Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Waste pile set to remain for weeks in Brighton garden
3:00pm Thursday 12th April 2012 in News
A mountain of waste will remain in a city garden for weeks to come.
After a series of complaints from neighbours, Brighton and Hove City Council gave Olive Taylor a month to clear the rubbish and recycling outside her home, adding it was posing a health risk.
But with the deadline passed and the local authority’s contractors ready to move in, the 87-year-old, of Evelyn Terrace, Brighton, has now secured an extra eight weeks to put the front garden in order.
Miss Taylor, who has raised thousands of pounds for charity by recycling tin cans, told The Argus yesterday: “It’s all recycling, I do not keep rubbish.
“The council took me to court in 2003. The court told the council then they were never to bring me back to court again about recycling.
“I don’t think they are coming tomorrow. I’ve paid £80 for an extension. I’ve had a friend around who has helped me tidy up some of it.”
The Argus exclusively broke the story about Miss Taylor last month after the local authority obtained a court order.
The council, which owns the three-bedroom home she has lived in for nearly 80 years, said she had broken the rules of her lease and that she had rejected offers from community groups to tidy the garden for her.
The deadline given was April 10.
Despite some of the piles being tidied up, the council yesterday said its contractors were ready to go into the garden today.
But within hours the local authority had done an about turn, saying an application for an extension had been submitted to Brighton County Court.
A council spokesman said: “The clearance has been cancelled. Miss Taylor has been awarded a stay of execution for eight weeks and so enforcement action is now on hold. The council will continue to offer support to Miss Taylor to encourage her to comply with the terms of the possession order herself.”
The local authority did not provide details of how much the action had cost so far.
However it did state that if the area was not cleared by the time the revised order expired, it would recover any costs of clearance from Miss Taylor.
It added it would do everything possible to avoid evicting her from the property.
Council leader Bill Randall said: “We have made every effort to work with Miss Taylor to encourage her to be a good neighbour and keep her garden tidy. This has included offers of help from volunteers from the Neighbourhood Care Scheme.
“Unfortunately she has refused all offers of help and we are left with no alternative but to get the necessary court order to get the garden cleared.”