Two wards closed at the Royal Sussex County Hospite due to norovirus reopened

Three wards at the Royal Sussex County Hospital were closed due to the norovirus outbreak.

Three wards at the Royal Sussex County Hospital were closed due to the norovirus outbreak.

First published in News by , Reporter

HOSPITAL wards that were closed last week after an outbreak of norovirus have now reopened.

Three wards at the Royal Sussex County Hospital, in Brighton, closed to new arrivals after patients were struck down with diarrhoea and vomiting.

The hospital is still urging people with the symptoms of norovirus to stay away.

A warning for anyone who has had symptoms of the bug in the last 48 hours were on the hospital’s website and a recorded message was also included on its phone-lines.

The virus typically breaks out during the winter and the latest infection was the first since January.

A spokesman from the Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust confirmed all the closed wards have now reopened after the routine closure period.

Wards are kept under observation and closed to new admissions when an outbreak is detected. When the areas are believed to be clear of norovirus they are deep-cleaned before they are reopened.

Last Wednesday the hospital's Acute Medical Unit (AMU), where patients are assessed, was closed to new admissions when there was an outbreak.

The short-stay Chichester ward and the Vallance ward that specialises in elderly care, which are both in the Barry Building, were then closed after patients from the AMU were moved to those wards.

The AMU was opened on Friday and the Vallance and Chichester ward were reopened over the weekend.

Between April 2012 and April last year, hospitals run by the trust dealt with 37 outbreaks of the highly-infectious virus.

A total of 341 patients staying at sites run by the trust had fallen ill with suspected norovirus and another 78 members of staff also caught the virus over the same period.

Comments (10)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:20am Tue 19 Aug 14

notslimjim says...

Just in time for the autumn vomiting bug.
Just in time for the autumn vomiting bug. notslimjim
  • Score: -7

4:47am Tue 19 Aug 14

Tr1stan says...

The majority of NHS staff do a wonderful job at looking after sick patients. It's up to all individuals to ensure good levels of hygiene both at home and in public spaces. You are lucky you have free health care. Not all countries have this luxury.
The majority of NHS staff do a wonderful job at looking after sick patients. It's up to all individuals to ensure good levels of hygiene both at home and in public spaces. You are lucky you have free health care. Not all countries have this luxury. Tr1stan
  • Score: 5

10:24am Tue 19 Aug 14

notslimjim says...

Tr1stan wrote:
The majority of NHS staff do a wonderful job at looking after sick patients. It's up to all individuals to ensure good levels of hygiene both at home and in public spaces. You are lucky you have free health care. Not all countries have this luxury.
Remind me of the death rates within the NHS for the past four years.
[quote][p][bold]Tr1stan[/bold] wrote: The majority of NHS staff do a wonderful job at looking after sick patients. It's up to all individuals to ensure good levels of hygiene both at home and in public spaces. You are lucky you have free health care. Not all countries have this luxury.[/p][/quote]Remind me of the death rates within the NHS for the past four years. notslimjim
  • Score: -10

10:42am Tue 19 Aug 14

Tr1stan says...

notslimjim wrote:
Tr1stan wrote:
The majority of NHS staff do a wonderful job at looking after sick patients. It's up to all individuals to ensure good levels of hygiene both at home and in public spaces. You are lucky you have free health care. Not all countries have this luxury.
Remind me of the death rates within the NHS for the past four years.
Don't know. Don't care. They do more good than bad. If you don't like free treatment, go private.
[quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tr1stan[/bold] wrote: The majority of NHS staff do a wonderful job at looking after sick patients. It's up to all individuals to ensure good levels of hygiene both at home and in public spaces. You are lucky you have free health care. Not all countries have this luxury.[/p][/quote]Remind me of the death rates within the NHS for the past four years.[/p][/quote]Don't know. Don't care. They do more good than bad. If you don't like free treatment, go private. Tr1stan
  • Score: 3

10:59am Tue 19 Aug 14

notslimjim says...

Tr1stan wrote:
notslimjim wrote:
Tr1stan wrote:
The majority of NHS staff do a wonderful job at looking after sick patients. It's up to all individuals to ensure good levels of hygiene both at home and in public spaces. You are lucky you have free health care. Not all countries have this luxury.
Remind me of the death rates within the NHS for the past four years.
Don't know. Don't care. They do more good than bad. If you don't like free treatment, go private.
So you avoid awkward facts that show that the NHS isn't quite as wonderful as you claim.

Sadly, many people have to live with the consequences of its many failings.
[quote][p][bold]Tr1stan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tr1stan[/bold] wrote: The majority of NHS staff do a wonderful job at looking after sick patients. It's up to all individuals to ensure good levels of hygiene both at home and in public spaces. You are lucky you have free health care. Not all countries have this luxury.[/p][/quote]Remind me of the death rates within the NHS for the past four years.[/p][/quote]Don't know. Don't care. They do more good than bad. If you don't like free treatment, go private.[/p][/quote]So you avoid awkward facts that show that the NHS isn't quite as wonderful as you claim. Sadly, many people have to live with the consequences of its many failings. notslimjim
  • Score: -4

11:07am Tue 19 Aug 14

Tr1stan says...

notslimjim wrote:
Tr1stan wrote:
notslimjim wrote:
Tr1stan wrote:
The majority of NHS staff do a wonderful job at looking after sick patients. It's up to all individuals to ensure good levels of hygiene both at home and in public spaces. You are lucky you have free health care. Not all countries have this luxury.
Remind me of the death rates within the NHS for the past four years.
Don't know. Don't care. They do more good than bad. If you don't like free treatment, go private.
So you avoid awkward facts that show that the NHS isn't quite as wonderful as you claim.

Sadly, many people have to live with the consequences of its many failings.
And many live with the good it has done. I don't know statistics. I only know many people who would not be alive if it weren't for the NHS. That's all I mean.
[quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tr1stan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tr1stan[/bold] wrote: The majority of NHS staff do a wonderful job at looking after sick patients. It's up to all individuals to ensure good levels of hygiene both at home and in public spaces. You are lucky you have free health care. Not all countries have this luxury.[/p][/quote]Remind me of the death rates within the NHS for the past four years.[/p][/quote]Don't know. Don't care. They do more good than bad. If you don't like free treatment, go private.[/p][/quote]So you avoid awkward facts that show that the NHS isn't quite as wonderful as you claim. Sadly, many people have to live with the consequences of its many failings.[/p][/quote]And many live with the good it has done. I don't know statistics. I only know many people who would not be alive if it weren't for the NHS. That's all I mean. Tr1stan
  • Score: 5

11:25am Tue 19 Aug 14

notslimjim says...

Tr1stan wrote:
notslimjim wrote:
Tr1stan wrote:
notslimjim wrote:
Tr1stan wrote:
The majority of NHS staff do a wonderful job at looking after sick patients. It's up to all individuals to ensure good levels of hygiene both at home and in public spaces. You are lucky you have free health care. Not all countries have this luxury.
Remind me of the death rates within the NHS for the past four years.
Don't know. Don't care. They do more good than bad. If you don't like free treatment, go private.
So you avoid awkward facts that show that the NHS isn't quite as wonderful as you claim.

Sadly, many people have to live with the consequences of its many failings.
And many live with the good it has done. I don't know statistics. I only know many people who would not be alive if it weren't for the NHS. That's all I mean.
As I said, you are free to avoid the many failures.

Some aren't that lucky.
[quote][p][bold]Tr1stan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tr1stan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tr1stan[/bold] wrote: The majority of NHS staff do a wonderful job at looking after sick patients. It's up to all individuals to ensure good levels of hygiene both at home and in public spaces. You are lucky you have free health care. Not all countries have this luxury.[/p][/quote]Remind me of the death rates within the NHS for the past four years.[/p][/quote]Don't know. Don't care. They do more good than bad. If you don't like free treatment, go private.[/p][/quote]So you avoid awkward facts that show that the NHS isn't quite as wonderful as you claim. Sadly, many people have to live with the consequences of its many failings.[/p][/quote]And many live with the good it has done. I don't know statistics. I only know many people who would not be alive if it weren't for the NHS. That's all I mean.[/p][/quote]As I said, you are free to avoid the many failures. Some aren't that lucky. notslimjim
  • Score: -2

11:36am Tue 19 Aug 14

Tr1stan says...

notslimjim wrote:
Tr1stan wrote:
notslimjim wrote:
Tr1stan wrote:
notslimjim wrote:
Tr1stan wrote:
The majority of NHS staff do a wonderful job at looking after sick patients. It's up to all individuals to ensure good levels of hygiene both at home and in public spaces. You are lucky you have free health care. Not all countries have this luxury.
Remind me of the death rates within the NHS for the past four years.
Don't know. Don't care. They do more good than bad. If you don't like free treatment, go private.
So you avoid awkward facts that show that the NHS isn't quite as wonderful as you claim.

Sadly, many people have to live with the consequences of its many failings.
And many live with the good it has done. I don't know statistics. I only know many people who would not be alive if it weren't for the NHS. That's all I mean.
As I said, you are free to avoid the many failures.

Some aren't that lucky.
I agree there are many failures. Things can be and should be improved. I'm just saying a lot of staff work hard to keep people alive/well. I guess I feel strongly because I have been lucky enough to see first hand how wonderful the NHS can be. Some families aren't that lucky and I acknowledge that.
[quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tr1stan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tr1stan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tr1stan[/bold] wrote: The majority of NHS staff do a wonderful job at looking after sick patients. It's up to all individuals to ensure good levels of hygiene both at home and in public spaces. You are lucky you have free health care. Not all countries have this luxury.[/p][/quote]Remind me of the death rates within the NHS for the past four years.[/p][/quote]Don't know. Don't care. They do more good than bad. If you don't like free treatment, go private.[/p][/quote]So you avoid awkward facts that show that the NHS isn't quite as wonderful as you claim. Sadly, many people have to live with the consequences of its many failings.[/p][/quote]And many live with the good it has done. I don't know statistics. I only know many people who would not be alive if it weren't for the NHS. That's all I mean.[/p][/quote]As I said, you are free to avoid the many failures. Some aren't that lucky.[/p][/quote]I agree there are many failures. Things can be and should be improved. I'm just saying a lot of staff work hard to keep people alive/well. I guess I feel strongly because I have been lucky enough to see first hand how wonderful the NHS can be. Some families aren't that lucky and I acknowledge that. Tr1stan
  • Score: 4

11:55am Tue 19 Aug 14

notslimjim says...

Tr1stan wrote:
notslimjim wrote:
Tr1stan wrote:
notslimjim wrote:
Tr1stan wrote:
notslimjim wrote:
Tr1stan wrote:
The majority of NHS staff do a wonderful job at looking after sick patients. It's up to all individuals to ensure good levels of hygiene both at home and in public spaces. You are lucky you have free health care. Not all countries have this luxury.
Remind me of the death rates within the NHS for the past four years.
Don't know. Don't care. They do more good than bad. If you don't like free treatment, go private.
So you avoid awkward facts that show that the NHS isn't quite as wonderful as you claim.

Sadly, many people have to live with the consequences of its many failings.
And many live with the good it has done. I don't know statistics. I only know many people who would not be alive if it weren't for the NHS. That's all I mean.
As I said, you are free to avoid the many failures.

Some aren't that lucky.
I agree there are many failures. Things can be and should be improved. I'm just saying a lot of staff work hard to keep people alive/well. I guess I feel strongly because I have been lucky enough to see first hand how wonderful the NHS can be. Some families aren't that lucky and I acknowledge that.
Fair comment.
[quote][p][bold]Tr1stan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tr1stan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tr1stan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tr1stan[/bold] wrote: The majority of NHS staff do a wonderful job at looking after sick patients. It's up to all individuals to ensure good levels of hygiene both at home and in public spaces. You are lucky you have free health care. Not all countries have this luxury.[/p][/quote]Remind me of the death rates within the NHS for the past four years.[/p][/quote]Don't know. Don't care. They do more good than bad. If you don't like free treatment, go private.[/p][/quote]So you avoid awkward facts that show that the NHS isn't quite as wonderful as you claim. Sadly, many people have to live with the consequences of its many failings.[/p][/quote]And many live with the good it has done. I don't know statistics. I only know many people who would not be alive if it weren't for the NHS. That's all I mean.[/p][/quote]As I said, you are free to avoid the many failures. Some aren't that lucky.[/p][/quote]I agree there are many failures. Things can be and should be improved. I'm just saying a lot of staff work hard to keep people alive/well. I guess I feel strongly because I have been lucky enough to see first hand how wonderful the NHS can be. Some families aren't that lucky and I acknowledge that.[/p][/quote]Fair comment. notslimjim
  • Score: -5

12:03pm Tue 19 Aug 14

Tr1stan says...

notslimjim wrote:
Tr1stan wrote:
notslimjim wrote:
Tr1stan wrote:
notslimjim wrote:
Tr1stan wrote:
notslimjim wrote:
Tr1stan wrote:
The majority of NHS staff do a wonderful job at looking after sick patients. It's up to all individuals to ensure good levels of hygiene both at home and in public spaces. You are lucky you have free health care. Not all countries have this luxury.
Remind me of the death rates within the NHS for the past four years.
Don't know. Don't care. They do more good than bad. If you don't like free treatment, go private.
So you avoid awkward facts that show that the NHS isn't quite as wonderful as you claim.

Sadly, many people have to live with the consequences of its many failings.
And many live with the good it has done. I don't know statistics. I only know many people who would not be alive if it weren't for the NHS. That's all I mean.
As I said, you are free to avoid the many failures.

Some aren't that lucky.
I agree there are many failures. Things can be and should be improved. I'm just saying a lot of staff work hard to keep people alive/well. I guess I feel strongly because I have been lucky enough to see first hand how wonderful the NHS can be. Some families aren't that lucky and I acknowledge that.
Fair comment.
:-)
[quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tr1stan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tr1stan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tr1stan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tr1stan[/bold] wrote: The majority of NHS staff do a wonderful job at looking after sick patients. It's up to all individuals to ensure good levels of hygiene both at home and in public spaces. You are lucky you have free health care. Not all countries have this luxury.[/p][/quote]Remind me of the death rates within the NHS for the past four years.[/p][/quote]Don't know. Don't care. They do more good than bad. If you don't like free treatment, go private.[/p][/quote]So you avoid awkward facts that show that the NHS isn't quite as wonderful as you claim. Sadly, many people have to live with the consequences of its many failings.[/p][/quote]And many live with the good it has done. I don't know statistics. I only know many people who would not be alive if it weren't for the NHS. That's all I mean.[/p][/quote]As I said, you are free to avoid the many failures. Some aren't that lucky.[/p][/quote]I agree there are many failures. Things can be and should be improved. I'm just saying a lot of staff work hard to keep people alive/well. I guess I feel strongly because I have been lucky enough to see first hand how wonderful the NHS can be. Some families aren't that lucky and I acknowledge that.[/p][/quote]Fair comment.[/p][/quote]:-) Tr1stan
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree