Read our in-depth report on the Shoreham plane crash

One person has been killed after a light aircraft crashed into Adur recreation ground after a collision with another aircraft.

Sussex Police have said the pilot of the plane was a 63-year-old man from the local area.

The crash happened at about 4.30pm Monday. West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service, Sussex Police and the Sussex Air Ambulance Service attended the scene.

Sussex Police said the aircraft was in collision with another and then crashed on the recreation ground, close to Shoreham airport.

Police have established a cordon around the wreckage at Adur Recreation Ground.

The A259 Brighton Road has been closed and is likely to remain closed throughout the evening rush hour.

Rob Piatt, 41, from Shoreham, was in the Bridge Pub beer garden, when he saw one plane clip another which was flying beside it.

But while one of the planes flew off the other banked 180 degrees left and plummeted about 400ft to the ground, bursting into flames.

He said: “I heard the back of the aircraft pop and we saw someone desperately trying to steer round.

“It was only a small aircraft, a two or four-seater. It came down really quickly. It looked like it was flying away from the airfield after taking off.”

The second plane, a Diamond Star DA40 plane, is owned by Flying Time, and managed to land at Shoreham Airport minutes after the collision.

In a statement Flying Time Aviation said: “We can confirm there has been an incident involving one of our aircraft.

"We are uncertain of the details at the present time and the incident is under investigation by the Air Accident Investigation Bureau and Sussex Police.

“We have been training pilots since April 2006, and have never before had a serious incident during the history of our flight training organisation.

“Safety is and always has been our main priority.”

Jonathan Candelon, operations director of Flying Time Aviation said both pilots operating the Diamond Star aircraft were uninjured in the incident.

He said: “Both people in the aircraft are completely fine.

“Even though the aircraft was completely disabled the pilot managed to land it back on the airport.

"He did a very good job in the circumstances.”

Did you witness the accident? Call 01273 544525, Send us your pictures to or text them to 80360 with the tagline SUPIC in the message.