Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Brighton mum's horror as baby's nappy 'explodes'
A horrified mother woke to find her screaming baby’s nappy had “exploded”.
Candy White from Brighton was “terrified” to find one-year-old daughter Emily-Joy’s face covered in urine-soaked nappy gel.
Just a week before another of the little girl’s nappies had “exploded” while her mother was changing her.
An angry Mrs White complained to nappy maker Pampers who replied that the leaked gel was “safe”.
Mrs White said: “I’m absolutely disgusted. My daughter could not see me as this stuff was covering her eyes and hanging out of her mouth.
“I was absolutely frantic with worry because we didn’t know what to do.
"This was clearly a danger to my child.
"The first time it happened I was concerned but the second time I was terrified.
“Pampers told me it was completely safe, but this gel was soaked in urine and had got into my daughter’s mouth.”
Emily-Joy later developed a severe nappy rash which her mother blamed on the gel.
Mrs White had to phone a doctor to get a strong cream to clear up the skin irritation.
She said: “This was bad but it could have been so much worse. It was really scary and completely unacceptable.
"This needs to be sorted out before a baby chokes and dies because their nappy has exploded.”
After Mrs White complained, Pampers sent her a £10 voucher – to buy more nappies.
She said: “The idea that I would buy any more Pampers products is just insulting.
“I’ve ripped up their letter and thrown it in the bin. They clearly aren’t taking the problem seriously.”
A Pampers spokeswoman admitted the gel could burst but only “if the child’s bladder has grown”.
She said: “I can assure Mrs White that the crystals which leaked out of the nappy are safe for use next to a baby’s skin and even if they are accidently ingested.
“We get very few cases like this but of course we take each one very seriously as we understand the distress and inconvenience this type of occurrence can cause for both parents and babies.
“It’s really important to us that we understand what has happened so we’ve sent Ms White a prepaid envelope and asked if she can return a sample of the unused product to us for further investigation.”