Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Haywards Heath house fire started by Christmas tree lights
6:14pm Sunday 1st January 2012 in News
A fire broke out after Christmas tree lights were left on in an empty home.
Three fire crews from Haywards Heath and Hurstpierpoint attended the house fire in Walnut Park, Haywards Heath for more than three hours after it was reported at just after 3pm today.
The lights set the Christmas tree alight before spreading through the lounge causing considerable damage to the living room and smoke logging the rest of the one-bed flat.
The resident of the flat was out at the time and no-one was injured during the fire which took four firefighters in breathing apparatus to put out.
Haywards Heath Watch Commander Neal Martin said: “This incident should act as a warning to people to turn their Christmas tree lights off when they leave the house and before they go to bed.”
Comments are closed on this article.