Forecasters have predicted a break in the stormy weather after a treacherous weekend which led to one death and dozens of injuries in Sussex.

The Met Office yesterday said heavy rainfall was not expected again in the county until Thursday but that people should expect cold and wet conditions to continue over the next fortnight.

Storms have buffeted Sussex since Friday, when torrential rainfall caused flooding alongside several rivers.

Some roads became impassable under several feet of water as streams and rivers burst their banks.

Staff at the Anchor Inn, in Barcombe, near Lewes, had to close to the public as the River Ouse spilled across its access road.

Heavy rainfall continued yesterday and more than 20 flood warnings were issued across the county, affecting areas alongside the Rivers Rother, Adur, Arun, Ouse, Teise, Eden, Cuckmere and Uck and many tributaries.

The most problematic stage of the weekend came on Saturday as the rain gave way to freezing temperatures across the north of Sussex.

Emergency services said they were inundated with calls as black ice made difficult driving conditions.

They issued urgent warnings for motorists to take care.

A Sussex Police spokesman said: "We were called to 44 separate road accidents before 2.30pm when the temperature rose and thawed most of the ice. At one stage we had six calls within eleven minutes."

A 33-year-old driver was killed in the worst of the incidents, a head-on collision in Top Road, in Sharpthorne, near East Grinstead.

He had been driving his blue Ford Focus at around midnight when it skidded on ice and collided with a silver BMW 3 Series.

His 25-year-old female passenger and the driver of the BMW were both seriously injured.

They were taken to the New East Surrey Hospital in Redhill by ambulance.

A motorcyclist was also being treated in hospital after a separate crash on the A24 on Saturday afternoon.

The rider had been travelling on the road close to Findon when he came off his vehicle at 1pm.

He was treated by paramedics before being taken by ambulance to Worthing Hospital.

Sussex Police said it had been forced to close the road for more than an hour after the accident.

Fire crews from Findon were called to clear oil from the roadway.

Anyone with information about the fatal crash at Sharpthorne should call Haywards Heath road policing unit on 0845 6070999.

Leave your tributes to the driver below.