Guitarist offers lessons to raise cash for Africa trip

Jed Powell is trying to raise £800 so he can go to Nigeria to carry out charity work

Jed Powell is trying to raise £800 so he can go to Nigeria to carry out charity work

First published in News by

AN AMATEUR guitarist is travelling more than 4,000 miles to help a poverty-stricken community.

Jed Powell, 21, from Worthing, is hoping to raise enough money to join a volunteer programme, which will send a group of volunteers to Nigeria to help rural communities.

Jed will depart on October 2 with 13 other volunteers to the Kwara State in rural Nigeria, where up to 80% of the population live below the poverty line and less than 50% have access to clean drinking water.

The International Citizens Service, which Jed applied for, is a government-based scheme, giving people aged from 18 to 25 years old the opportunity to volunteer in a country that needs help.

He said: “The best thing about the scheme is that it identifies what the local community needs. They look to send you to a third-world country, where you try to help out where you can.

“A lot of schemes like this build a school in an area which is torn down after two years so that another team of volunteers can build a new one. This scheme doesn’t do that.”

The government funds 90% of the programme, leaving volunteers to raise the extra 10% needed.

Jed recently quit his job as a chef so that he could focus on fundraising.

He is now running a number of fundraising activities and offering individual guitar lessons to raise the £800 he needs to go to Nigeria.

Jed decided he wanted to help those in need when he considered working abroad.

“I felt it was the best option for me as it meant I could travel whilst helping a community that sorely needs it.

“I felt the experience would beat the money I could earn working abroad so I decided to go with volunteering.”

For anyone interested in guitar lessons or donating, visit justgiving.com/Jed-Powell.

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:06pm Fri 5 Sep 14

Handy-ish Andy says...

Why isn't he sorting out the poverty a little nearer home?

If he cannot afford to fund himself, why should others?

It also amuses me that despite allegedly being the first people on Earth, Africans still require help from the rest of the world.
Why isn't he sorting out the poverty a little nearer home? If he cannot afford to fund himself, why should others? It also amuses me that despite allegedly being the first people on Earth, Africans still require help from the rest of the world. Handy-ish Andy
  • Score: 1

9:09am Sun 7 Sep 14

Plantpot says...

it would be interesting to understand exactly what the trip entails. The one thing that developing countries don't need is manpower - they have that in abundance - what they need is expertise that isn't available locally, to train people to the point where that expertise IS available locally.
it would be interesting to understand exactly what the trip entails. The one thing that developing countries don't need is manpower - they have that in abundance - what they need is expertise that isn't available locally, to train people to the point where that expertise IS available locally. Plantpot
  • Score: 0
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree