Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment dies in Afghanistan
7:00am Monday 21st November 2011 in News
A British soldier from the 1st Battalion The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment has died in Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence revealed last night.
He was in Jamal Kowi, Nahr-e Saraj district, central Helmand, when an improvised explosive device was set off.
The MoD said the soldier's family had been informed.
Spokesman for Task Force Helmand, Lt Col Gordon Mackenzie, gave tribute.
He said: "It is with a heavy heart that I must confirm the death of a soldier from the 1st Battalion The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment earlier today after an explosion in the Jamal Kowi area of Nahr-e Saraj, Helmand Province.
"Our deepest condolences are extended to his family at this very difficult time and all of our thoughts and prayers are with them."
The family has asked for a 24-hour period-of-grace until more details are released.
The deaths bring the total number of UK military personnel killed in operations in Afghanistan since 2001 to 389.
Comments are closed on this article.