Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Hero neighbours rescue disabled man from Eastbourne fire
3:10pm Tuesday 4th September 2012 in News
A disabled man was rescued by heroic neighbours after a fire broke out at a flat in Eastbourne last night.
Three fire engines, along with an aerial ladder platform, were called to Clandon House, in Wakehurst Road, at about 7pm after plumes of smoke were spotted coming from a first-floor bedroom window.
The accidental fire started in the bedroom because of a discarded cigarette, which had not been properly put out.
On discovering there was a fire in the bedroom and unable to escape via the corridor, which had filled with smoke, the occupants stuffed a damp towel along the bottom of the door of the room that they were in.
A man dropping off his grandson immediately raised the alarm by contacting East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service and broke all alarm call points. This enabled occupants of the block of flats to get out of the building.
Meanwhile, a local resident placed a ladder on the outside of the property and one of the trapped men was helped to safety.
When crews arrived they helped the second man down the ladder along with a dog.
Watch Commander Kevin Sharpe said: “We would like to commend the passer by who raised the alarm which enabled everyone else to self-evacuate.
“We would remind smokers to extinguish any smoking materials or matches thoroughly before leaving them and, again, take this opportunity to emphasise the need for all householders to ensure they have at least one working smoke alarm in their properties"
The occupants were checked over by paramedics but did not go to hospital.
Comments are closed on this article.