Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Hundreds attend funeral of Brighton teenager Connor Saunders
Hundreds of people turned out to celebrate the life of a teenager who died after an argument in the street.
Connor Saunders, 19, died in hospital after the incident outside Tesco Express in West Street, Rottingdean, last month.
Today (May 11) more than 200 people packed into St Margaret's church in Rottingdean for a service celebrating the talented footballer's life.
A further 300 gathered in a marquee in the church grounds listening to the service broadcast live.
Connor's father, Shaun Saunders, of Downsway, Woodingdean, paid a tearful tribute to the "most beautiful and lovliest boy anyone could have met" adding the death had "changed our family's lives forever".
Apart from the sounds of people crying, there was silence as the all-blue coffin with white flowers, the colours of Connor's football team Chelsea, was carried into the church grounds.
Among the bearers was former X-Factor contestant Frankie Cocozza, who went to pre-school and played youth football with Connor.
Mr Saunders broke down when he read a letter from the organ donor body which said Connor had saved five lives.
The teenager had signed the papers on his 16th birthday without telling anyone.
Mr Saunders said: "He has left a legacy in life and even though his life was tragically cut short he would be happy he could support others."
Those in the church gave Mr Saunders a standing ovation at the end of his tearful address.
Connor's sister Courtney, his girlfriend Courtney and members of Peacehaven and Telscombe FC, his team, also paid tribute to the popular teen.
The funeral was put back by to post-mortem's being carried out on Connor's body.
A 14-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, has been charged with manslaughter after the incident on April 14.
He will next appear at Brighton Youth Court on 15 May, when his case will be committed to crown court.
Two other teenagers, a 13-year-old and a 14-year-old, were told they would face no further action after answering bail earlier this week.
See the full two-page report from Connor's funeral in the Saturday, May 12 edition of The Argus.
Comments are closed on this article.