Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Health officials launch investigation after 30 struck by food bug at Sussex County Cricket game
2:00pm Friday 29th June 2012 in News
ENVIRONMENTAL health officials have launched an investigation after 30 people were struck down by food poisoning after a Sussex county cricket match.
Ticket holders at the Boundary Rooms hospitality suite at The PROBIZ County Ground in Hove complained of becoming ill after eating at the match against Middlesex on June 22.
Out of the 240 guests in that area of the ground, Sussex County Cricket Club said about 30 had been hit by the bug.
It is believed the illness came from contaminated chicken parfait, although the club has been unable to confirm this at this stage.
Kevin Berry, the catering and hospitality manager for the club, said it was an isolated incident and that the ground’s kitchens had been fully inspected. He said: “The council’s environmental health officer has been and taken our records and is happy with our robust systems.
“It has affected a relatively small number of people, but that is still too many. We take this extremely seriously. My chefs take this personally.
“We have been serving this dish for four years and not had any problems.”
Tickets to the Boundary Rooms hospitality area cost £120 per head and include a four-course meal, wine, beer, soft drinks and entry to the match.
The kitchen serves a different menu at each T20 game but has served the parfait dish at other corporate events at the ground.
Mr Berry said another event on Sunday and had not led to any issues.
He added the ground was working with the environmental health officer and would be looking at any recommendations that were made.
The catering manager said the club had a “great relationship” with its guests and would ensure that continued.
One of those affected was office manager Tasha Dovey from Worthing.
She was at the event with her brother and a colleague as part of a work invite to the cricket once a year.
The 28-year-old said: “We went to the Boundary Rooms and had our meal which was all very nice.
“But then on Sunday we all started getting ill. I got stomach cramps and headaches and my brother got diarrhoea.
“It has carried on all week and my brother and colleague are still off as they were hit worse than me.”
Comments are closed on this article.