslimjim
  • Score: -1

1:41pm Sat 16 Aug 14

hubby says...

Ambo Guy wrote:
notslimjim = Stevo!!

Shhhh don't tell anyone!!
Why?......and ........Why?
[quote][p][bold]Ambo Guy[/bold] wrote: notslimjim = Stevo!! Shhhh don't tell anyone!![/p][/quote]Why?......and ........Why? hubby
  • Score: -1

3:26pm Sat 16 Aug 14

notslimjim says...

hubby wrote:
Ambo Guy wrote:
notslimjim = Stevo!!

Shhhh don't tell anyone!!
Why?......and ........Why?
I was wondering that, but I don't really care.

Discuss the topic.
[quote][p][bold]hubby[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ambo Guy[/bold] wrote: notslimjim = Stevo!! Shhhh don't tell anyone!![/p][/quote]Why?......and ........Why?[/p][/quote]I was wondering that, but I don't really care. Discuss the topic. notslimjim
  • Score: 0

3:41pm Sat 16 Aug 14

NickBrt says...

I suppose it depends who made the polo shirts. If lacoste that's smnart. If primark then it's tatt. Hope that helps.
I suppose it depends who made the polo shirts. If lacoste that's smnart. If primark then it's tatt. Hope that helps. NickBrt
  • Score: 0

9:24am Mon 18 Aug 14

notslimjim says...

I see the Argus is trying to paint the two PCs as heroes, for some reason.

They were simply doing their job.
I see the Argus is trying to paint the two PCs as heroes, for some reason. They were simply doing their job. notslimjim
  • Score: -574

5:28pm Wed 20 Aug 14

notslimjim says...

notslimjim wrote:
I see the Argus is trying to paint the two PCs as heroes, for some reason.

They were simply doing their job.
Minus 574?

I didn't know the Argus was read by so many police officers.
[quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: I see the Argus is trying to paint the two PCs as heroes, for some reason. They were simply doing their job.[/p][/quote]Minus 574? I didn't know the Argus was read by so many police officers. notslimjim
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree