Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Teen accused of Connor Saunders' manslaughter pleads not guilty
2:11pm Friday 25th May 2012 in News
A 14-year-old boy has pleaded not guilty to the manslaughter of Connor Saunders.
The teenager, who cannot be named for legal reasons, is accused of punching Connor, of Downsway, Woodingdean, during an altercation in the street in Rottingdean, on April 14.
He entered his plea before Judge Anthony Scott-Gall at Hove Crown Court today.
Talented footballer Mr Saunders, 19, died at the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton on April 15.
Singer Frankie Cocozza, 19, who was one of the pallbearers at his friend's funeral, said he was proud to learn that Mr Saunders had signed up as an organ donor when he turned 16, which meant he went on to save five other lives.
A provisional date for a trial, at either Lewes or Hove Crown Court, was set for October 15 and the teenager was released on technical bail.
Two other boys, aged 13 and 14, who were both arrested on suspicion of murder following Mr Saunders' death, were told by Sussex Police earlier this month that no further action would be taken against them at this time.