LiveTravellers arrive at Hove Lawns

First published in News
Last updated
by

This live event has finished

Summary

  • Travellers have parked up on Hove seafront this morning.
  • Local residents have sent The Argus pictures of the litter strewn Kingsway - almost directly opposite Brighton and Hove City Council's offices King's House.
  • Around 15 caravans were yesterday seen on Surrendean Field, Withdean and around 30 on Hangleton Green.

2:56pm

Despite claiming they intended to leave by midday, ten caravans are still parked up between Brunswick Terrace and Hove lawns. 

They do not appear to have moved. 

1:09pm

Notifying Brighton and Hove City Councillors of the situation last night, 

Rachel Chasseaud, the council's head of tenancy services said: "A joint visit was carried out with the Police and Parking Enforcement Officers yesterday.

"It is not an offence to park vehicles on the highway as long as they are legally parked. It is however a breach of civil law to sleep in a vehicle parked on the highway overnight.

"Yesterday the majority of vehicles had parking tickets and were parked legally. Those that did not received parking enforcement notices. I understand that parking enforcement have attended this morning and served more parking enforcement notices where appropriate.

"On the basis that we have reason to believe that the occupants are sleeping in their vehicles on the highway we have served them with directions to leave under S77 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 on 10 vehicles.

"The travellers say that they will be leaving. However as they have failed to do so we will be initiating court action to enforce the S77 notices this morning. We will be required to obtain a possession order and then a Bailiff’s warrant to enforce this and it could take ten days to two weeks." 

Residents reporting incidents of antisocial behaviour to the council and/or to the police.

1:06pm

Sussex Police have said they are monitoring the situation but have no power to act. 

A spokesman said: "Approximately ten motor homes moved onto the seafront highway at Hove on Tuesday. It is understood parking tickets have been purchased.

"Police have no powers under Section 61 in this situation.

"Brighton & Hove City Council is believed to have served Section 77 notices requiring the motorhomes to move on, so the onus is with the council at this stage.

"Sussex Police continue to monitor the situation."

10:40am

10:39am

10:32am

A member of the group has said they will leave the area by noon.

9:55am

9:47am

Brighton and Hove City Council litter pickers have cleared up the rubbish on the lawns which was reported earlier.

9:43am

One of the group told our reporter they were holidaymakers from London who had been planning on going to Clacton-on-Sea.

9:41am

All of the vehicles have received tickets from parking wardens.

9:39am

9:39am

The group have told our reporter that they aren't travellers but one of their group broken down, so they've stopped overnight.

9:20am

The Argus:

9:12am

9:06am

The Argus:

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree