This is the first picture of Barry Baker – the man allegedly left to die in his home by two ambulancemen.

The two paramedics were sent to the 59-year-old's home after he dialled 999 saying he thought he was having a heart attack.

But Mr Baker collapsed while on the phone to operators and when the ambulance crew arrived at his house the landline was still open.

At the other end of the line, operators allegedly heard the medics make derogatory comments about the state of Mr Baker's house in Braybon Avenue in Patcham, Brighton.

A police source reportedly said the paramedics were heard by the operators allegedly saying "words to the effect that he was not worth saving".

The ambulance workers, aged 35 and 44, were arrested on December 5 on suspicion of neglecting to perform a duty in a public office contrary to common law.

Both men have been suspended from their jobs and bailed until next month while a police investigation is carried out.

No charges have yet been brought.

Unmarried Mr Baker worked at JobCentre Plus in Edward Street, Brighton, and was a regular at the Ladies Mile Pub in Mackie Avenue, Patcham.

Last night, Mr Baker's next door neighbour, who asked not to be named, said: "Barry Baker was single and lived alone in the family home of his parents who pre-deceased him a long time ago.

"Barry was my neighbour for the past 24 years. He was a good and kindly soul and possessed a dry sense of humour.

"My wife and I will miss him very much. He was well known by local taxis who carried him to his jobs at the JobCentre.

"He enjoyed a good social life and was fond of an occasional pint. On Sundays, he would have lunch with a friend at the Ladies Mile pub."

Paul Newman, landlord of the Ladies Mile, said Mr Baker was a popular figure.

He said: "He used to come to the pub every Sunday morning at opening time.

"He arrived by bus and met friends here and together they played a few hands of cards.

"He did it every Sunday without fail and was a really nice chap."

Mr Baker's retired neighbour Ralph Virgo expressed his shock at the arrests.

Mr Virgo, 79, said: "We knew something was amiss when a detective came round to see us and asked what we'd seen."

Sussex Police confirmed they arrested the two Brighton-based medics on December 5 - six days after Mr Baker's death.

A spokesman said: "The men, aged 35 and 44 from the Brighton area, have been questioned concerning public office duty of care matters and bailed to a later date in January 2009. No charges have been brought."

A South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Trust spokeswoman said the service "has suspended two male members of staff from duty as police conduct an investigation".

Mr Baker's funeral has had to be delayed because of the police probe into the ambulancemen's actions but a memorial service was due to take place at All Saints Church in Patcham on January 16.