Jobs created by foreign firms

Jobs created by foreign firms

Jobs created by foreign firms

First published in News

Hundreds of jobs were created in the region through investment by foreign-owned companies during the last year.

A report by the Government's UK Trade and Investment agency found 28 projects by overseas companies were started in the region during 2013/14, which created 387 new jobs and safeguarded a further 1,040 positions.

The investments from across the globe have helped the UK achieve the highest number of inward investment projects since records began in the 1980s.

Coast to Capital Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP), which represents West Sussex, Brighton and Hove, Lewes and the Gatwick Diamond, said projects were spread across software and computer services, biotechnology and pharmaceuticals plus mechanical electrical and process engineering.

Ron Crank, Coast to Capital chief executive, said: “These results are a testament to the hard work we and our partners have been doing with UKTI to promote the region as an investment destination.

“It also shows that our strategy to attract investment in the region by creating one of the most business-friendly environments in the UK is the right one.”

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:18pm Tue 26 Aug 14

thevoiceoftruth says...

I'm not sure you would stand a hope in hell, Stevo/Jim. That CSE grade 5 you got in home economics does not qualify you to do a biotech job, even if you are British. Qualifications and experience are the things that count when recruiting for jobs. I'm guessing you don't have much of either, hence unemployable.
I'm not sure you would stand a hope in hell, Stevo/Jim. That CSE grade 5 you got in home economics does not qualify you to do a biotech job, even if you are British. Qualifications and experience are the things that count when recruiting for jobs. I'm guessing you don't have much of either, hence unemployable. thevoiceoftruth
  • Score: 56

1:50pm Tue 26 Aug 14

notslimjim says...

thevoiceoftruth wrote:
I'm not sure you would stand a hope in hell, Stevo/Jim. That CSE grade 5 you got in home economics does not qualify you to do a biotech job, even if you are British. Qualifications and experience are the things that count when recruiting for jobs. I'm guessing you don't have much of either, hence unemployable.
Unable to decide who you're talking to, even though you claim to know their educational qualifications?

Run along to Nurse and ensure she gives you the correct meds this time.
[quote][p][bold]thevoiceoftruth[/bold] wrote: I'm not sure you would stand a hope in hell, Stevo/Jim. That CSE grade 5 you got in home economics does not qualify you to do a biotech job, even if you are British. Qualifications and experience are the things that count when recruiting for jobs. I'm guessing you don't have much of either, hence unemployable.[/p][/quote]Unable to decide who you're talking to, even though you claim to know their educational qualifications? Run along to Nurse and ensure she gives you the correct meds this time. notslimjim
  • Score: -30

2:12pm Tue 26 Aug 14

notslimjim says...

I see that the Argus doesn't like discussing how many non-Britons are being given our jobs.
I see that the Argus doesn't like discussing how many non-Britons are being given our jobs. notslimjim
  • Score: -42

2:29pm Tue 26 Aug 14

thevoiceoftruth says...

notslimjim wrote:
I see that the Argus doesn't like discussing how many non-Britons are being given our jobs.
"Our jobs" - hilarious! Tell us about your qualifications in engineeering and chemistry. I'm sure were you to have any, you would not be posting on the Argus every day of the week including bank holidays! Do feel free to apply for any of the jobs available at the above firms. They may need a cleaner.
[quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: I see that the Argus doesn't like discussing how many non-Britons are being given our jobs.[/p][/quote]"Our jobs" - hilarious! Tell us about your qualifications in engineeering and chemistry. I'm sure were you to have any, you would not be posting on the Argus every day of the week including bank holidays! Do feel free to apply for any of the jobs available at the above firms. They may need a cleaner. thevoiceoftruth
  • Score: 29

2:57pm Tue 26 Aug 14

notslimjim says...

thevoiceoftruth wrote:
notslimjim wrote:
I see that the Argus doesn't like discussing how many non-Britons are being given our jobs.
"Our jobs" - hilarious! Tell us about your qualifications in engineeering and chemistry. I'm sure were you to have any, you would not be posting on the Argus every day of the week including bank holidays! Do feel free to apply for any of the jobs available at the above firms. They may need a cleaner.
Was Nurse unavailable?
[quote][p][bold]thevoiceoftruth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: I see that the Argus doesn't like discussing how many non-Britons are being given our jobs.[/p][/quote]"Our jobs" - hilarious! Tell us about your qualifications in engineeering and chemistry. I'm sure were you to have any, you would not be posting on the Argus every day of the week including bank holidays! Do feel free to apply for any of the jobs available at the above firms. They may need a cleaner.[/p][/quote]Was Nurse unavailable? notslimjim
  • Score: -33

4:39pm Tue 26 Aug 14

ok,jared says...

notslimjim wrote:
I see that the Argus doesn't like discussing how many non-Britons are being given our jobs.
Government figures suggest that 75% of those jobs will be to those born abroad.
[quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: I see that the Argus doesn't like discussing how many non-Britons are being given our jobs.[/p][/quote]Government figures suggest that 75% of those jobs will be to those born abroad. ok,jared
  • Score: -31

4:55pm Tue 26 Aug 14

thevoiceoftruth says...

ok,jared wrote:
notslimjim wrote:
I see that the Argus doesn't like discussing how many non-Britons are being given our jobs.
Government figures suggest that 75% of those jobs will be to those born abroad.
Show a link to your source evidencing this, or I will just assume you are another sockpuppet account created by fat Jim.
[quote][p][bold]ok,jared[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: I see that the Argus doesn't like discussing how many non-Britons are being given our jobs.[/p][/quote]Government figures suggest that 75% of those jobs will be to those born abroad.[/p][/quote]Show a link to your source evidencing this, or I will just assume you are another sockpuppet account created by fat Jim. thevoiceoftruth
  • Score: 23

5:03pm Tue 26 Aug 14

thevoiceoftruth says...

notslimjim wrote:
thevoiceoftruth wrote:
notslimjim wrote:
I see that the Argus doesn't like discussing how many non-Britons are being given our jobs.
"Our jobs" - hilarious! Tell us about your qualifications in engineeering and chemistry. I'm sure were you to have any, you would not be posting on the Argus every day of the week including bank holidays! Do feel free to apply for any of the jobs available at the above firms. They may need a cleaner.
Was Nurse unavailable?
Thank you for your application, but I'm afraid you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
[quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thevoiceoftruth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: I see that the Argus doesn't like discussing how many non-Britons are being given our jobs.[/p][/quote]"Our jobs" - hilarious! Tell us about your qualifications in engineeering and chemistry. I'm sure were you to have any, you would not be posting on the Argus every day of the week including bank holidays! Do feel free to apply for any of the jobs available at the above firms. They may need a cleaner.[/p][/quote]Was Nurse unavailable?[/p][/quote]Thank you for your application, but I'm afraid you have been unsuccessful on this occasion. thevoiceoftruth
  • Score: 25

5:13pm Tue 26 Aug 14

ok,jared says...

thevoiceoftruth wrote:
ok,jared wrote:
notslimjim wrote:
I see that the Argus doesn't like discussing how many non-Britons are being given our jobs.
Government figures suggest that 75% of those jobs will be to those born abroad.
Show a link to your source evidencing this, or I will just assume you are another sockpuppet account created by fat Jim.
Actually, the figure is 80%

http://www.telegraph
.co.uk/journalists/c
hristopher-hope/7939
138/Record-four-out-
of-five-jobs-going-t
o-foreigners-between
-May-and-June.html

My pleasure!
[quote][p][bold]thevoiceoftruth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ok,jared[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: I see that the Argus doesn't like discussing how many non-Britons are being given our jobs.[/p][/quote]Government figures suggest that 75% of those jobs will be to those born abroad.[/p][/quote]Show a link to your source evidencing this, or I will just assume you are another sockpuppet account created by fat Jim.[/p][/quote]Actually, the figure is 80% http://www.telegraph .co.uk/journalists/c hristopher-hope/7939 138/Record-four-out- of-five-jobs-going-t o-foreigners-between -May-and-June.html My pleasure! ok,jared
  • Score: -21

5:26pm Tue 26 Aug 14

ok,jared says...

"Coast to Capital Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP), which represents West Sussex, Brighton and Hove, Lewes and the Gatwick Diamond, said projects were spread across software and computer services, biotechnology and pharmaceuticals plus mechanical electrical and process engineering. "

Their website is awash with figures but it doesn't appear to have the space to tell us how many of those jobs went to foreign nationals.
"Coast to Capital Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP), which represents West Sussex, Brighton and Hove, Lewes and the Gatwick Diamond, said projects were spread across software and computer services, biotechnology and pharmaceuticals plus mechanical electrical and process engineering. " Their website is awash with figures but it doesn't appear to have the space to tell us how many of those jobs went to foreign nationals. ok,jared
  • Score: -21

8:47pm Tue 26 Aug 14

Ambo Guy says...

thevoiceoftruth wrote:
ok,jared wrote:
thevoiceoftruth wrote:
ok,jared wrote:
notslimjim wrote:
I see that the Argus doesn't like discussing how many non-Britons are being given our jobs.
Government figures suggest that 75% of those jobs will be to those born abroad.
Show a link to your source evidencing this, or I will just assume you are another sockpuppet account created by fat Jim.
Actually, the figure is 80%

http://www.telegraph


.co.uk/journalists/c


hristopher-hope/7939


138/Record-four-out-


of-five-jobs-going-t


o-foreigners-between


-May-and-June.html

My pleasure!
Thank you for the article from 4 years ago. It makes interesting reading. Here's another one, also from the Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph

.co.uk/education/edu

cationnews/10424148/

Immigrants-fill-one-

in-five-skilled-Brit

ish-jobs.html

So it looks like in some areas like engineering, people from other countries do fill roles, simply because there are not enough suitably qualified Brits to do the job.

"Migrants account for 20 per cent of workers in fields such as oil and gas extraction, aerospace manufacturing and computer, electronic and optical engineering."

"Business leaders have repeatedly warned of a severe shortage of British graduates qualified to fill engineering jobs, with Sir James Dyson, the inventor and entrepreneur, warning last year that up to 217,000 engineers would be needed within five years to plug gaps in the workforce."

So blaming immigrants for taking "our jobs" is a bit simplistic when we do not have enough people with the skills to do these jobs.
Good article and a valid point. The problem is that people like notslimjim/ok,jared (it's the same person btw) will never listen to reason and facts when his racist and bigoted mind has been so warped over the years. I'd be very interested to see the broken family that this sad individual has come from.
[quote][p][bold]thevoiceoftruth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ok,jared[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thevoiceoftruth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ok,jared[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: I see that the Argus doesn't like discussing how many non-Britons are being given our jobs.[/p][/quote]Government figures suggest that 75% of those jobs will be to those born abroad.[/p][/quote]Show a link to your source evidencing this, or I will just assume you are another sockpuppet account created by fat Jim.[/p][/quote]Actually, the figure is 80% http://www.telegraph .co.uk/journalists/c hristopher-hope/7939 138/Record-four-out- of-five-jobs-going-t o-foreigners-between -May-and-June.html My pleasure![/p][/quote]Thank you for the article from 4 years ago. It makes interesting reading. Here's another one, also from the Telegraph. http://www.telegraph .co.uk/education/edu cationnews/10424148/ Immigrants-fill-one- in-five-skilled-Brit ish-jobs.html So it looks like in some areas like engineering, people from other countries do fill roles, simply because there are not enough suitably qualified Brits to do the job. "Migrants account for 20 per cent of workers in fields such as oil and gas extraction, aerospace manufacturing and computer, electronic and optical engineering." "Business leaders have repeatedly warned of a severe shortage of British graduates qualified to fill engineering jobs, with Sir James Dyson, the inventor and entrepreneur, warning last year that up to 217,000 engineers would be needed within five years to plug gaps in the workforce." So blaming immigrants for taking "our jobs" is a bit simplistic when we do not have enough people with the skills to do these jobs.[/p][/quote]Good article and a valid point. The problem is that people like notslimjim/ok,jared (it's the same person btw) will never listen to reason and facts when his racist and bigoted mind has been so warped over the years. I'd be very interested to see the broken family that this sad individual has come from. Ambo Guy
  • Score: 25

9:21pm Tue 26 Aug 14

ok,jared says...

Ambo Guy wrote:
thevoiceoftruth wrote:
ok,jared wrote:
thevoiceoftruth wrote:
ok,jared wrote:
notslimjim wrote:
I see that the Argus doesn't like discussing how many non-Britons are being given our jobs.
Government figures suggest that 75% of those jobs will be to those born abroad.
Show a link to your source evidencing this, or I will just assume you are another sockpuppet account created by fat Jim.
Actually, the figure is 80%

http://www.telegraph



.co.uk/journalists/c



hristopher-hope/7939



138/Record-four-out-



of-five-jobs-going-t



o-foreigners-between



-May-and-June.html

My pleasure!
Thank you for the article from 4 years ago. It makes interesting reading. Here's another one, also from the Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph


.co.uk/education/edu


cationnews/10424148/


Immigrants-fill-one-


in-five-skilled-Brit


ish-jobs.html

So it looks like in some areas like engineering, people from other countries do fill roles, simply because there are not enough suitably qualified Brits to do the job.

"Migrants account for 20 per cent of workers in fields such as oil and gas extraction, aerospace manufacturing and computer, electronic and optical engineering."

"Business leaders have repeatedly warned of a severe shortage of British graduates qualified to fill engineering jobs, with Sir James Dyson, the inventor and entrepreneur, warning last year that up to 217,000 engineers would be needed within five years to plug gaps in the workforce."

So blaming immigrants for taking "our jobs" is a bit simplistic when we do not have enough people with the skills to do these jobs.
Good article and a valid point. The problem is that people like notslimjim/ok,jared (it's the same person btw) will never listen to reason and facts when his racist and bigoted mind has been so warped over the years. I'd be very interested to see the broken family that this sad individual has come from.
Do you ever comment on a topic without referring to how you imagine others live their lives?

https://www.google.c
o.uk/search?q=AmboGu
y+argus+&ie=utf-8&oe
=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.
mozilla:en-US:offici
al&client=firefox-a&
channel=sb&gfe_rd=cr
&ei=Kuz8U5ntH4Lx8APm
8YDwBg

I suggest you seek help with that.
[quote][p][bold]Ambo Guy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thevoiceoftruth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ok,jared[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thevoiceoftruth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ok,jared[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: I see that the Argus doesn't like discussing how many non-Britons are being given our jobs.[/p][/quote]Government figures suggest that 75% of those jobs will be to those born abroad.[/p][/quote]Show a link to your source evidencing this, or I will just assume you are another sockpuppet account created by fat Jim.[/p][/quote]Actually, the figure is 80% http://www.telegraph .co.uk/journalists/c hristopher-hope/7939 138/Record-four-out- of-five-jobs-going-t o-foreigners-between -May-and-June.html My pleasure![/p][/quote]Thank you for the article from 4 years ago. It makes interesting reading. Here's another one, also from the Telegraph. http://www.telegraph .co.uk/education/edu cationnews/10424148/ Immigrants-fill-one- in-five-skilled-Brit ish-jobs.html So it looks like in some areas like engineering, people from other countries do fill roles, simply because there are not enough suitably qualified Brits to do the job. "Migrants account for 20 per cent of workers in fields such as oil and gas extraction, aerospace manufacturing and computer, electronic and optical engineering." "Business leaders have repeatedly warned of a severe shortage of British graduates qualified to fill engineering jobs, with Sir James Dyson, the inventor and entrepreneur, warning last year that up to 217,000 engineers would be needed within five years to plug gaps in the workforce." So blaming immigrants for taking "our jobs" is a bit simplistic when we do not have enough people with the skills to do these jobs.[/p][/quote]Good article and a valid point. The problem is that people like notslimjim/ok,jared (it's the same person btw) will never listen to reason and facts when his racist and bigoted mind has been so warped over the years. I'd be very interested to see the broken family that this sad individual has come from.[/p][/quote]Do you ever comment on a topic without referring to how you imagine others live their lives? https://www.google.c o.uk/search?q=AmboGu y+argus+&ie=utf-8&oe =utf-8&aq=t&rls=org. mozilla:en-US:offici al&client=firefox-a& channel=sb&gfe_rd=cr &ei=Kuz8U5ntH4Lx8APm 8YDwBg I suggest you seek help with that. ok,jared
  • Score: -27

10:00pm Tue 26 Aug 14

ok,jared says...

I particularly enjoyed reading this one:

http://m.theargus.co
.uk/news/11333091.Wo
man_has_kettle_of_bo
iling_water_poured_o
ver_her/?ref=mac


where he was torn apart.

I'm surprised he's still allowed on here
I particularly enjoyed reading this one: http://m.theargus.co .uk/news/11333091.Wo man_has_kettle_of_bo iling_water_poured_o ver_her/?ref=mac where he was torn apart. I'm surprised he's still allowed on here ok,jared
  • Score: -19

11:53pm Tue 26 Aug 14

ok,jared says...

"A report by the Government's UK Trade and Investment agency found 28 projects by overseas companies were started in the region during 2013/14"

No word about how many survived.
"A report by the Government's UK Trade and Investment agency found 28 projects by overseas companies were started in the region during 2013/14" No word about how many survived. ok,jared
  • Score: 0

12:39pm Wed 27 Aug 14

thevoiceoftruth says...

Ambo Guy wrote:
thevoiceoftruth wrote:
ok,jared wrote:
thevoiceoftruth wrote:
ok,jared wrote:
notslimjim wrote:
I see that the Argus doesn't like discussing how many non-Britons are being given our jobs.
Government figures suggest that 75% of those jobs will be to those born abroad.
Show a link to your source evidencing this, or I will just assume you are another sockpuppet account created by fat Jim.
Actually, the figure is 80%

http://www.telegraph



.co.uk/journalists/c



hristopher-hope/7939



138/Record-four-out-



of-five-jobs-going-t



o-foreigners-between



-May-and-June.html

My pleasure!
Thank you for the article from 4 years ago. It makes interesting reading. Here's another one, also from the Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph


.co.uk/education/edu


cationnews/10424148/


Immigrants-fill-one-


in-five-skilled-Brit


ish-jobs.html

So it looks like in some areas like engineering, people from other countries do fill roles, simply because there are not enough suitably qualified Brits to do the job.

"Migrants account for 20 per cent of workers in fields such as oil and gas extraction, aerospace manufacturing and computer, electronic and optical engineering."

"Business leaders have repeatedly warned of a severe shortage of British graduates qualified to fill engineering jobs, with Sir James Dyson, the inventor and entrepreneur, warning last year that up to 217,000 engineers would be needed within five years to plug gaps in the workforce."

So blaming immigrants for taking "our jobs" is a bit simplistic when we do not have enough people with the skills to do these jobs.
Good article and a valid point. The problem is that people like notslimjim/ok,jared (it's the same person btw) will never listen to reason and facts when his racist and bigoted mind has been so warped over the years. I'd be very interested to see the broken family that this sad individual has come from.
The Argus deleted my comment - I have no idea why. Yes, I know they are one and the same but I felt I had to balance things out a bit, even if he is a hopeless case. He seems to be a bit obsessed with you! Almost stalker-esque!
[quote][p][bold]Ambo Guy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thevoiceoftruth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ok,jared[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thevoiceoftruth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ok,jared[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: I see that the Argus doesn't like discussing how many non-Britons are being given our jobs.[/p][/quote]Government figures suggest that 75% of those jobs will be to those born abroad.[/p][/quote]Show a link to your source evidencing this, or I will just assume you are another sockpuppet account created by fat Jim.[/p][/quote]Actually, the figure is 80% http://www.telegraph .co.uk/journalists/c hristopher-hope/7939 138/Record-four-out- of-five-jobs-going-t o-foreigners-between -May-and-June.html My pleasure![/p][/quote]Thank you for the article from 4 years ago. It makes interesting reading. Here's another one, also from the Telegraph. http://www.telegraph .co.uk/education/edu cationnews/10424148/ Immigrants-fill-one- in-five-skilled-Brit ish-jobs.html So it looks like in some areas like engineering, people from other countries do fill roles, simply because there are not enough suitably qualified Brits to do the job. "Migrants account for 20 per cent of workers in fields such as oil and gas extraction, aerospace manufacturing and computer, electronic and optical engineering." "Business leaders have repeatedly warned of a severe shortage of British graduates qualified to fill engineering jobs, with Sir James Dyson, the inventor and entrepreneur, warning last year that up to 217,000 engineers would be needed within five years to plug gaps in the workforce." So blaming immigrants for taking "our jobs" is a bit simplistic when we do not have enough people with the skills to do these jobs.[/p][/quote]Good article and a valid point. The problem is that people like notslimjim/ok,jared (it's the same person btw) will never listen to reason and facts when his racist and bigoted mind has been so warped over the years. I'd be very interested to see the broken family that this sad individual has come from.[/p][/quote]The Argus deleted my comment - I have no idea why. Yes, I know they are one and the same but I felt I had to balance things out a bit, even if he is a hopeless case. He seems to be a bit obsessed with you! Almost stalker-esque! thevoiceoftruth
  • Score: 0

2:21pm Wed 27 Aug 14

ok,jared says...

"The Argus deleted my comment - I have no idea why. "

Misrepresentation, perhaps?

You claimed that a particular poster had used a term which they hadn't done.

You basically lied in order to make a personal slur.
"The Argus deleted my comment - I have no idea why. " Misrepresentation, perhaps? You claimed that a particular poster had used a term which they hadn't done. You basically lied in order to make a personal slur. ok,jared
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree