A drunken man who repeatedly punched a woman police officer in an attack that left her with concussion has been jailed.

Adrian Taylor had to be dragged off PC Jo Seabridge by two members of the public during the attack that left her unable to work for four months.

The 52-year-old from St Leonards was jailed for three years at Brighton Crown Court.

Taylor was seen acting suspiciously beside a parked car in The Ridge, St Leonards, on July 5 last year, when PC Jo Seabridge was asked to investigate.

PC Seabridge, who was on her own, spoke to Taylor encouraging him to catch the bus home, before seeing him walk back towards the Conquest Hospital along The Ridge and stopping to speak to him again.

Drunk Taylor began shouting abuse at the police officer, before PC Seabridge attempted to arrest him for being drunk and disorderly. But Taylor resisted arrest and elbowed her, before hitting her on the head, knocking her to the floor and punching her repeatedly to the head.

He knocked her unconscious at one point, before two members of the public came to her aid and pulled Taylor off her, allowing her to arrest him.

The assault left PC Seabridge with concussion, but as her symptoms she water diagnosed with post-concussion syndrome leaving her unable to work for four months. She has only just returned on light duties.

She said: “My head injury has been a big problem for me as I have headaches and short term memory loss and it's made it difficult to do my job. It's been hard to come back and just be in the office, I don't feel like I'm doing my job properly.

"I know some people say this is just part of the job of being a police officer but it's not. He didn't just resist arrest but punched me until I was unconscious.

"This was investigated thoroughly, regardless of who the victim was, but it sends a positive message that Sussex Police will not tolerate serious assaults on their officers.”

Adrian Taylor, 52, of Terrace Road, St Leonards was charged with GBH with intent. He eventually pleaded guilty to ABH and was sentenced to three years in prison at Brighton Crown Court on Friday April 7.

The two members of the public have been given Chief Constable’s commendations for their bravery in helping PC Seabridge.

She added: “I would personally like to thank the two men who came to my aid as I am truly grateful for their actions on that morning. Without their intervention, my injuries would have been far worse.”