Camper van thieves wreck family’s dream

Mathis Bock, his partner Sarah Muckett and their daughter Inola

The camper van

First published in News
Last updated
by

A COUPLE’S dreams of adventures on the continent with their newborn daughter have been dashed after their camper van was stolen.

Sarah Muckett and partner Mathis Bock hoped to show eight-week-old Inola the world from their 1980s’ Volkswagen before re-starting work. But the trio is stuck in Hove after the van was stolen from Saxon Road near their home, after Mr Bock had driven it to the UK from his native Germany.

The couple are trying to track down the van and fear for the safety of the thief because the vacuum pump for the brakes needed replacing.

Miss Muckett, 33, said: “We are gutted. We have got a new family and it was all set for us to have adventures in.

“We have talked about taking the van around Europe while I have got some time for maternity leave and while the baby is small.

“It was our ticket to freedom as when you are on maternity leave you don’t have much money.

“The people who had it before us had it since new and their family had grown up in it. They handed it over to us with pictures their children had drawn of us having adventures in it.”

The contents included CDs, two Llama hair blankets belonging to Mr Bock’s late grandparents, the family’s tent, sleeping bags and a mock-up of an Argus headline ‘the end is nigh’.

The van has seats clad in the original Van Dyck fabric, plain brown curtains, a Westfalia kitchen unit and seats that convert into a double bed.

Last seen with German number plate B-YJ 790, its distinguishing features include a black rectangular panel on its middle left, a vent custom-made by its previous owners.

Miss Muckett and Mr Bock, 40, had been away for ten days and found the van had gone on Saturday morning.

The theft has been reported to police and the couple have been sharing details of the van on social media in a bid to find it.

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:22am Wed 27 Aug 14

hoveguyactually says...

"The couple are trying to track down the van and fear for the safety of the thief because the vacuum pump for the brakes needed replacing."

Why worry about the safety of the thief? Whoever committed the crime deserves all they get. If they land up in hospital it would teach them a lesson. It is other road users who one should be concerned about.
"The couple are trying to track down the van and fear for the safety of the thief because the vacuum pump for the brakes needed replacing." Why worry about the safety of the thief? Whoever committed the crime deserves all they get. If they land up in hospital it would teach them a lesson. It is other road users who one should be concerned about. hoveguyactually
  • Score: 18

9:33am Wed 27 Aug 14

ok,jared says...

"The couple are trying to track down the van and fear for the safety of the thief because the vacuum pump for the brakes needed replacing. "

But they were quite happy to take their baby in it.

I suspect that they're only concerned about the safety of the van, and I do hope it's found.
"The couple are trying to track down the van and fear for the safety of the thief because the vacuum pump for the brakes needed replacing. " But they were quite happy to take their baby in it. I suspect that they're only concerned about the safety of the van, and I do hope it's found. ok,jared
  • Score: -65

10:49am Wed 27 Aug 14

SarahRM says...

We had just received the replacement part and had gone to fix the van in preparation for its maiden voyage with the baby when we realised it had been stolen. Rest assured our child was not put at risk! Please keep a look out and let us know if you spot it. Sarah
We had just received the replacement part and had gone to fix the van in preparation for its maiden voyage with the baby when we realised it had been stolen. Rest assured our child was not put at risk! Please keep a look out and let us know if you spot it. Sarah SarahRM
  • Score: 70

11:22am Wed 27 Aug 14

ok,jared says...

SarahRM wrote:
We had just received the replacement part and had gone to fix the van in preparation for its maiden voyage with the baby when we realised it had been stolen. Rest assured our child was not put at risk! Please keep a look out and let us know if you spot it. Sarah
Surely a coincidence like that was worth telling to the Argus?

Yes, I'll keep an eye out for it.
[quote][p][bold]SarahRM[/bold] wrote: We had just received the replacement part and had gone to fix the van in preparation for its maiden voyage with the baby when we realised it had been stolen. Rest assured our child was not put at risk! Please keep a look out and let us know if you spot it. Sarah[/p][/quote]Surely a coincidence like that was worth telling to the Argus? Yes, I'll keep an eye out for it. ok,jared
  • Score: -52

6:42pm Wed 27 Aug 14

hoveguyactually says...

SarahRM wrote:
We had just received the replacement part and had gone to fix the van in preparation for its maiden voyage with the baby when we realised it had been stolen. Rest assured our child was not put at risk! Please keep a look out and let us know if you spot it. Sarah
I hope you get it back all right, Sarah, and enjoy the maiden voyage.
[quote][p][bold]SarahRM[/bold] wrote: We had just received the replacement part and had gone to fix the van in preparation for its maiden voyage with the baby when we realised it had been stolen. Rest assured our child was not put at risk! Please keep a look out and let us know if you spot it. Sarah[/p][/quote]I hope you get it back all right, Sarah, and enjoy the maiden voyage. hoveguyactually
  • Score: 32

8:52pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Withdean-er says...

SarahRM - don't rise to the bait of the noisy troll. Their small but warped mind just spurts out any old ****, reflecting their empty and unhappy soul.

Good luck in getting your camper van back.
SarahRM - don't rise to the bait of the noisy troll. Their small but warped mind just spurts out any old ****, reflecting their empty and unhappy soul. Good luck in getting your camper van back. Withdean-er
  • Score: 60

9:56pm Wed 27 Aug 14

ok,jared says...

Withdean-er wrote:
SarahRM - don't rise to the bait of the noisy troll. Their small but warped mind just spurts out any old ****, reflecting their empty and unhappy soul.

Good luck in getting your camper van back.
Unable to argue against what others have written?

No wonder you get so angry, continually having your shortcomings exposed.
[quote][p][bold]Withdean-er[/bold] wrote: SarahRM - don't rise to the bait of the noisy troll. Their small but warped mind just spurts out any old ****, reflecting their empty and unhappy soul. Good luck in getting your camper van back.[/p][/quote]Unable to argue against what others have written? No wonder you get so angry, continually having your shortcomings exposed. ok,jared
  • Score: -51

10:26pm Wed 27 Aug 14

Tyndall'sArmy says...

ok,jared wrote:
"The couple are trying to track down the van and fear for the safety of the thief because the vacuum pump for the brakes needed replacing. "

But they were quite happy to take their baby in it.

I suspect that they're only concerned about the safety of the van, and I do hope it's found.
Great to see yet again my comments getting the thumbs down. -43 not a bad score but could do better. That's 43 people who are clearly unable to debate anything with me properly.
[quote][p][bold]ok,jared[/bold] wrote: "The couple are trying to track down the van and fear for the safety of the thief because the vacuum pump for the brakes needed replacing. " But they were quite happy to take their baby in it. I suspect that they're only concerned about the safety of the van, and I do hope it's found.[/p][/quote]Great to see yet again my comments getting the thumbs down. -43 not a bad score but could do better. That's 43 people who are clearly unable to debate anything with me properly. Tyndall'sArmy
  • Score: -49

10:50pm Wed 27 Aug 14

ok,jared says...

Tyndall'sArmy wrote:
ok,jared wrote:
"The couple are trying to track down the van and fear for the safety of the thief because the vacuum pump for the brakes needed replacing. "

But they were quite happy to take their baby in it.

I suspect that they're only concerned about the safety of the van, and I do hope it's found.
Great to see yet again my comments getting the thumbs down. -43 not a bad score but could do better. That's 43 people who are clearly unable to debate anything with me properly.
They are basically telling you that they hate the fact that you are right.

If you were wrong, they'd be able to discuss your posts like adults and show why they think you're wrong.
[quote][p][bold]Tyndall'sArmy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ok,jared[/bold] wrote: "The couple are trying to track down the van and fear for the safety of the thief because the vacuum pump for the brakes needed replacing. " But they were quite happy to take their baby in it. I suspect that they're only concerned about the safety of the van, and I do hope it's found.[/p][/quote]Great to see yet again my comments getting the thumbs down. -43 not a bad score but could do better. That's 43 people who are clearly unable to debate anything with me properly.[/p][/quote]They are basically telling you that they hate the fact that you are right. If you were wrong, they'd be able to discuss your posts like adults and show why they think you're wrong. ok,jared
  • Score: -22

6:56am Thu 28 Aug 14

Sir Prised says...

Some individuals must have such sad lives to have to keep hi-jacking other people's threads, to continue their childish spats. It's pretty pathetic behaviour for supposed grown-ups!
Some individuals must have such sad lives to have to keep hi-jacking other people's threads, to continue their childish spats. It's pretty pathetic behaviour for supposed grown-ups! Sir Prised
  • Score: 5

10:04am Thu 28 Aug 14

ok,jared says...

Sir Prised wrote:
Some individuals must have such sad lives to have to keep hi-jacking other people's threads, to continue their childish spats. It's pretty pathetic behaviour for supposed grown-ups!
I see that AmboGuy has changed his username to Ambo Guy.

Is that because his first profile was deleted by the Argus?
[quote][p][bold]Sir Prised[/bold] wrote: Some individuals must have such sad lives to have to keep hi-jacking other people's threads, to continue their childish spats. It's pretty pathetic behaviour for supposed grown-ups![/p][/quote]I see that AmboGuy has changed his username to Ambo Guy. Is that because his first profile was deleted by the Argus? ok,jared
  • Score: -10

2:26am Fri 29 Aug 14

ok,jared says...

I see that Fat Bertha couldn't explain her post.
I see that Fat Bertha couldn't explain her post. ok,jared
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree