A TEN-year-old’s foot was crushed when a historic seafront bollard fell on him.

Thomas Lowe was operated on yesterday to repair the injuries to his heel and toe after the bollard on Brighton promenade toppled over.

Brighton and Hove City Council has launched an investigation and yesterday workers appeared to have removed the bollard along with others nearby.

The 10-year-old, from London, was in Brighton with his mother visiting friends on Wednesday.

Karen Kirk, from Worthing, who was showing the family around Brighton, said: “It was awful.

“We had been to the pier and were heading to get an ice-cream before they went home when we heard this almighty scream.

“I looked round and the bollard was on his foot. We managed to lift it off and his foot was black and blue almost instantly.”

A lifeguard rushed from the beach to carry out first aid while a worker from a nearby hotel brought out packs of ice.

The bollard was one of six painted in the traditional promenade light green on the section opposite the Queens Hotel.

He was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital where doctors assessed the injury. But although medical staff wanted to perform surgery as soon as possible, the distressed youngster wanted to get home and it was decided he would be operated on at a hospital in London.

Ms Kirk said they checked the other bollards nearby after the incident and a number appeared to be “loose”.

She added: “I contacted the council but I haven’t heard anything back, which I think is pretty bad really.

“If it was a toddler or a baby it could have been much worse. It could have crushed them to death.”

Toni Manuel, Brighton and Hove City Council seafront development manager, said: “We are aware of the accident as one of our seafront officers gave assistance at the scene yesterday. “We are investigating the cause of the incident but our primary concern at this time is the welfare of the injured child and our thoughts are with him and his family.” The Argus asked the council if the bollard and others had been removed but they failed to respond.

The Argus also asked about maintenance and safety checks but they also failed to respond to that inquiry.