A spate of kitchen fires over the Bank Holiday weekend has led a fire service to issue safety advice.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service was called out to 12 separate kitchen fires across the county between Saturday morning and Monday night, August 23-25.

One in Rockingham Close, Durrington, left an 87-year-old woman needing treatment for smoke inhalation.

Two occupiers at other properties also had to be led to safety.

The fire service says cooking is the most common cause of accidental house fires in the county, with around two-thirds of all house fires starting in the kitchen.

Deputy safer communities manager for the service, Adrian Carter, said attending so many kitchen fires in such a short space of time was "a real concern".

He said: "The consequences could have been far more serious and many of them could easily have been avoided.

"A smoke detector alone cannot prevent a fire starting in the first place so we are again urging people to take a few simple precautions to minimise the risk of a fire."