Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Lack of funds scuppers White Night
A major cultural event will not go ahead this year.
White Night is an all-night cultural festival which takes place on the last Saturday in October.
But Brighton and Hove Arts and Creative Industries Commission has decided to take a year off from running it.
The event no longer receives the European Union Interreg funding which provided half of the £150,000 needed to put it on.
Last year the Arts Council turned down a funding application for £50,000.
Jackie Lythell, chair of the commission, said the decision not to go ahead this year was because of lack of funding and also because of the large number of other activities and events taking place in the Olympic and Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Year.
She said: “The event has been an enormous success over the last four years, but we need to take stock, to take a year out and take time to develop different ways of supporting it and making it happen.
“We are already in discus- sions with prospective sponsors for 2013 and open to any new ideas.”
Comments are closed on this article.