Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Brighton couple saved man choking on steak in Tenerife pub
A couple saved the life of a man as he choked on a steak dinner.
Matthew Riley, 29, was enjoying the meat in a Tenerife pub when it went down the wrong way.
He turned blue, could not breathe and thought he was going to die as attempts to dislodge the meat failed.
As people in the pub cried out, a couple appeared from the other side of the room and saved him.
While the man performed the Heimlich manoeuvre, thrusting his arms under Mr Riley’s ribs, the woman repeatedly thumped him on his back.
Mr Riley said the couple saved his life.
But all he knows is that they are from Brighton and were holidaying with two younger women, possibly their daughters.
The incident took place in Playa De Les Americas on Friday, July 13, in the afternoon.
'I want to thank them'
Mr Riley, from Bury in Greater Manchester, said: “I was on holiday with my girlfriend, her sister and her sister’s boyfriend.
“The steak got stuck in my throat. I went blue and couldn’t breathe.
“My girlfriend and her sister tried to help me but couldn’t do anything.
“I was gagging. It was awful. I thought I was dying.
“Then the couple ran over. In my opinion they saved my life.”
He said one of the girls with them was crying and after saving his life they immediately left to tend to her.
He is now hoping to trace the family and thank them.
“They just vanished,” he said.
“But I want to thank them.”
St John Ambulance advises that everyone should learn basic first aid because you never know when you might need it.
The organisation offers first aid advice at www.sja.org.uk .
Are you the mystery couple? Call Anna Roberts on 01273 544539.
Comments are closed on this article.