3:40pm Friday 17th February 2012
Travellers were evicted from an area of Brighton yesterday (February 16) The group of New Age travellers were moved from land at 39 Acres, adjacent to Ditchling Road, in the morning.
A Brighton and Hove City Council spokesman said: “The site will be cleared and secured as soon as possible.
“It is understood the group has now occupied land off Devil’s Dyke Road, known as 19 Acres, and council staff will be visiting the site with police to decide the most appropriate course of action and monitoring the site.
“The travellers had been at 39 Acres since January 5.”
Currently there are a number of unauthorised encampments in the city.
A council statement said: “There is an unauthorised encampment of travellers at 19 Acres, land adjacent to Devil’s Dyke Road.
“We will be visiting this site with the police as soon as practicable to carry out a community impact assessment in order to determine the most appropriate course of action.
“There is a small group of lived-in vehicles in the Duke’s car park at the entrance to Stanmer Park.
“At the county court hearing on Monday, January 16, we were successful in obtaining a Possession Order for this land.
“We are negotiating a leaving date with the occupants of this encampment, so as to avoid a costly formal eviction, and disruption to the education of the children on site.
“Whilst this encampment remains we will continue to monitor the site with the police.”
A traveller who was moved from 39 Acres said: “The council have been OK. But we will move elsewhere.
“I have been in Brighton for years and want to stay here so we are going to find somewhere else to stay in the city.”
More news from The Argus
Like us on Facebook
Add us to your circles on Google+
© Copyright 2001-2013 Newsquest Media Group