FIREFIGHTERS tackled a blaze at a pub last night.

Residents said they saw fire engines attend the scene at the Cinque Ports pub in Seaford High Street at around 9pm.

Frank Fraser, 33, a book seller who lives next door to the venue, said: “It looked like a fire in the kitchens at the back.

“It was getting dangerously close to a gas cylinder on the roof at the back before the fire brigade turned up.

“There were large flames coming through the ceiling of the pub.

“The fire crews were here until around 11pm once they had finished putting out the fire.”

There have not been any injuries reported.

An East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: "At 20.55 four crews from Newhaven and Seaford were sent to a property in the High Street, Seaford, where crews wearing breathing apparatus tackled a fire using two hose reel jets and 1-in-7 foam.

"A positive pressure ventilation fan was used to clear smoke from the building and firefighters then spent time cutting away and checking for any further pockets of fire."

The cause of the blaze was found to be an accidental fire in the kitchen area.