A man with a crossbow has been arrested after a stand-off with armed police.

Armed police were deployed to a bungalow in Whitehawk Close, Brighton, at 4am this morning, after people called 999 reporting that a man had a weapon at the property. 

Dozens of armed officers in body armour carrying assault rifles and pistols surrounded the bungalow at the top of the cul-de-sac after the man initially refused to come out. 

Residents living next door reported hearing loud music and shouting before the police arrived. 

One woman, who didn't want to be named, said: "There had been a lot of shouting like an argument coming from the bungalow in the early hours - I think they had a party. 

"Then we had a knock on the door around 6am from armed police asking if they could unlock the gate. 

"It was frightening but the police did a fantastic job to defuse the situation."

After several hours of negotiating, the man agreed to exit the house and speak with officers at 9am. 

Whitehawk Road was cordoned off until that time. 

Residents reacted in shock to seeing the huge police presence in their area, which included four armed response vehicles, three police cars and a police van. 

Maureen Grosse, 71, of Whitehawk Crescent, said: "I had heard strange noises earlier on - I thought people were having a party. 

"It was about 7am when I looked at the window and saw the police. I saw lots of plain clothed police.

"We get quite a few drug-related problems so that's what I thought it was this morning."

Danielle, 30, of Whitehawk Crescent, said: "Around 6 am this morning I saw lot's of police.

"All of the cars we see now have been here since I got up. 

"It worries me because they haven't old us what's happening."

John Telmy, 65, of Whitehawk Crescent said: "I got up drew the curtains back and saw police cars. 

"I surprised to see all the police here."

A Sussex Police spokesman said: "Armed police were deployed followings reports the man may have been in possession of a weapon. 

"A crossbow was seized from the scene, however it was never used at any stage."

The 36-year-old, from Brighton, was arrested on suspicion of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and affray. 

A 20-year-old man, from Brighton, was also arrested at the scene on suspicion of obstructing police. 

Both men remain in police custody.