Housing chief applies for basement conversion

Jugal Sharma

Jugal Sharma

First published in News
Last updated

A COUNCIL housing chief wanted by police for questioning over a suspected £18 million fraud has submitted a new planning application to convert his home.

Jugal Sharma is seeking permission from Brighton and Hove City Council to convert the basement of his home in Holland Road, Hove.

Sussex Police searched the property earlier this month after announcing that they wished to speak to Brighton and Hove City Council’s housing boss.

Four men were arrested during the raids in connection with a long-running investigation into the alleged improper awarding of council contracts.

The proposal submitted this week seeks permission to convert a storage basement at the two-storey detached house into a separate two bedroom flat with its own external access and amenity space.

Online records show that the property was last sold for £575,000 in 2005.

The application, which has been completed by Brighton-based Landivar Architects on behalf of Mr Sharma, states that they are wishing to follow a similar conversion at his neighbour’s house.

Last night, Sussex Police spokeswoman said: “The investigation continues and there have been no further arrests.

“We are in touch with the resident at the Holland Road address who was not there on August 6 and he will be interviewed under caution in the near future.

“We are not prepared to say at this stage whether a specific date has been set for that.”

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:07pm Fri 29 Aug 14

Valentinian says...

Last night, Sussex Police spokeswoman said: “The investigation continues and there have been no further arrests.

“We are in touch with the resident at the Holland Road address who was not there on August 6 and he will be interviewed under caution in future."
“We are not prepared to say at this stage whether a specific date has been set for that.”

REALLY pmsl
Last night, Sussex Police spokeswoman said: “The investigation continues and there have been no further arrests. “We are in touch with the resident at the Holland Road address who was not there on August 6 and he will be interviewed under caution in future." “We are not prepared to say at this stage whether a specific date has been set for that.” REALLY pmsl Valentinian
  • Score: -1

2:21am Sat 30 Aug 14

ok,jared says...

He's an Asian.

These things never end well.
He's an Asian. These things never end well. ok,jared
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree