Man dies after jumping off a shopping centre balcony

First published in News by

Shoppers were left shocked today after a young man jumped to his death in front of them.

The 27-year-old man was seen leaping from the top floor of the County Mall in Crawley town centre near the Boots outlet.

Police were called to the scene at 12.45pm and a cordon has been put in place.

A police spokeswoman said: "The male is local to Crawley. He was declared dead at the scene. His death is not being treated as suspicious."

The coroner has been informed.

Please leave your tributes below.

Comments (24)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:13pm Tue 5 Oct 10

patchamgirl says...

WOW! how awful for all involved! wonder y he picked such a public place...rip man
WOW! how awful for all involved! wonder y he picked such a public place...rip man patchamgirl
  • Score: 0

6:27pm Tue 5 Oct 10

weggy says...

why oh why do people do this, my heart goes out to his poor family, I lost a family member to suicide and the aftermath is terrible. This poor young man was obviously very troubled and his family will need a lot of love and support to get them through.

My heart also goes out to those who witnessed it particularly any children. I will pray for all involved.
why oh why do people do this, my heart goes out to his poor family, I lost a family member to suicide and the aftermath is terrible. This poor young man was obviously very troubled and his family will need a lot of love and support to get them through. My heart also goes out to those who witnessed it particularly any children. I will pray for all involved. weggy
  • Score: 0

8:17pm Tue 5 Oct 10

emily.symes says...

I was one of the many witnesses of this horific incident. Why do people insist on doing this in such a public place and also where others can be hurt. If life is so bad at least end it in the privacy of your own home. I and others will be affected by this for a long time.

Since this afternoon I have heard this is not the first jumper to throw themself off the highest level of the County Mall, in fact I hear there have been a few. Why the hell hasn't there been precautions to stop this. Higher barriers, safety nets - it's not much to ask if it stops this happening again.
I was one of the many witnesses of this horific incident. Why do people insist on doing this in such a public place and also where others can be hurt. If life is so bad at least end it in the privacy of your own home. I and others will be affected by this for a long time. Since this afternoon I have heard this is not the first jumper to throw themself off the highest level of the County Mall, in fact I hear there have been a few. Why the hell hasn't there been precautions to stop this. Higher barriers, safety nets - it's not much to ask if it stops this happening again. emily.symes
  • Score: 0

9:27pm Tue 5 Oct 10

SpecialityK says...

This is such dreadfully sad news. My heart goes out to this young man, his family and friends, and the poor people who witnessed the event.
I find Lgreco's comments above really offensive, I can only imagine just how upsetting they will be to the bereaved family! The young man who took his life was not a coward, or selfish - he was ill.
When someone is suffering with a severe mental illness and is so depressed or disturbed that they are seriously suicidal, they are not their 'normal' healthy, rational self... if they were, they would not take their life! They would be stopped by concern for their family, friends, onlookers, etc.
But when someone is really suicidal - not just quite depressed - they go to a place beyond all rational thought. To them, at that moment in time, they just want it all to stop and suicide seems like the only 'rational' option. In that moment, the person is not really 'John/Jane' and they are so unwell that they are not able to be responsible for their actions. This is why it is not a cowardly or selfish act.... just very, very sad.
Regarding County Mall management, there have been a several suicides here going back many years. I can't think what excuse they could have for not making adequate modifications to the building design to prevent another needless death. I hope the Coroner asks the appropriate questions.
This is such dreadfully sad news. My heart goes out to this young man, his family and friends, and the poor people who witnessed the event. I find Lgreco's comments above really offensive, I can only imagine just how upsetting they will be to the bereaved family! The young man who took his life was not a coward, or selfish - he was ill. When someone is suffering with a severe mental illness and is so depressed or disturbed that they are seriously suicidal, they are not their 'normal' healthy, rational self... if they were, they would not take their life! They would be stopped by concern for their family, friends, onlookers, etc. But when someone is really suicidal - not just quite depressed - they go to a place beyond all rational thought. To them, at that moment in time, they just want it all to stop and suicide seems like the only 'rational' option. In that moment, the person is not really 'John/Jane' and they are so unwell that they are not able to be responsible for their actions. This is why it is not a cowardly or selfish act.... just very, very sad. Regarding County Mall management, there have been a several suicides here going back many years. I can't think what excuse they could have for not making adequate modifications to the building design to prevent another needless death. I hope the Coroner asks the appropriate questions. SpecialityK
  • Score: 0

9:41pm Tue 5 Oct 10

rachelbignell says...

firstly half of you are a hundred times more disrespectful than the man that did this!!! who are any of you to judge what someone is going through.... so your friend was nearby? so it was a public place? do you really think this poor bloke thought about who was close by or the fact it was in public? when your that desperate you will do anything to stop what ever pain your in!!!! and as for the person calling him s coward... my father commited suicide.... I know what the effects are first hand!! my father was no coward he was strong to say he wasn't going to put up with the pain anymore!!! unless suicide has effected you in any way... you don't have a clue!!!! how sad you think more about someone passing by then you do for the family he left behind!!!! half of you should be ashamed of yourselves!!! let's hope none of you are ever effected by suicide... why go on about safety measures put into place? let's make safe trees people hang themselves from let's put safety covers over rivers shall we, let's make safe tablets so people can't overdose.... if someone wants to die... they will find away... all I can say is rest in peace mate and I hope you find what you long for!!!!!!
firstly half of you are a hundred times more disrespectful than the man that did this!!! who are any of you to judge what someone is going through.... so your friend was nearby? so it was a public place? do you really think this poor bloke thought about who was close by or the fact it was in public? when your that desperate you will do anything to stop what ever pain your in!!!! and as for the person calling him s coward... my father commited suicide.... I know what the effects are first hand!! my father was no coward he was strong to say he wasn't going to put up with the pain anymore!!! unless suicide has effected you in any way... you don't have a clue!!!! how sad you think more about someone passing by then you do for the family he left behind!!!! half of you should be ashamed of yourselves!!! let's hope none of you are ever effected by suicide... why go on about safety measures put into place? let's make safe trees people hang themselves from let's put safety covers over rivers shall we, let's make safe tablets so people can't overdose.... if someone wants to die... they will find away... all I can say is rest in peace mate and I hope you find what you long for!!!!!! rachelbignell
  • Score: 0

9:58pm Tue 5 Oct 10

shell27 says...

Does anyone know who this poor man was? i would like to wish his family our condolences and what a dreadful thing to happen to all those involved
Does anyone know who this poor man was? i would like to wish his family our condolences and what a dreadful thing to happen to all those involved shell27
  • Score: 0

10:13pm Tue 5 Oct 10

pun master says...

SpecialityK wrote:
This is such dreadfully sad news. My heart goes out to this young man, his family and friends, and the poor people who witnessed the event.
I find Lgreco's comments above really offensive, I can only imagine just how upsetting they will be to the bereaved family! The young man who took his life was not a coward, or selfish - he was ill.
When someone is suffering with a severe mental illness and is so depressed or disturbed that they are seriously suicidal, they are not their 'normal' healthy, rational self... if they were, they would not take their life! They would be stopped by concern for their family, friends, onlookers, etc.
But when someone is really suicidal - not just quite depressed - they go to a place beyond all rational thought. To them, at that moment in time, they just want it all to stop and suicide seems like the only 'rational' option. In that moment, the person is not really 'John/Jane' and they are so unwell that they are not able to be responsible for their actions. This is why it is not a cowardly or selfish act.... just very, very sad.
Regarding County Mall management, there have been a several suicides here going back many years. I can't think what excuse they could have for not making adequate modifications to the building design to prevent another needless death. I hope the Coroner asks the appropriate questions.
Quite agree with most of your points; although to try and take preventative measures is near impossible - if someone is ill enough to take their own life then there a preventative measure in one place simply opens up somewhere else to the risk of an awful incident like this. What is needed is better provision for mental health, so that people like this poor, poor young man don't reach such drastic levels of illness. I don't suggest for one minute that this wasn't horrific for all concerned, but please be compassionate enough to try to realise that it is highly unlikely that this tragic victim had any comprehension of the effects of his actions on anyone else. My condolences to his family and friends, and I hope you can focus on the happy, cherished memories you have of him...
[quote][p][bold]SpecialityK[/bold] wrote: This is such dreadfully sad news. My heart goes out to this young man, his family and friends, and the poor people who witnessed the event. I find Lgreco's comments above really offensive, I can only imagine just how upsetting they will be to the bereaved family! The young man who took his life was not a coward, or selfish - he was ill. When someone is suffering with a severe mental illness and is so depressed or disturbed that they are seriously suicidal, they are not their 'normal' healthy, rational self... if they were, they would not take their life! They would be stopped by concern for their family, friends, onlookers, etc. But when someone is really suicidal - not just quite depressed - they go to a place beyond all rational thought. To them, at that moment in time, they just want it all to stop and suicide seems like the only 'rational' option. In that moment, the person is not really 'John/Jane' and they are so unwell that they are not able to be responsible for their actions. This is why it is not a cowardly or selfish act.... just very, very sad. Regarding County Mall management, there have been a several suicides here going back many years. I can't think what excuse they could have for not making adequate modifications to the building design to prevent another needless death. I hope the Coroner asks the appropriate questions.[/p][/quote]Quite agree with most of your points; although to try and take preventative measures is near impossible - if someone is ill enough to take their own life then there a preventative measure in one place simply opens up somewhere else to the risk of an awful incident like this. What is needed is better provision for mental health, so that people like this poor, poor young man don't reach such drastic levels of illness. I don't suggest for one minute that this wasn't horrific for all concerned, but please be compassionate enough to try to realise that it is highly unlikely that this tragic victim had any comprehension of the effects of his actions on anyone else. My condolences to his family and friends, and I hope you can focus on the happy, cherished memories you have of him... pun master
  • Score: 0

10:41pm Tue 5 Oct 10

samlee14 says...

we are all entitled to our own opinions but what it comes down to is that this is a tragedy for everybody involed, for the guy, his family and friends, and for the witnesses. all of whom need support in getting through this. Its times like this when we need to keep our opinions to ourselves and offer our support to evreybody affected. My thoughts are with you all and i hope you can get through this difficult time. R.I.P Stranger.
we are all entitled to our own opinions but what it comes down to is that this is a tragedy for everybody involed, for the guy, his family and friends, and for the witnesses. all of whom need support in getting through this. Its times like this when we need to keep our opinions to ourselves and offer our support to evreybody affected. My thoughts are with you all and i hope you can get through this difficult time. R.I.P Stranger. samlee14
  • Score: 0

8:50am Wed 6 Oct 10

patchamgirl says...

rachelbignell wrote:
firstly half of you are a hundred times more disrespectful than the man that did this!!! who are any of you to judge what someone is going through.... so your friend was nearby? so it was a public place? do you really think this poor bloke thought about who was close by or the fact it was in public? when your that desperate you will do anything to stop what ever pain your in!!!! and as for the person calling him s coward... my father commited suicide.... I know what the effects are first hand!! my father was no coward he was strong to say he wasn't going to put up with the pain anymore!!! unless suicide has effected you in any way... you don't have a clue!!!! how sad you think more about someone passing by then you do for the family he left behind!!!! half of you should be ashamed of yourselves!!! let's hope none of you are ever effected by suicide... why go on about safety measures put into place? let's make safe trees people hang themselves from let's put safety covers over rivers shall we, let's make safe tablets so people can't overdose.... if someone wants to die... they will find away... all I can say is rest in peace mate and I hope you find what you long for!!!!!!
my father also committed suicide, he jumped from rottingdean cliffs, he called police first to clear the area and have an ambulance on standby to take him away so as to protect as many members of the public as possible.
i do believe this man should have choosen somewhere less public, i also agree that mayb it was a sharp decision however i feel deeply for the people who witnessed as well his family and friends and him...selfish, a little, cowardly most definatly not!
[quote][p][bold]rachelbignell[/bold] wrote: firstly half of you are a hundred times more disrespectful than the man that did this!!! who are any of you to judge what someone is going through.... so your friend was nearby? so it was a public place? do you really think this poor bloke thought about who was close by or the fact it was in public? when your that desperate you will do anything to stop what ever pain your in!!!! and as for the person calling him s coward... my father commited suicide.... I know what the effects are first hand!! my father was no coward he was strong to say he wasn't going to put up with the pain anymore!!! unless suicide has effected you in any way... you don't have a clue!!!! how sad you think more about someone passing by then you do for the family he left behind!!!! half of you should be ashamed of yourselves!!! let's hope none of you are ever effected by suicide... why go on about safety measures put into place? let's make safe trees people hang themselves from let's put safety covers over rivers shall we, let's make safe tablets so people can't overdose.... if someone wants to die... they will find away... all I can say is rest in peace mate and I hope you find what you long for!!!!!![/p][/quote]my father also committed suicide, he jumped from rottingdean cliffs, he called police first to clear the area and have an ambulance on standby to take him away so as to protect as many members of the public as possible. i do believe this man should have choosen somewhere less public, i also agree that mayb it was a sharp decision however i feel deeply for the people who witnessed as well his family and friends and him...selfish, a little, cowardly most definatly not! patchamgirl
  • Score: 0

9:06am Wed 6 Oct 10

Made In Sussex says...

However ill somone maybe it is still selfish to take your life in public. Its not just those that have to witness it but those who could and have ended up dead because of it. A few years ago someone commited suicide in a car on a level crossing and ended up killing a number of passengers on the train. An extreme case maybe..but how would you feel if someone commiting suicide killed your loved one or family member in the process. And please no rants, I mean no disrespect to the man or family involved just voicing my own valid opinion.
However ill somone maybe it is still selfish to take your life in public. Its not just those that have to witness it but those who could and have ended up dead because of it. A few years ago someone commited suicide in a car on a level crossing and ended up killing a number of passengers on the train. An extreme case maybe..but how would you feel if someone commiting suicide killed your loved one or family member in the process. And please no rants, I mean no disrespect to the man or family involved just voicing my own valid opinion. Made In Sussex
  • Score: 0

9:56am Wed 6 Oct 10

Ballroom Blitz says...

Made In Sussex wrote:
However ill somone maybe it is still selfish to take your life in public. Its not just those that have to witness it but those who could and have ended up dead because of it. A few years ago someone commited suicide in a car on a level crossing and ended up killing a number of passengers on the train. An extreme case maybe..but how would you feel if someone commiting suicide killed your loved one or family member in the process. And please no rants, I mean no disrespect to the man or family involved just voicing my own valid opinion.
Well put.
[quote][p][bold]Made In Sussex[/bold] wrote: However ill somone maybe it is still selfish to take your life in public. Its not just those that have to witness it but those who could and have ended up dead because of it. A few years ago someone commited suicide in a car on a level crossing and ended up killing a number of passengers on the train. An extreme case maybe..but how would you feel if someone commiting suicide killed your loved one or family member in the process. And please no rants, I mean no disrespect to the man or family involved just voicing my own valid opinion.[/p][/quote]Well put. Ballroom Blitz
  • Score: 0

9:57am Wed 6 Oct 10

RichieCrawley says...

He genuinely missed me and several other shoppers by feet - I'd just walked out of Boots towards the escalator. I kept re-living it last night as I fell asleep. I'll never forget the sound of him landing. I have a pretty strong stomach for things like this, but it was such a shock and such a tragic end. I was annoyed by all the gaupers and people getting on their phones to tell their friends - especially those making stuff up about the scene being covered in blood - which it wasn't

The guy was so obviousley troubled to have done this. Agreed, he could have done this somewhere private, but I guess didn't want to go undiscovered.

I feel so sorry for his family and friends.

Rest in peace.
He genuinely missed me and several other shoppers by feet - I'd just walked out of Boots towards the escalator. I kept re-living it last night as I fell asleep. I'll never forget the sound of him landing. I have a pretty strong stomach for things like this, but it was such a shock and such a tragic end. I was annoyed by all the gaupers and people getting on their phones to tell their friends - especially those making stuff up about the scene being covered in blood - which it wasn't The guy was so obviousley troubled to have done this. Agreed, he could have done this somewhere private, but I guess didn't want to go undiscovered. I feel so sorry for his family and friends. Rest in peace. RichieCrawley
  • Score: 0

11:15am Wed 6 Oct 10

pun master says...

Ballroom Blitz wrote:
Made In Sussex wrote: However ill somone maybe it is still selfish to take your life in public. Its not just those that have to witness it but those who could and have ended up dead because of it. A few years ago someone commited suicide in a car on a level crossing and ended up killing a number of passengers on the train. An extreme case maybe..but how would you feel if someone commiting suicide killed your loved one or family member in the process. And please no rants, I mean no disrespect to the man or family involved just voicing my own valid opinion.
Well put.
Again though, you're mssing the point... the chances are that due to his mental state he had no comprehension of what he was actually doing. Read up on the physchology of suicide and you might learn a thing or too...
[quote][p][bold]Ballroom Blitz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Made In Sussex[/bold] wrote: However ill somone maybe it is still selfish to take your life in public. Its not just those that have to witness it but those who could and have ended up dead because of it. A few years ago someone commited suicide in a car on a level crossing and ended up killing a number of passengers on the train. An extreme case maybe..but how would you feel if someone commiting suicide killed your loved one or family member in the process. And please no rants, I mean no disrespect to the man or family involved just voicing my own valid opinion.[/p][/quote]Well put.[/p][/quote]Again though, you're mssing the point... the chances are that due to his mental state he had no comprehension of what he was actually doing. Read up on the physchology of suicide and you might learn a thing or too... pun master
  • Score: 0

12:11pm Wed 6 Oct 10

weggy says...

please please will you all stop and think for a moment what you are saying. He was someone's MUCH LOVED SON, BROTHER, Possibly even Husband or father. They will being going through absolute hell on earth right now and don't need to hear some of the comments made about him. I know this as my mother committed suicide in her own home. That was bad enough. You end up blaming yourself and wondering if there was some way you could have prevented it. As many of you have said, they are not capable of thinking straight when they do it. My mother tried several times before she finally succeeded and it put the family through absolute hell.

Please spare a thought also for those who had to deal with the aftermath. My husband was a serving police officer for 30 years and he had to deal with suicide cases many times throughout his career. They DO NOT have any idea what they are doing. Sometimes its a spur of the moment thing because something traumatic has happened. i e broken romance or divorce, others because of mental health issues.

This young man was neither selfish or a coward just obviously in a bad place in his life.

The issue here is that there are too many young people, particularly men of this age doing it. we need to address the care that they are given first.

I am really sorry that people saw this yesterday, as I said in an earlier comment, my heart goes out to everyone.

Barriers won't work if they're determined enough, my mum took overdoses for 30 years but was always found in time. The last time she wasn't I was told 10 years before she died by a consultant that she would ultimately succeed and she did.

If anyone needs to talk it through there is a very good organisation called i believe survivors of victims of suicides. its designed for anyone who witnessed or has had a suicide of someone close to them. They helped me enormously when my mum died. You can find them on google.
please please will you all stop and think for a moment what you are saying. He was someone's MUCH LOVED SON, BROTHER, Possibly even Husband or father. They will being going through absolute hell on earth right now and don't need to hear some of the comments made about him. I know this as my mother committed suicide in her own home. That was bad enough. You end up blaming yourself and wondering if there was some way you could have prevented it. As many of you have said, they are not capable of thinking straight when they do it. My mother tried several times before she finally succeeded and it put the family through absolute hell. Please spare a thought also for those who had to deal with the aftermath. My husband was a serving police officer for 30 years and he had to deal with suicide cases many times throughout his career. They DO NOT have any idea what they are doing. Sometimes its a spur of the moment thing because something traumatic has happened. i e broken romance or divorce, others because of mental health issues. This young man was neither selfish or a coward just obviously in a bad place in his life. The issue here is that there are too many young people, particularly men of this age doing it. we need to address the care that they are given first. I am really sorry that people saw this yesterday, as I said in an earlier comment, my heart goes out to everyone. Barriers won't work if they're determined enough, my mum took overdoses for 30 years but was always found in time. The last time she wasn't I was told 10 years before she died by a consultant that she would ultimately succeed and she did. If anyone needs to talk it through there is a very good organisation called i believe survivors of victims of suicides. its designed for anyone who witnessed or has had a suicide of someone close to them. They helped me enormously when my mum died. You can find them on google. weggy
  • Score: 0

12:19pm Wed 6 Oct 10

weggy says...

HAVE FOUND THE WEBSITE FOR THE ORGANISATION I MENTIONED IT IS AS FOLLOWS
WWW.UK-SOBS.GOV.UK THE TELEPHONE NUMBER AVAILABLE FROM 9AM TO 9PM IS 0844 561 6855
THANKS
HAVE FOUND THE WEBSITE FOR THE ORGANISATION I MENTIONED IT IS AS FOLLOWS WWW.UK-SOBS.GOV.UK THE TELEPHONE NUMBER AVAILABLE FROM 9AM TO 9PM IS 0844 561 6855 THANKS weggy
  • Score: 0

12:25pm Wed 6 Oct 10

Lgreco says...

"Made in britain" i thank you for putting my point across in a much clearer context.

Its a shame that everyone is so hung up on it - Guess they must be Devout Christian, Jehova , Or therapists. Really not good to see people who are so fake and cant see life how it is.

Alot of people have felt suicidal but get over it. Okay in this case unfourtunatley the cons out weighed the pros, and for this im sorry that the people in his life had not noticed this before.

A life is priceless don't take my words for anything but
"Made in britain" i thank you for putting my point across in a much clearer context. Its a shame that everyone is so hung up on it - Guess they must be Devout Christian, Jehova , Or therapists. Really not good to see people who are so fake and cant see life how it is. Alot of people have felt suicidal but get over it. Okay in this case unfourtunatley the cons out weighed the pros, and for this im sorry that the people in his life had not noticed this before. A life is priceless don't take my words for anything but Lgreco
  • Score: 0

1:50pm Wed 6 Oct 10

anonymous coward says...

@Lgreco

Do you seriously think that the Mall owners should be liable for people committing suicide? Are you mentally retarded? Every balcony needs wire netting. Every visitor needs strip searching for items he could use to take his own life. Every glass door needs removing. Shops can't sell items that could be used to harm oneself. Apply brain for 5 seconds and leave the keyboard.
@Lgreco Do you seriously think that the Mall owners should be liable for people committing suicide? Are you mentally retarded? Every balcony needs wire netting. Every visitor needs strip searching for items he could use to take his own life. Every glass door needs removing. Shops can't sell items that could be used to harm oneself. Apply brain for 5 seconds and leave the keyboard. anonymous coward
  • Score: 0

2:13pm Wed 6 Oct 10

Sarah101 says...

@Lgreco, this man was severly autistic he did not do this to hurt other people he didnt understand that it would he has been let down by our social services where was his help when he needed it before it was too late think of his family and the people arround him before you carry on please its a hard time for them take into consideration how you would feel if it was someone you loved before you say anthing else.
@Lgreco, this man was severly autistic he did not do this to hurt other people he didnt understand that it would he has been let down by our social services where was his help when he needed it before it was too late think of his family and the people arround him before you carry on please its a hard time for them take into consideration how you would feel if it was someone you loved before you say anthing else. Sarah101
  • Score: 0

3:48pm Wed 6 Oct 10

weggy says...

lgreco

Can I suggest you go onto the internet and look at the causes of suicide and mental health issues. This poor young man had autism, you can also go onto the internet and look that up as well while you're at it. Any doctor will tell you there is huge difference between feeling depressed and actual clinical depression. I say again, Stop being so callous and have respect both for him and his family. They are going to suffer the effects of this for the rest of their lives. Put yourself in their shoes. But then as you are so perfect you might find that difficult.
lgreco Can I suggest you go onto the internet and look at the causes of suicide and mental health issues. This poor young man had autism, you can also go onto the internet and look that up as well while you're at it. Any doctor will tell you there is huge difference between feeling depressed and actual clinical depression. I say again, Stop being so callous and have respect both for him and his family. They are going to suffer the effects of this for the rest of their lives. Put yourself in their shoes. But then as you are so perfect you might find that difficult. weggy
  • Score: 0

4:46pm Wed 6 Oct 10

rachelbignell says...

for anyone to say the people around him should of known what his problems were to prevent this are complete idiots!!!! if his family or friends read this I beg you not to listen to that ****! no one is to blame! and no one should be made to feel guilty either! and as I said my father committed suicide I didn't see it coming and I will certainly not be made to feel guilty! you can not prevent suicides... you can prevent attention seekers from doing it because all they want Is a cry for help!!! you can not prevent someone who feels so low to not commute suicide that's why they do what they do... they don't mean to hurt others they just don't care anymore... it seems selfish to some and selfish to me at times but never a cowardly act!!! rest in peace to the man and to all those that genuinely care about what happened...please remember these people for how they were before their illness and to those of you that have a nightmare because you were there... or those of you that this man made you late for something or it inconvienienced you in any way .... Shame on you to not think about the nightmares his family and friends have because they wasn't with him or because they will never ever see him again!
for anyone to say the people around him should of known what his problems were to prevent this are complete idiots!!!! if his family or friends read this I beg you not to listen to that ****! no one is to blame! and no one should be made to feel guilty either! and as I said my father committed suicide I didn't see it coming and I will certainly not be made to feel guilty! you can not prevent suicides... you can prevent attention seekers from doing it because all they want Is a cry for help!!! you can not prevent someone who feels so low to not commute suicide that's why they do what they do... they don't mean to hurt others they just don't care anymore... it seems selfish to some and selfish to me at times but never a cowardly act!!! rest in peace to the man and to all those that genuinely care about what happened...please remember these people for how they were before their illness and to those of you that have a nightmare because you were there... or those of you that this man made you late for something or it inconvienienced you in any way .... Shame on you to not think about the nightmares his family and friends have because they wasn't with him or because they will never ever see him again! rachelbignell
  • Score: 0

5:28pm Wed 6 Oct 10

Nayzapela says...

I know I don't live here anymore but I worked in County mall a few years ago. I now work in Mental Health. I think its very easy to blame CMHT's but do any of you actually know what its like to work with someone with a mental illness? I cant comment on Crawleys CMHT but from experience they often are under funded from the government and therefore understaffed, also from the stress from the type of work staff can quite often be on long term sick with there own mental health issue. In the best will in the world someone can get all the help all the time but cannot be treated if they are not willing to help themselves. None of us know the exact details surrounding this incident or whether he had a mental illness or even being treated by a CMHT so I think really its wrong to speculate that!
I know I don't live here anymore but I worked in County mall a few years ago. I now work in Mental Health. I think its very easy to blame CMHT's but do any of you actually know what its like to work with someone with a mental illness? I cant comment on Crawleys CMHT but from experience they often are under funded from the government and therefore understaffed, also from the stress from the type of work staff can quite often be on long term sick with there own mental health issue. In the best will in the world someone can get all the help all the time but cannot be treated if they are not willing to help themselves. None of us know the exact details surrounding this incident or whether he had a mental illness or even being treated by a CMHT so I think really its wrong to speculate that! Nayzapela
  • Score: 0

12:02am Thu 7 Oct 10

DML says...

My wife and daughter were feet away, and thankfully safe, this could have turned out even worse as many of you have already mentioned. Of course, my heartfelt sympathy goes out to his family, friends and witnesses. As its been mentioned, its obvious he was not well, anyone that takes their life are in a bad place, and unlikely to prevent if someone’s mind is made up.

In June and July a friend of ours was killed on a bike, my daughters friend (11) was killed in a tragic accident and my other daughters friend (15) was killed on the motorway. We are all still reminded each day of these very sad losses, so I can only imagine how terrible everyone will feel by this poor young chap that ended his life in such a terrible way... RIP ..
My wife and daughter were feet away, and thankfully safe, this could have turned out even worse as many of you have already mentioned. Of course, my heartfelt sympathy goes out to his family, friends and witnesses. As its been mentioned, its obvious he was not well, anyone that takes their life are in a bad place, and unlikely to prevent if someone’s mind is made up. In June and July a friend of ours was killed on a bike, my daughters friend (11) was killed in a tragic accident and my other daughters friend (15) was killed on the motorway. We are all still reminded each day of these very sad losses, so I can only imagine how terrible everyone will feel by this poor young chap that ended his life in such a terrible way... RIP .. DML
  • Score: 0

7:07am Sun 10 Oct 10

monkey-moo says...

rachelbignell wrote:
for anyone to say the people around him should of known what his problems were to prevent this are complete idiots!!!! if his family or friends read this I beg you not to listen to that ****! no one is to blame! and no one should be made to feel guilty either! and as I said my father committed suicide I didn't see it coming and I will certainly not be made to feel guilty! you can not prevent suicides... you can prevent attention seekers from doing it because all they want Is a cry for help!!! you can not prevent someone who feels so low to not commute suicide that's why they do what they do... they don't mean to hurt others they just don't care anymore... it seems selfish to some and selfish to me at times but never a cowardly act!!! rest in peace to the man and to all those that genuinely care about what happened...please remember these people for how they were before their illness and to those of you that have a nightmare because you were there... or those of you that this man made you late for something or it inconvienienced you in any way .... Shame on you to not think about the nightmares his family and friends have because they wasn't with him or because they will never ever see him again!
Just because YOU didn't see it coming, is not a reason to call other people idiots.
I served for many years in HM forces, and as a result was recently diagnosed with PTSD. If it was not for the people close to me noticing the symptoms of this, i would be dead myself by now.
So, the people around you SHOULD recognise problems. They are not to blame if they don't, but who else will see any slight change if not the people who love you?
[quote][p][bold]rachelbignell[/bold] wrote: for anyone to say the people around him should of known what his problems were to prevent this are complete idiots!!!! if his family or friends read this I beg you not to listen to that ****! no one is to blame! and no one should be made to feel guilty either! and as I said my father committed suicide I didn't see it coming and I will certainly not be made to feel guilty! you can not prevent suicides... you can prevent attention seekers from doing it because all they want Is a cry for help!!! you can not prevent someone who feels so low to not commute suicide that's why they do what they do... they don't mean to hurt others they just don't care anymore... it seems selfish to some and selfish to me at times but never a cowardly act!!! rest in peace to the man and to all those that genuinely care about what happened...please remember these people for how they were before their illness and to those of you that have a nightmare because you were there... or those of you that this man made you late for something or it inconvienienced you in any way .... Shame on you to not think about the nightmares his family and friends have because they wasn't with him or because they will never ever see him again![/p][/quote]Just because YOU didn't see it coming, is not a reason to call other people idiots. I served for many years in HM forces, and as a result was recently diagnosed with PTSD. If it was not for the people close to me noticing the symptoms of this, i would be dead myself by now. So, the people around you SHOULD recognise problems. They are not to blame if they don't, but who else will see any slight change if not the people who love you? monkey-moo
  • Score: 0

3:54pm Mon 11 Oct 10

oneflewoverthe says...

The statistics point towards men in this age group having many times more suicides than any other group, yet the amount of help for young men is shamefull, RIP who ever you are and shamefully you are proberly another victim of society turning its back on this huge problem.
The statistics point towards men in this age group having many times more suicides than any other group, yet the amount of help for young men is shamefull, RIP who ever you are and shamefully you are proberly another victim of society turning its back on this huge problem. oneflewoverthe
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree